Eco-Hike St Johns

ST MARTIN GAL

We will be on the Emerald Princess at St.Thomas on 4/4/11. We are interested in taking the St.John Eco-Hike & Beach excursion SST-479 thru the Ship. My question for anyone that has done this excursion how hard is the hike. They do make note saying you need to be in excellent physical condition. I'm not sure I would describe myself as in excellent shape :rolleyes:but I do areobic exercise 5 days a week, my husband is in better shape than I am. I am 61 and he is 63. Thanks for all your help on this.:)

Thank you for your response. I think I will go ahead and book it. There will be 5 other ships in port that day and we want to do something that isn't as crowded. We have been to St. Thomas and St.Johns before so wanted to try something different.

Once again thanks:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few questions - hope you can answer me.

When they say 2 hr hike, is that each way, or one way?

How long do you get to stay at the beach?

Do you know what beach it is?

Do they identify birds etc, or is it just a hike?

Thanks!

It is a one way hike, stopping at Honeymoon Beach, and on to the Caneel Bay resort. Google Caneel Bay to learn more...very beautifully maintained grounds with a bit of history. It is given by a naturalist who will identify birds, insects, plants, and coral types. Easy hike, peaceful, and the brief (45 minutes or so) stop at the beach is nice. A car picks you up at Caneel Bay and drives you back to the port for the boat back to St. Thomas. No food or snacks so bring your own. I would do it again. Enjoy!

Thanks for your details on the hike. I didn't think about bringing anything to eat so will bring energy bars. Husband going to bring day pack so we will bring water to drink and something to snack on. One more question. I will bring insect repellant (they love me) but wanted to know if anyone experienced more than normal insect problem on the hike. Also how if any are the sand fleas at the beach. We were at Caneel for a day adventure one year (staying on St. Croix for 2 weeks) and did not have any problems with sand fleas then. That was a few years ago though so just wondering what the current situation might be.

Thanks for your information.

Linda

Been to the Caribbean so many times and never had an insect problem. It never hurts to bring insect repellent though. Most of the hike is coastal so a constant mild breeze keeps the bugs away. As for sand fleas, you're rarely in one place long enough for them to set up camp on your body. Years ago while camping on the beach in Daytona, Florida, I had a major sand flea attack while asleep in the tent. But then again, I was still for hours at a time and they had no mercy!

A day pack with water is a great idea. When we arrived at the port in St. John, there was a vending machine to buy bottled water for the walk. This was about four years ago so things may have changed.

It is a one way hike, stopping at Honeymoon Beach, and on to the Caneel Bay resort. Google Caneel Bay to learn more...very beautifully maintained grounds with a bit of history. It is given by a naturalist who will identify birds, insects, plants, and coral types. Easy hike, peaceful, and the brief (45 minutes or so) stop at the beach is nice. A car picks you up at Caneel Bay and drives you back to the port for the boat back to St. Thomas. No food or snacks so bring your own. I would do it again. Enjoy!

Thanks for the detail About how many people were on the hike? Were the people in back able to hear what the guide was saying? I am most interested in the birding, and was wondering if there were many to be seen.

I think there were about 8 of us which made it even better. It was like a private tour. My guess is that it is not a very popular excursion for some reason. The naturalist giving the tour was quite an unusual guy...in a good way. Just eccentric making the tour memorable. He was one of those guys who is a total vegetarian, enjoys living off the grid, 60-ish, and knew the answer to every question. I hope this tour is just as good for you. Of course, a tour is a good as the guide makes it. Enjoy!

No, I think birds are beautiful so I would have noticed. I am just off the southern Caribbean itinerary, CB, this November and one of the large groups on the cruise was a Parrot Lovers groups. I asked to join one of their many excursions, even if I paid, and they said no. :(

Anyway, the focus was on plant life and coral and anything else we found along the way.

We probably won't do this one this time, but we'll consider it for the next. It would be more pressing if it were loaded with birds, but we haven't found alot of non-water birds on any of the islands we've been on, so far. Disappointing. I hear the mongoose populations have seriously depleted all the birds in many places, and that could be why.

Thanks again!

Archived