When do you start to pack?

hobbyhrs97

:D I have been throwing things in a box for the cruise for a year now, but we leave at 6 am Sunday morning and I have not put a thing in my suitcase yet...Guess I have all day tomorrow though! :o

...and yes I actually have a 'cruise box' - up on the shelf in the walk in cupboard - have not taken it down yet.....but it has a ton of great stuff (including lanyards, my portable digital luggage scale, [post-it notes, beach safe, and some 'clips' to keep that shower curtain from attacking me! ha ha ha :D)

I start trying on clothes about two weeks ahead to start coming up with outfits. I have an area of my closet that is just cruise stuff - snorkel gear, lanyards, camera, tote bag, waterproof case, etc. So, that makes the accessories easy. Usually a week before the cruise I bring out the suitcase and start just throwing things in. Then a few days before the cruise I actually pack the suitcase.

The process has gotten easier and quicker the more I cruise. :D

Master packers unite!! I have a packing spreadsheet that I use for all of my vacations. When I book a new vacation I modify it to fit that particular vacation. The spreadsheet also contains a page of tips that I pick up from the internet, books, and magazines. I created my vacation sheet this past week for my Alaska cruise in June. After I plan our activities for each port I create a list of outfits that are needed on that vacation for myself, my husband, and my daughter. This trip has been rather taxing due to the complexities of packing for an Alaskan cruise. I like to start purchasing items for my vacation a little at a time so that I don't have the expense all at once. I highlight each cell of the spreadsheet as I purchase an item and then place it in a suitcase. The day before my trip I will print out the packing list and then check off the items as I pack them. This way I ensure that I have everything I need which makes the trip much more enjoyable for me. My DH and DD think it's crazy - that is until we are on the ship and they never have to worry about needing anything. The one time they packed themselves for an Indian Princess camping trip, they were without some much needed items. I tend to remind them of that when they pick on me for my compulsive packing habits.

Archived