Just got my first call from the Upgrade Fairy..

traysd123

Do people get offered an upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony ever? Can you get an upgrade call even if you booked with an online travel company?

Yep happened to us on the Spirit last December...had booked a gty inside and was assigned a 4K ( french doors obstructed view) when we got to the pier we found out they had upgraded us to a Ocean Suite...best $500 TOTAL :D that we ever spent..

OP..you did the right thing...while the suite is awesome $700 is a lot of money and you and your family can do sooooooo much with that extra $$$

Ah, well as I said, this was the first time i received a call from them, so i apologize, it definitely was the UPSELL fairy.. I wish it had been the UPGRADE fairy :)

Lucy: Thanks for the tip on the balcony lock..i do admit that freaks me out to think about! And we just may all sleep in the big bed, my kids would LOVE that, a big slumber party every night!

Firemonkey: That is awesome!! I am amazed that they would call you for 5 hrs on one day, and then call you the next day again, just to give you a FREE upgrade.. THAT is customer service!

Eboni: That is definitely the way to start a vacation.. I bet you were doing some kinda dance about that upgrade!

G'ma: I am definitely happy with the room I picked..but like you said, if they wanted to GIVE me a suite, they wouldn't have to twist my arm :)

Afcj1 and Glendale: $700 is alotta moolah for 2 sinks and a tub, and it will definitely be better used having fun!!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and the tips.. I LOVE this site!!

I have been upgraded - twice in over 30 years of cruising...and being Platinum on Carnival... I never hold my breath, for sure....:p

Do people get offered an upgrade from an inside cabin to a balcony ever? Can you get an upgrade call even if you booked with an online travel company?

The only upsell we took was to go from a PT cabin to aft wrap. However we did book with Carnival.

I agree that you did the right thing!! That's a lot of money for an upgrade. I would have done it for maybe $200 but not $700, that's a whole cruise fare for someone. I can't wait to hear how you liked it. We will be taking 2 of my 3 girls ages 4 and 5 in August. Let me know what you think of the kids' activities. OK?

Thanks!! Have a GREAT time!!! Enjoy every minute!

I have only received one up sell call. It was to offer me a balcony from an ocean view for $200. The caller seemed surprised when I turned it down. She said “but it’s a balcony”. I said “but it's $200”. She also said that she saw that I have sailed before and may want to try a balcony. If she had really looked she would have noticed that my last three cruises were on a balcony. It sounds to me that not very many of the “up sells” are really worth the extra money. :o

I just called from the upsell fairy named Kevin. He offered ME a ocean suite (we have an aft balcony) on a 9-day Spirit cruise leaving in three weeks. And it was only going to cost me $900 more! From $700 to $900....YIKES!

Oh....I declined. Wanted to try an aft balcony!

I think our upgrade was partly because of CCL's screw up with our future cruise credit that we had purchased on our last cruise but they never charged our credit card. So when we went to use it we learned it had been canceled due to non payment. I was not a happy camper. Not sure if that is the case or not, but if it is I think that's a pretty decent way to make up for their mistake! :)

We actually got an upgrade on our cruise in Europe on the Freedom. We had a balcony cabin. Carnival called and my wife answered. She sitting there saying "Well I don't know", "Is it going to cost anything", etc., and finally hands the phone over to me and the guy is confused. He tells me they want to upgrade us to a Cat 11 suite for free and does not understand my wifes reluctance.

I grabbed it and the cabin was pretty sweet and it seemed a lot bigger than the standard balcony cabin. With a walk in closet, double bowl sinks in the bathroom, a jacuzzi tub and the DW loved the placement and size of the vanity.

just called me. They offered a oceanview to a suite upgrade for $700, which could buy a lot of DOD's. We declined, but asked what was available for a balcony upgrade. We ended up paying the equivelant of the pack and go rate for the balcony room, so all in all not too bad.

Thanks for all the replies concerning Caller I.D. I've never been offered an Upsell or Upgrade but will definitely pay closer attention in the future.

Congrats to those who get "the call".

Tracy- hope you and your family have a great cruise!

Our first (& only cruise so far) we booked an inside room thru an online travel company and carnival called me three days before Christmas and upgraded us for FREE (this was four yrs ago) to an oceanview. Our daughter and son in law was on this cruise also and had their cruise tied to ours so they got the upgrade also (FREE). I was surprised when they called and I considered it a great Christmas present that year...lol!!!

Guess I shouldn't expect the FREE upgrade call next time...lol!!!!

We actually got an upgrade on our cruise in Europe on the Freedom. We had a balcony cabin. Carnival called and my wife answered. She sitting there saying "Well I don't know", "Is it going to cost anything", etc., and finally hands the phone over to me and the guy is confused. He tells me they want to upgrade us to a Cat 11 suite for free and does not understand my wifes reluctance.

So why was your wife reluctant???

I agree that you did the right thing!! That's a lot of money for an upgrade. I would have done it for maybe $200 but not $700, that's a whole cruise fare for someone. I can't wait to hear how you liked it. We will be taking 2 of my 3 girls ages 4 and 5 in August. Let me know what you think of the kids' activities. OK?

Thanks!! Have a GREAT time!!! Enjoy every minute!

Thank you! I will let you know how the Spirit's camp is.. Is this your girls' first cruise? They will love Camp Carnival, my kids can't wait to get there again every time! They are like "peace out mom" and off they go!

Thanks to everyone for their kind words..we are getting so close, and the kids are stir crazy! It really doesn't matter if its your 1st cruise, or like us, our 5th cruise..it always feels like your first :)

Archived