What Equipment to Rent???

mcgraiha

Planning on snorkeling at Dzul Ha in Cozumel on our next cruise and renting equipment on-site as we do not have our own. Obviously, mask and snorkel is essential. What about fins and vest?? my dad is not a good swimmer and i am slightly concerned about current or wanting to head out deep for the rest of us. is it better and more enjoyable to rent everything or are fins and vests unneccessary? thanks for any help!

do you have a favorite waterproof sunscreen that you use? most of us are very fair skinned and i don't want to spend my vacation sunburned!

I'm a fair-skinned redhead myself and would recommend a lycra diveskin (costs about $30). If that's too expensive, a tight-fitting, dark-colored t-shirt and shorts will provide protection (a white t-shirt doesn't really provide any protection). The point is, you should consider physical, not chemical protection. Even "waterproof" sunscreens will wear off in salt water and all of them are bad for the reef and fish. Many of the protected snorkle/dive spots in Cozumel prohibit all but the most biodegradable sunscreens for this very reason.

Kathi

Don't spend any money till you get serious about snorkeling. Old teeshirt and tights for your legs would work just fine. They'll keep you warm, too. When you get serious about snorkeling, then you might consider buying a skin or 1mm wet suit.

thanks...great info. how do you know if a sunscreen is biodegradable? does it say on the label or are there specific brands? i know that in addition to a t-shirt/shorts, i will still need sunscreen also.

thanks...great info. how do you know if a sunscreen is biodegradable? does it say on the label or are there specific brands? i know that in addition to a t-shirt/shorts, i will still need sunscreen also.

You won't find it in a drugstore (at least I can't). If you're snorkling somplace that requires biodegradable sunscreen, they'll usually sell it on-site. You can also buy it from several small outfits on the web. Try http://www.ecodayspa.com/bodycare/suntanlotion.html. No matter where you buy it, it'll be expensive--$12 or so for a small bottle.

Kathi

Archived