Chair Hogs, Dress Codes and Smugglling Alcohol.

G&TQ

For me the bottom line is the rules are in place for a reason, whether you agree with them or not really shouldn't matter. You know the rules going in, is it that difficult to follow them? If you can't follow them then maybe cruising in general or this cruise line specific is not for you. I choose Carnival for it's cheaper rates, but don't find a need to break rules to make it cheaper for myself.

Flame away. I have my asbestos underwear on.

OK, that it! If you can wear your jammies in the MDR then so can I!!! I mean, if one person breaks the rules then shouldn't we ALL be allowed to?

:rolleyes:

Suggestion to Carnival: Instead of two formal nights, one formal night and one pajama night. Everyone is happy.

OP, great job!

I think a lot of the problem is that people see the word "rules" and immediately think "are made to be broken."

But the "rules" are in place so that all those zillion folks squashed into a (relatively) small space have some idea of how they can expect to be treated by their fellow passengers, and how they should treat those same passengers.

On land, we would call these things "manners" - matters of courtesy and respect that are common to almost all of us. They involve essentially no sacrifice of any kind - there's always another deck chair or theater seat or plate of food or place to eat it.

But, OP, I think it's a losing battle - I ate at the Chef's Table on my last Freedom cruise: 2 of the 5 men attending were wearing shorts and t-shirts, and 1 of the 6 women attending was wearing a halter top and short shorts. That, dear friends, is disrespectful - of the fellow diners and, most especially, of the chef and the servers.

If everybody knew how to play well with others, none of this would be a problem.

For me the bottom line is the rules are in place for a reason, whether you agree with them or not really shouldn't matter. You know the rules going in, is it that difficult to follow them? If you can't follow them then maybe cruising in general or this cruise line specific is not for you. I choose Carnival for it's cheaper rates, but don't find a need to break rules to make it cheaper for myself.

I've got a fire extinguisher in case you need it! :D:D

OP, great job!

I think a lot of the problem is that people see the word "rules" and immediately think "are made to be broken."

But the "rules" are in place so that all those zillion folks squashed into a (relatively) small space have some idea of how they can expect to be treated by their fellow passengers, and how they should treat those same passengers.

On land, we would call these things "manners" - matters of courtesy and respect that are common to almost all of us. They involve essentially no sacrifice of any kind - there's always another deck chair or theater seat or plate of food or place to eat it.

But, OP, I think it's a losing battle - I ate at the Chef's Table on my last Freedom cruise: 2 of the 5 men attending were wearing shorts and t-shirts, and 1 of the 6 women attending was wearing a halter top and short shorts. That, dear friends, is disrespectful - of the fellow diners and, most especially, of the chef and the servers.

If everybody knew how to play well with others, none of this would be a problem.

I agree with you, but I'm not sure if they realize that they're being disrespectful. Some people just have no clue about proper dress. I work in a casual environment and I have seen people come to work dressed in sweats and flannel lounge pants.

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

Not trying to be mean at all, but if one can't afford to buy the proper attire for their vacation, then maybe they should rethink that vacation.......

It's funny because you're getting more people that agree with your views on the Carnival board, which is supposedly "not as classy" as Royal Caribbean.

By your logic children, pregnant women and non-drinkers should not be allowed on the ship because they could lose Carnival revenue. Do you know for a fact Carnival charges more because people smuggle it? Do you know for a fact Carnival would lower prices if people stoped smugglling? Or is that just an assumption?

Lets take a look at booze smuggling and the bottom line. For one it's kind of like shoplifting in reverse. You are bringing it on board with the intention of not using the cruise lines alcohol as little as possible if not at all, an item I might remind you that generates income for the company.

The average drink onboard is what $4.00. You have say four drinks in the course of a day. Total 16.00 a day x 7 days = 112.00 doolars a week x 52 weeks = $5,724 a yr. for one person. Say 100 people a week do this on ONE ship. Annual lost revenue is $572,400 for one ship. I think I have errored on the low side also, as far as how many like to do this.

By your logic children, pregnant women and non-drinkers should not be allowed on the ship because they could lose Carnival revenue. Do you know for a fact Carnival charges more because people smuggle it? Do you know for a fact Carnival would lower prices if people stoped smugglling? Or is that just an assumption?

Lets take a look at booze smuggling and the bottom line. For one it's kind of like shoplifting in reverse. You are bringing it on board with the intention of not using the cruise lines alcohol as little as possible if not at all, an item I might remind you that generates income for the company.

The average drink onboard is what $4.00. You have say four drinks in the course of a day. Total $16.00 a day x 7 days = $112.00 a week x 52 weeks = $5,724 a yr. for one person. Say 100 people a week do this on ONE ship. Annual lost revenue is $572,400 for one ship. I think I have errored on the low side also, as far as how many like to do this.

So, where do you think this is made up? anybody

On Carnival either following the rules or not. :D

Ok but the dining room rules for dress ARE more relaxed, if you look at the dress code they state you can wear shorts but I hear people complaining all the time about people wearing shorts in the dining room. ??????

They seem to be following ship rules, but not rules people would LIKE to have.

I for one am not one for wearing shorts at all, I LIKE getting dressed nice for dinner, it makes the ambience of my cruise special, but there is nothing wrong with it if the rules say you can. I really couldn't care less about what people wear to dinner, and they have paid to eat in the MDR just as I have.

However common curtesy, please, thank you, excuse me. Not cutting in lines, not pushing ahead of others at the elevator. These are things that bug me.

Smuggling? I really have found ordering a bottle of something in your room is just easier,I used to be the first one to put Baileys in my suitcase, because they didn't offer Baileys through room service but now, why bother? But do I care if others smuggle? No, I really don't.

Chair hogs? I think they SUCK but it really again, doesn't affect me, I always use my balcony, it's quiet and I don't have small ones to watch and I don't tan.

Maybe Carnival should create a family only pool for people with kids that need watched, and an Adult only pool for those that want to make out in the pool.

I've learned a lot of hard lessons this last year in my life and one of them is, concentrate on your family and those you love, and forget what others do that irritate you, it's not worth the effort of getting annoyed.

I'm on vacation, whatever you do or don't do is not going to ruin my time off.

Just my perspective!!

Cheers, Carole

OP - Bravo!

As someone else said, the rules are the rules. You know them going in. If you don't like the rules, don't play the game. Find one to play that you like the rules. Even the smuggling rule...that some people say doesn't hurt anyone else....I won't even get into that argument. Bottom line is, that is the rule. Their ship...their rules. Find another ship or vacation type if you don't like the rules.

Those of you with children.....what you are teaching your children is you get to pick and choose which rules (and laws) you get to follow. Is that really what you want to teach your children? What will you say when they are thrown in jail for, say, selling drugs? That's not a law you get to choose to ignore? Sorry, you taught them it's okay to ignore laws they don't like.....

Agreed! Agreed! Agreed!

Not trying to be mean at all, but if one can't afford to buy the proper attire for their vacation, then maybe they should rethink that vacation.......

It's funny because you're getting more people that agree with your views on the Carnival board, which is supposedly "not as classy" as Royal Caribbean.

I was just realizing that - interesting dont you think?

to the OP: I totally agree with everything you say, except MAYBE the alcohol thing. I don't think movie ticket prices are rising because people are smuggling in their own snacks. I also don't think a person bringing their own booze on the cruise would buy the equivalent of it in legally purchased drinks either. As a college kid, I actually don't think the drinks are TOO overpriced.. like 5.25 on Carnival I think, but I would stick to spending no more than 30 on drinks my entire time. Bringing my own booze on the ship doesn't mean I still won't spend the 30 I was always planning on spending, I just might drink a tad more than I would have had I not brought the booze on the ship. I do think that the liquor you buy to bring to your room through CC is very overprised.. $60 for 3 Olives?? Thats INSANE! I spend 19.97 on it last weekend which means it's more than 3 times on the ship what someone can buy at home. As a business major, I understand their need for revenue, however I think they would find a decrease in smuggling if they made their liquor prices a tad more reasonable and cracked down much harder on smugglers. I know reasonably minded people should look at $500 cruise and say wow, what a deal, all my meals and lodging and I get to go to awesome places for $500 and just pay for my drinks! But people don't think that way. They see a $60 bottle of vodka and start thinking how they can fight the system. That's just my two cents.

The average drink onboard is what $4.00. You have say four drinks in the course of a day. Total $16.00 a day x 7 days = $112.00 a week x 52 weeks = $5,724 a yr. for one person. Say 100 people a week do this on ONE ship. Annual lost revenue is $572,400 for one ship. I think I have errored on the low side also, as far as how many like to do this.

So, where do you think this is made up? anybody

I respectfully disagree with the base drink price; believe it is closer to $8 before tip. We bring several bottles of wine with us; which the cruise line does not offer (Gold Hill, Conn Creek, etc). We still buy plenty o' drinks on board as well as gladly pay the corkage in the MDR. Silver Sea will be our next cruise due to the alcohol policy among other amenities.

There will always be people that follow to the letter of the law and those who don't why bother wasting you're time even worrying about being the hall monitor for adults? If it bothers you that bad make a formal complaint to ship personnel who will promptly turn around and ignore it for fear of losing the revenue of the "evil rule breaking party".

If someones hogging chairs.. who cares? walk the 20 ft to the empty one that has the same view of...gasp... the ocean! My gawd the thought of not being able to stare at scantily clad people in the pool (or children for that matter if thats why you want to be close) just ruins my cruise.

If someone smuggles booze on board.. oh wait if? As a former bar tender I can tell you for a fact that the cruise makes a ton of money off of booze it sells with or without people smuggling because a) they bulk order cheap booze b) they receive major discounts from companies for serving their product over others. Cost of a mai tai =9.50 cost to make the mai tai 2.50... don't worry your little heads that cruise rates will increase over the smuggling of liquor... believe me it doesn't have an effect. Ask someone with a financial background if you don't believe me.

No dress code... fact of life some peoples casual jeans are anothers sunday best. There are all types of people who all dress differently, so instead of sitting at dinner fuming how dare someone walk into my line of sight dressed in a manner I don't approve of... you take that fork stick it into the delicious food in front of you and chew appreciating the yummy goodness that is cruise food.

So come on people instead of complaining and whining ( well maybe that is vacation to you) just enjoy your own vacation. Now if a rowdy group of co-eds gets wasted and decides to interrupt your deck side nap with a water fight, someone shows up in their birthday suit to dinner, or makes a fort out of 30 deck chairs... then go complain. But really the rest of this is just so trivial and mundane it really just seems like people want to complain about something for the sake of sticking their nose high in the air and saying "na na na na na i'm right and you're wrong"

Personally i plan on laying back enjoying the sunshine and food and not giving a donkey's butt about what other cruise passengers may potentially be doing or not doing.

The average drink onboard is what $4.00. You have say four drinks in the course of a day. Total 16.00 a day x 7 days = 112.00 doolars a week x 52 weeks = $5,724 a yr. for one person. Say 100 people a week do this on ONE ship. Annual lost revenue is $572,400 for one ship. I think I have errored on the low side also, as far as how many like to do this.

No, shop lifting is stealing something that belongs to some one else. The reverse would be to give something to some one. Smuggling alchole is not stealing from anyone. Lost revenue? Who's to say those people would spend all that money on drinks if they couldn't smuggle? Lots of people have a budget when they cruise. That was some fantastic math based on assumptions you did there, but in the end it proves nothing. Not all rules are equal. Some rules can be bent and even broken without hurting other people. Do I smuggle alchole on the ship? No, but I wouldn't think less of some one for doing it.

There will always be people that follow to the letter of the law and those who don't why bother wasting you're time even worrying about being the hall monitor for adults? If it bothers you that bad make a formal complaint to ship personnel who will promptly turn around and ignore it for fear of losing the revenue of the "evil rule breaking party".

If someones hogging chairs.. who cares? walk the 20 ft to the empty one that has the same view of...gasp... the ocean! My gawd the thought of not being able to stare at scantily clad people in the pool (or children for that matter if thats why you want to be close) just ruins my cruise.

If someone smuggles booze on board.. oh wait if? As a former bar tender I can tell you for a fact that the cruise makes a ton of money off of booze it sells with or without people smuggling because a) they bulk order cheap booze b) they receive major discounts from companies for serving their product over others. Cost of a mai tai =9.50 cost to make the mai tai 2.50... don't worry your little heads that cruise rates will increase over the smuggling of liquor... believe me it doesn't have an effect. Ask someone with a financial background if you don't believe me.

No dress code... fact of life some peoples casual jeans are anothers sunday best. There are all types of people who all dress differently, so instead of sitting at dinner fuming how dare someone walk into my line of sight dressed in a manner I don't approve of... you take that fork stick it into the delicious food in front of you and chew appreciating the yummy goodness that is cruise food.

So come on people instead of complaining and whining ( well maybe that is vacation to you) just enjoy your own vacation. Now if a rowdy group of co-eds gets wasted and decides to interrupt your deck side nap with a water fight, someone shows up in their birthday suit to dinner, or makes a fort out of 30 deck chairs... then go complain. But really the rest of this is just so trivial and mundane it really just seems like people want to complain about something for the sake of sticking their nose high in the air and saying "na na na na na i'm right and you're wrong"

Personally i plan on laying back enjoying the sunshine and food and not giving a donkey's butt about what other cruise passengers may potentially be doing or not doing.

Well said! People need to mind their own business and enjoy their vacation... life is too short for so much foolishness

Very well said. Thanks.

This guy

colorplate12.JPG

Thinks this guy

business.jpg

is under dressed...who thinks this guy...

sports-jacket-with-jeans.jpg

Is under dressed....

All of which are probably better dressed than the vast majority of folks. Should i do one for the ladies?

To Saskd and those that say smuggling alcohol does not effect anyone else.

Why would Carnival and the other cruise lines be clamping down on inforcing these rules. Could it be lost revenue? If it is lost revenue, how do you think the cruise line makes up for it? Certinly not by lowering the cost of a drink or the cruise its self. I have seen some photos of people showing off how much alcohol the smuggle. Gallons of the stuff.

So yes I think it effects others in the price we pay for drinks and or cruising in general.

Right.....So if all of the alcohol smuggling ceased tomorrow the price of cruising and drinking on Carnival would come down. Nice theory, but that is not the reality.

Frankly, I can make a pretty compelling case going the other direction. Those of us that smuggle alcohol probably spend MORE on drinks, on average, than those that don't. Why? Think about it. You have a drink or two in your cabin before dinner. You are NOT going to be running back and forth to your cabin throughout the night to get more drinks. But, you are likely to want more drinks during dinner and throughout the evening. What does that mean? It means you are likely to BUY more drinks on the ship.

Trust me when I tell you we always smuggle a little on with us (mainly for having a drink on our balcony) but we always end up with a substantial bar bill.

OP, great job!

HOLY FREAKING CRAP! REALLY!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

OK, my hubby is a very casual dresser but he knows how to dress appropriately for special occasions.

One would assume there is no excuse for this level of disrespectfullness... but APPARENTLY that is not the case. Some people apparently just do not have a clue! We can assume these people cannot afford appropriate clothing...as they apparently have the extra money for the chef's table experience.

sheesh!

Archived