Hartmann - Wings

ViviKim

Hi,

We have the opportunity to buy some pieces of Hartmann Wing collection, and I am trying to decide if it is worthy to spend this money on it. When I say opportunity means we are not paying full retail but is still kind of expensive. The pieces we are planning to buy are:

27" expandable mobile traveler (3 pieces - We are a family of four so I figure, one for DH, one for me and one for our two girls).. It is really big, but the next size is 24" and the price difference is not that much, I figure for smaller trips we can pack one for all instead of one for each.

50" mobile traveler garment bag (next size Carry-on mobile traveler garment bag) I was not able to see these two in person to see the difference in size.

Mobile carry-All and Cosmetic case (These only because I really liked these pieces- I loved even more the Wings stripe but I don't see a lot of the pieces available so I don't know if they are being discontinued

I've never seen most of these pieces in person so I went to a store to check them out and they are really beautiful (that's when I liked Wings striped because it looks better in person than in the pictures) the quality is evident just looking at it but the weight even empty seems very heavy.

If anyone has any of these, please comment if you would recommend it, I would also love to hear from people that have had it for a long time and their experiences with quality and weight.

I also noticed that they sell, the plastic cover for them...Would these be helpful/necessary?

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks in advance

I have no experience with Hartmann luggage but they do have a fine reputation. There are a few things I would suggest you consider in your evaluation. The one thing that stands out in my mind is the weight, the 27 inch Wings weighs 17 pounds. If you compare that weight to 27 inch Briggs and Riley Transcend at 11.3 pounds or a 28 inch Eagle Creek Tarmac at 10.25 pounds you can see the Hartmann is pretty heavy. Both the Briggs and Eagle Creek have similar warranties to Hartmann. Hartmann for some reason gives the dimensions of their luggage but not its weight. I was able to get that information at luggagepro.com.

About Hartmann warranty it states to qualify for their warranty you must also meet this requirement.

Shak

Proof of Purchase

In order to benefit from our Absolute Assurance Guaranteeyou must present

proof of purchase by store receipt and product registration or Global Recovery System

registration.

http://www.hartmann.com/shop/images/pdf/Hartmann_Absolute_Assurance_Guarantee.pdf

Hartmann Wings is my dream luggage, if I won the lottery I'd buy at least one of each piece and travel the world with it. Even with my employee discount it's out of my reach (plus the fact I already have more than 2 complete sets of other brands ;)).

It's a bit on the heavy side, but not much more than "lightweight" luggage. What you forfeit in a lower weight (to me) is offset by style, performance and durability. I'd pack all silk and fewer shoes

Go for it, pack lighter and wiser and enjoy your Hartmann for many years to come. It's on the top of my list as all time luxury luggage. Next would come Bric's Safari in black or Life in olive, Briggs and Riley is great, Tumi is awesome, Victorinox used to be my standard to show, but the newer NXT 5.0 is a bit disappointing.

I don't know about all brands, just the ones we carry. I do stop by department stores and places like TJ Maxx or JC Penney at times and look at what they offer. There is just no comparison other than cheap luggage is in a rectangular shape like well made luggage. Our company stores carry almost all luggage at the same price as online stores, so do go in person if possible, there is a lot to learn about luggage.

I love my Hartmann Business Bag. Its a vintage piece, holds my large screen laptop and enough clothes for a weekend. It doesn't have the handle or wheels, but I can tote it easily with its double leather handles. I picked this up at a yard sale for 5$. Three zippered compartments with two extra zippered pockets. Also has pockets in the largest compartment for toletries.

Best bargain I ever got.

You can't go wrong with Hartmann luggage.

I have Hartmann luggage. The 50" mobile traveler (purchased new in 2006), another garment bag with just handles and a very old Hartmann garment bag (circa 1990 without the "pull" handle, just 4 small wheels and a very nice leather strap to pull the luggage).

My 50" mobile traveler has had more stress than most luggage would stand. In and out of military helicopters in the war zones, in and out of MRAP's (mine resistant, ambush protected vehicles), dragged across the dirt in Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan.

I have all tweed. DH has Wings. He has hardly used his 50" mobile traveler (a couple of cruises and a 2 month trip to Kuwait). Mine still looks new, even with all the abuse it has taken.

Heavy empty-yes. But I can still pack for a 2 week cruise in under 50 pounds PLUS carryon (makeup, electronics, a change of clothes just in case, etc. etc). I LOVE how my clothes look when I pull them out of the suitcase. All packed in cleaner bags, NO WRINKLES even for some of my linen stuff. I can usually put all my Dockers, all my dresses and a couple of blazers on the hook (about 12-14 wire hangers)

I am SOOOO glad I spent the money. I actually bought everything new on Ebay except the old Hartmann garment bag (used but in pristine condition from an estate sale). Saved about 60% over full retail. Best luggage I have ever had and I fly well over 100,000 miles per year and go to some pretty weird places for my business. You can't go wrong!!!

Thanks again, Happy KS is good to get a salesman point of view since you've been able to handle different brands

and Thank you Greatam and Dulcimergirl, it's good to hear from people that have it and and really enjoyed it...I just wanted to make sure, didn't want to regret it if I thought it was too heavy or its durability was not what I expect.

We have people bring in Hartmann luggage for repair that is 15-20 years old and has traveled the world many times over.

When you sacrifice durability for weight, you run the risk of bags being easily torn, wheels breaking, zippers coming apart. I think the airlines and cruiselines and all other places that toss luggage around can damage even the most well made piece. But, well made luggage will stand up to the rigors longer and the contents of the case will be more well protected. The weight not only comes from more durable fabric, but better wheels, framing within the piece, heavier zippers, better pull handles etc...

People have different ideas of value and I can't argue with either side. Some people prefer quality that last for years, some people like to spend a lot less and buy frequently. People also have different needs for travel. I'd not try to sell a person who only travels once a year on a budget a piece of Tumi or Hartmann, but I will steer a frequent traveler away from lesser quality bags.

Our business has changed over the few years I've been there. When I started we only carried top of the line. Now we carry lines in different price points, I like being able to offer our customers more of a choice.

Thanks again everyone for your comments, received the luggage yesterday

I got 3 of the 27", the makeup case and the mobile carry-all - the 50" garment did not arrive yet. I really loved them, even my 14 years old daughter who was not too happy about getting one because they were too "ugly" for her taste was very impressed by them and had to admit she loved it too. :) Now I can start packing...31 days until next cruise.

Did you get this piece?

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Hartmann+Wings+Cosmetic+Case&pf_id=PAOHIDJEAMHMLNCC&dept_id=11547

It is my very favorite piece we carry. OK, that and a belting leather duffle by Brics.

Yes, I got that one...I agree with you that is a really nice piece, I wasn't sure if I really needed it but I didn't want to pass on this one

Archived