Another Kona Question

cottagemama

I hope that Emi sees this question. Parker Ranch is located up in the town of Waimea which is a good distance away from Kona. I'd give you an estimate of time it would take to get there but my estimates for travel times around Kona have been remarkably inaccurate lately so I defer this to the Kona residents.

Spleen

Aloha! It will take about 45 minutes to get to Waimea and Parker Ranch. If the nut plantation is the one I'm thinking of it is in the completely opposite direction and that might take 45 minutes to an hour from the airport where you get your car too, though I'm not as sure about that time.

I do work in Waimea and live in Kona - so that one I'm very sure of.... :)

Have a wonderful time!!

Emi

Hi Emi,

We planned on stopping at Buns in the Sun to pick up a picnic lunch spread for our time in Kona with the rental car we're picking up at the airport....two quick questions for ya:

1) Have you been to Buns in the Sun, and would you recommend it? God knows I think their sandwiches sound great, and it's great they're open so darn early in the morning.

2) Besides the Place of Refuge and the Painted Church, we've got a few other stops jotted down: South Point, Hikiau Heiau temple at Kealakekua Bay, Holualoa town, Waimea for coastal views, and Hilton Waikoloa Village at Anaehoomalu Bay to check out their "A" bay....any thoughts on if any of these are a waste of time, or will we get a really good sense of your side of the Big Island from these stops?

As always, any and all info is greatly appreciated!

Kewone

Actually, no I've never eaten at Buns in the Sun though they have been around a long time and so...I would think they must be pretty good. Let me know!

Since you are thinking of several things to do south of Kona and then several things to do North of Kona, I personally would probably stick to one direction or the other. Traffic has become a very big problem around here and I personally don't like that to do that much hurrying back and forth on vacation.

I probably would head south this time and next time you come :D Head north!

Have a wonderful time!

Emi

Emi - Thanks for the input! When I get back from the cruise, I will post to this thread what my opinion of Buns in the Sun wound up being.

As for the driving itinerary, it might just end up being like a "National Lampoon's Vacation" (stop two seconds at each place to say we've seen it, then move on to the next!). Who knows...it depends on how energetic the hubby is feeling and how fast time flies that day.

Later,

Kewone

Archived