NCL lovers, please tell me something about EPIC

luckyprincess

Hi! I haven't cruised in a long time or been on the boards in a bit. I was really curious about Epic before it was finished and now that it's sailed a bit, I'm going to be looking at reviews and things. My parents have maybe had one real vacation in their lives and that was a cruise on RCCL to Western Carib. about 5 years ago. They really loved it and I know they would like to do it again. So my sister and I are trying to actually plan something. We've tried before but life seems to keep getting in the way.

Anyway....my parents are good, blue collar, simple people. They prefer the buffet to a dining room, are happy with simple, good food and love to people watch and relax. We would love to bring them on Epic because it is so cutting edge (great for me and sis!) but the 'freestyle' thing sounds good for my parents. Does Epic have a lot of buffet type food or at least restaurants that you don't have to get dressed up in and know which fork to use (that's my Dad's fear:D)? They loved Chops and Portofino's on RCCL, so they do like that kind of thing. Also, is there smoking areas that aren't really hard to get to on NCL? My Dad smokes :( and I don't want him having to go up a zillion stairs or floors to find somewhere to do so. We're thinking of a family mini suite with a balcony but not really sure yet.

So, I guess I would love to know from some of you Epic guests if you felt it was 'fancy' or was there lots of people that were more casual? And was the entertainment something that everyone would enjoy? I know on another cruise almost every bar at the end of the night was club music, which wouldn't work here, lol! I'm off to look for some reviews but a lot of people that had a good time don't post one, so I'm looking for your experiences.

Thanks!

I think you will get better responses to direct questions once you have read through about the last 10 pages of posts here on NCL and also go to review page and read all the recent reviews on the Epic

With regards to what you state I'm off to look for some reviews but a lot of people that had a good time don't post one, so I'm looking for your experiences.

Doesn't make sense and what you should be doing is making your own decision based on the info you read.

Most here will tell you to take the negative with a "grain of salt".

Hi luckyprincess! Good questions and I think this is the best place to ask.

Sorry I can't answer as to the specifics of the Epic, but we have sailed on three different ships, so I can answer as to the general style of NCL. NCL has some great dining options. There is always a buffet on the ship and the newer ships have action stations where you can get almost any type of food.

The Main Dining Rooms will serve you in the style of a nice, but not snooty, restaurant. Yes, they will put your napkin in your lap, but not with the attitude like you don't know to put it in your lap, but as a service to pamper you. You can ask a question about any meal and they will explain the terms you don't understand (What's couscous??) They also usually have more of a coffee shop type sit down restaurant with comfort food. My husband is not a dress up kind of guy, and he feels very comfortable on NCL.

I hope that helps you a little until the other (nice) Epic cruisers can tell you more.

Hi! I haven't cruised in a long time or been on the boards in a bit. I was really curious about Epic before it was finished and now that it's sailed a bit, I'm going to be looking at reviews and things. My parents have maybe had one real vacation in their lives and that was a cruise on RCCL to Western Carib. about 5 years ago. They really loved it and I know they would like to do it again. So my sister and I are trying to actually plan something. We've tried before but life seems to keep getting in the way.

Anyway....my parents are good, blue collar, simple people. They prefer the buffet to a dining room, are happy with simple, good food and love to people watch and relax. We would love to bring them on Epic because it is so cutting edge (great for me and sis!) but the 'freestyle' thing sounds good for my parents. Does Epic have a lot of buffet type food or at least restaurants that you don't have to get dressed up in and know which fork to use (that's my Dad's fear:D)? They loved Chops and Portofino's on RCCL, so they do like that kind of thing. Also, is there smoking areas that aren't really hard to get to on NCL? My Dad smokes :( and I don't want him having to go up a zillion stairs or floors to find somewhere to do so. We're thinking of a family mini suite with a balcony but not really sure yet.

So, I guess I would love to know from some of you Epic guests if you felt it was 'fancy' or was there lots of people that were more casual? And was the entertainment something that everyone would enjoy? I know on another cruise almost every bar at the end of the night was club music, which wouldn't work here, lol! I'm off to look for some reviews but a lot of people that had a good time don't post one, so I'm looking for your experiences.

Thanks!

I loved NCL until I sailed on the Epic. I used to tell everyone and anyone to sail NCL because of the entertainment, shows, staff and ship layout. After having sailed Princess in May 2010 and then the Epic in December, there is no competition IMHO. The layout of the Princess ship was 1000x better. My honest Epic review can be found here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1326863&highlight=justcake

The food on Epic was the best I've ever had on a cruise but the ship itself was not anywhere near what I like. I missed the promonade deck to walk outside or just sit and watch the ocean (or people) One of my favourite features of Princess was the Movies Under the Stars and the adults only aft pool. Although Epic has Spice H20 it's just not the same. It all depends on exactly what you're looking for.

After our latest cruise on the Epic, I decided to quit worrying about what to wear! Your Dad sounds just like my Dad. Book a balcony for smoking. Your neighbors may not love you, though. The buffet (Garden Cafe) is terrific. You will find just about any kind of food. Even meat and potatoes and gravy -- a Dad favorite. I found no issue with stairs if you need to avoid them. There's even an escalator between decks 5 and 6. It's just like any ship. All kinds of people.

Oh, there is the bathroom issue! Parents should have their own cabin if they prefer privacy.

Archived