Bar Credit Coupons - Servers Jipped on Tips?

RDP3181

On my last cruise (which was actually my first cruise), I purchased several bar credit coupon books in advance to help keep on-board expenses down. I noticed that whenever I did not use the coupon, the servers seemed nicer than when I presented the coupon. At first, I just thought it was me, but then my wife noticed as well. I know it is not a processing time thing, as I purchased some drinks directly from the bar, and there was really no difference in the amount of time it took to process the transaction with or without the coupon. After reviewing the receipts, the only thing I could think of is that the coupon results in the servers receiving a smaller tip?

For example, with no bar coupon, a classic cocktail is $8.75, add 15% gratuity of $1.32, for a total of $10.07. With a bar coupon, the classic cocktail is $3.25 ($8.75 less $5.50 credit), 15% gratuity of $0.49, for a total of $3.74. Not everyone on the ship uses bar coupons, but there are many that do. I know if I was a server, I would be upset too if I lost $0.83 in gratuities for every drink I served.

I am cruising again this September and thought about ordering more coupons. While I liked using the coupons and keeping our on-board expenses down, I will not use them if it results in the hard working bar staff and servers receiving a lower gratuity. Does anyone know if this is true, or if maybe Carnival maybe sets a portion of the bar coupon sales to offset the difference in gratuity?

Did you actually see a receipt that showed the tax being charged on just the balance due or are you just thinking back and determining that must be how it's done to explain what you perceived as a kind of cold shoulder?

It doesn't seem right that they wouldn't get the full tip based on the price of the drink.

Isn't the 15% split between the bartender and server? So unless you add another $ here and there they would each only get 7.5% (which really isn't much.) Maybe they don't share it, but if you go up to a bar and get your own drink you still pay the full 15% which I assume goes to the bartender. So how does the server get anything at all unless the tips are shared?

Isn't the 15% split between the bartender and server? So unless you add another $ here and there they would each only get 7.5% (which really isn't much.) Maybe they don't share it, but if you go up to a bar and get your own drink you still pay the full 15% which I assume goes to the bartender. So how does the server get anything at all unless the tips are shared?

Tips are NOT shared if you are a bar waiter. If you order from a bar waiter, they get the full 15% tip. If you order from a bar tender, the 15% is POOLED and split between bar tenders.

Dave

Tips are NOT shared if you are a bar waiter. If you order from a bar waiter, they get the full 15% tip. If you order from a bar tender, the 15% is POOLED and split between bar tenders.

Dave

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me. But then what if you tip the bartender cash? Can they keep it all? Sorry if this is wandering off topic, but I am super PRO-tipping and like to make sure those who take care of me get their fair tips.

We have not used the coupons in a couple of years, but we always gave the server an extra dollar with each coupon becuase of this very thing. I am pro-tipping for good service as well. They work theis butts off and deserve it.

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me. But then what if you tip the bartender cash? Can they keep it all? Sorry if this is wandering off topic, but I am super PRO-tipping and like to make sure those who take care of me get their fair tips.

Cash is pocketed, the 15% is pooled.

Dave

The bar coupon says gratuities included so I always thought it broke out to about $4.58 towards the cost of the drink and .68 towards the tips then anything over $4.58 is charged and another gratuity added to that amount. Hope we can get some clarification. I like to use the coupons to as a way to control cost but I do not want to cheat anyone.

. . . I am cruising again this September and thought about ordering more coupons. While I liked using the coupons and keeping our on-board expenses down, I will not use them if it results in the hard working bar staff and servers receiving a lower gratuity. Does anyone know if this is true, or if maybe Carnival maybe sets a portion of the bar coupon sales to offset the difference in gratuity?

You were very correct in your observations. The servers are not getting the same 15% gratuity as for those beverages that are purchased without the use of the Bar Credit coupons.

I've had this (very reluctantly) confirmed by a member of Miami corporate via phone, as well as two different onboard bar managers on two different CCL vessels.

Carnival does include a gratutity in the Bar Credit coupons, but it is not the same 15% -- quite a bit less.

Unfortunate, but true. :(

Thank you for the clarification Don. Yes, it is unfortunate that Carnival sells these coupons and fails to fully compensate their employees on the gratuities.

For future cruises, we will probably continue to purchase these coupons in advance to pre-pay some expenses and keep on-board costs down, but we will give the servers a cash tip. Some posters here have reported back that they were not charged the price difference when they give the server a cash tip. We shall see.

Archived