Balcony, Oceanview or Obsturcted View for Alaska Cruise on Spirit

murphyriley

After just having a 4k ( interior with french doors-) on the Miracle (sister ship to the Spirit), I wouldn't hesitate booking one as long as I could get one sandwiched between the lifeboats. I've seen pics of friends wrapped in blankets on their balconies...not really my idea of fun!!

I like the light and the ability to open the door for some fresh air and the sound of the sea!!

I haven't cruised to Alaska yet, but I would go with an unobstructed balcony.

Yes, it will be chilly I imagine. But I wouldn't want anything getting in the way of the view.

I'm from the great Pacific NW and it's beautiful there. Alaskan views must be awesome!

EXPECIALLY for Alaska, I'd get a balcony that is UNobstructed.

You'll want to be out there to look at the amazing scenery!!

but you can do the same thing from the upper decks for a lot less money!

:D I guess it depends on what you're willing to spend :)

An Alaskan cruise is the best time to book a balcony, imo. I've sailed in a mid-ship suite and an aft balcony, and found the aft to be the absolute best choice for Alaska. Being able to see both port and starboard was worth every penny....much better than having a suite. Aft balconies are often more exposed, so if the sun is out they tend to be warmer, which is a good thing with the cooler temps.

A balcony is the only way to go. Try to get an unobstructed one if you can. We had a balcony on our Alaska cruise several years ago and it was nice because when we were cruising Tracy Arms, we could just step outside until we got cold, pop back in and get warm and then do it all again. The fact that we didn't have to look over people, etc. was great. Since we had that balcony, we haven't looked back. I guess I really got spoiled.

Alask is worth the splurdge.

You will be amazed how much time you spend just sitting out on your own balcony (maybe in a blanket, maybe not) with your feet propped up drinking some hot chocolate and listening the the whales blow. We had an aft wrap around mini-suite and it was AWESOME. There is something different to see all along the way.

I wouldn't have it any other way !!!

Bon Voyage ~~:)

An unobstructed balcony. I had one on the Spirit in May. It was amazing!!!! I DID spend a fair amount of time on it. Standing on the upper deck can be quite chilly & a little windy, not to mention crowded at times. And I enjoyed my coffee on the balcony in the morning in my pjs. Lots of wildlife & breathless scenery.

but you can do the same thing from the upper decks for a lot less money!

:D I guess it depends on what you're willing to spend :)

Yes, while that is true, very often you are sailing in the fjords very early in the morning, when you will not want to get dressed and go to a public deck..... being on an unobstructed balcony in Alaska is a MUST. It is truly worth the extra money.....that's what Alaska is about. An Ocean View would be preferable to an obstructed balcony in Alaska....it is breath taking and the sight seeing from the ship is a great portion of the cruise.

Balcony.

You can't spend all the time on the open decks. With a balcony, if you see something interesting, you can run outside and look. Plus you have some shelter from the elements.

The scenery is amazing and you don't want to miss any. With an ocean view, salt or anything else on your window could spoil you view and pictures.

Here are lots of pictures from our cruise:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalSpirit/Alaska/index.htm

A balcony! I do have to add that I always want a balcony;) But, I was the only one to spot a whale on our Alaskan cruise. I was up early, and out with my coffee on the balcony when I spotted it. We also had a lovely brunch out on the balcony the day we were in Glacier Bay. The balcony is well worth it--but then I always think that.

UNobstructed balcony. Grab a wool throw from the lido deck and take it to your cabin for use on the balcony. Just be sure and return it before the end of the cruise. Views from balconies are awesome, we saw the whales, glaciers, dolphins, icebergs, etc... it is DEFINITELY worth it ! :D

Thanks for all of the input and the quick response. I ended up booking the obstructed view (7A) due to the fact that they did not have 2 standard balcony cabins to accomodate 5 on the same floor. Since our 3 kids will be in one of the cabins, that was a deal breaker.

After speaking to the cruise rep., it turns out that if you book the right obstructed view cabins, the obstruction is not the view but the lifeboat hanging below your balcony. After seeing pictures that seemed to verify, I went for it.

Hopefully, this turns out to be true. I admit to being a little nervous as I have never had anything but a standard balcony cabin. The upside is that I saved a $1000. Wish me luck.:)

I've seen pics of friends wrapped in blankets on their balconies...not really my idea of fun!!

Hummmm....Who could you be referring to here? ;)

I would definitly do a balcony if you can swing it and the difference in price won't break you. Aside from the times you are cruising around Vancouver Island, there will be non-stop scenery around you. We spent a ton of time on our balcony. In fact, I am willing to bet we spent more time in our cabin on that cruise then any other.

For the record, We did carry our blankets out there often because it was cold. Again, we went in mid May. Later on in the season it will be much warmer. regardless, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

After just having a 4k ( interior with french doors-) on the Miracle (sister ship to the Spirit), I wouldn't hesitate booking one as long as I could get one sandwiched between the lifeboats. I've seen pics of friends wrapped in blankets on their balconies...not really my idea of fun!!

I like the light and the ability to open the door for some fresh air and the sound of the sea!!

I thought nothing of running out on the balcony in my boxers to take a picture or three and then go back to bed.

Thanks for all of the input and the quick response. I ended up booking the obstructed view (7A) due to the fact that they did not have 2 standard balcony cabins to accomodate 5 on the same floor. Since our 3 kids will be in one of the cabins, that was a deal breaker.

After speaking to the cruise rep., it turns out that if you book the right obstructed view cabins, the obstruction is not the view but the lifeboat hanging below your balcony. After seeing pictures that seemed to verify, I went for it.

Hopefully, this turns out to be true. I admit to being a little nervous as I have never had anything but a standard balcony cabin. The upside is that I saved a $1000. Wish me luck.:)

Ok, Good luck! I thought you were talking about the French Door obstructed view things. One thing to do with kids is to book the cabin you want for YOU, and then book them the closest inside cabin to yours. That helps insure they will want to spend some time with you in your cabin.

Hummmm....Who could you be referring to here? ;)

For the record, We did carry our blankets out there often because it was cold. Again, we went in mid May. Later on in the season it will be much warmer. regardless, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Only you darling...only you!!!!! I still giggle at the both of you looking like mummies in your blankets!! :) I know you were re-thinkin the snuggie idea once you got onboard... :)

Archived