Review: Dolphin Discovery

brentp

My wife and I recently enjoyed our day at the Chankanaab National Marine Park on our stop in Cozumel. While we were there, we did the Royal Swim with the Dolphins offered by Dolphin Discovery. We booked this tour online prior to our departure through the below website (booked via EMAIL). We booked direct because the cruise line did not offer the Royal Swim option.

Dolphin Discovery

Before I go too much further, . . . I understand that there are many that disapprove of any excursions held where there is human & dolphin interaction in this type of confined environment. I respect your right to feel this way and also respect your opinion on this. Ultimately, after careful consideration of the issues involved, I believe the choice comes down to each individual as to whether or not to sign up. This review is written for those that have made the choice to do the excursion, and desire more information. I respectfully request that those that do not approve do not try to pass judgment in this thread. Please feel free to post your feelings in a separate thread.

That said, . . . all I can say is we had a Very Good Time!!

We went to Chankanaab Park early at around 10am local time ($10 cab fare – total – each way). Entrance fee to the park is $12/pp US. When we arrived, we found a nice quiet and shaded spot on the beach (this was to be our beach day). They provide beach recliners. FYI - there were 9 ships scheduled to be in port this day (I heard later, that 10 showed up). The beach did start to get a bit crowed afternoon, but I didn’t think it was overcrowded. We quickly walked through parts of the Mayan cultural area, but we were scheduled to do a Mayan Ruins tour in Costa Maya later in the cruise so we did not spend too much time there. All the items we did see appeared to be man made. We did not try anything from the restaurant (food smelt very good though) nor did we swim in the ocean at the beach (we would be in the ocean with the dolphins). As has been posted many times, there is a very large sand beach. However, the beach area does not go down into the water. There is a rocky area that you have to walk down through (stairs) to go into the water. The snorkeling is said to be good here, but we did no try that out either. We literally hung out on the beach recliners and read books. Beach was clean as were the rest rooms. If we were only doing a beach though, I think I would have gone to one of the other beaches posted about on these boards.

At 2pm (our time for the swim was 2:30), we made our way to the ‘training area’. Here, we learned the things we would do with the dolphins and the proper way to do them. The royal swim is limited to 8 people per swim, includes 2 dolphins, and you basically get to know the dolphins and then do a couple of dolphin ‘stunts’ each. When I say stunts, I mean the types of things you would see in a dolphin show at an aquarium.

We then made our way out to the very large fenced in area in the ocean, and met our 2 dolphins: Donna and Tachie. After a few minutes with the dolphin trainer having them swim by for a gentle touch, each person got a dolphin to come up and give a kiss and a double hand shake. This was all done while waist deep on a platform on the edge of the fenced in swim area. Then, each person swam out, and each got to do a double foot push (where your body gets pushed out of the water for a short distance) and a double dorsal fin tow. There was then some free swim time in the area with the dolphins swimming by. The swim time with the dolphins lasted approximately 45 minutes.

After the swim, you of course are returned to a video area where you can see yourself on the video. The video is edited and then made available to you for purchase ($49 US). There are also pictures available for purchase.

All in all, this was a very good day and we were glad we did this. It is expensive ($125/pp for the Royal Swim), and it is definitely a commercial operation out to make tons of money. However, you also got a chance of a life time to swim with dolphins up close and personal. I don’t think I would do this again, . . . but am very glad to have done this once in my lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...
When we plan a water-excursion, I bring a disposable waterproof camera. Do you know if there are any limitations on photographing the dolphins? (I know they'd rather you buy theirs - but I like to take my own too.)

We brought one and had no problems using it there. Actually we used all the pics for that one event:) It was really cool!

Just FYI for those of you who have booked your own excursions (not through the cruise ship) in the last few weeks the Dolphin Promos that were supposed to expire on March 15th have been extended through June 15th so check your confirmation to see if you might now qualify for the Free Park Entry and Free Sea Lion Show - if you are participating in a dolphin program on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday!! There is also a special for kids UNDER 5 free on the dolphin Encounter with a Paying/Participating Adult!!

• 1 month later...

The only time that is available for The Royal Swim with the Dolphins is 2:00 (Cozumel Time) and our ship sails at 5:00 (Ship Time)

Will we make it back to the ship in time? Are there taxi cabs easy to catch?

I'm a little nervous about it. The ship will not wait.

Archived