Booking through RCCL or Expedia

alb38

We just finished our first cruise in February and I am looking into our next cruise. The first cruise we booked through TA because there were so many of us. Can anybody tell me is it better to book through TA, RCCL or with a discount company!

Thanks

Andrea

IMHO I would not booked with either Expedia or Travelocity, as they are not guarantee for the first 24 hours as to the rate. (We had a problem with air...because of that policy) As to rates, nnow that RCCL has the fixed price, the only way to get a great price is to book when they first open the sailings or to go with a TA that has a group rate. Some TA are giving our gift cards so you may want to check that

I would go with the live travel agent in lieu of an on-line company in case you need to speak to someone from time to time in regard to your trip.

I agree with superjerryw. Go with a live travel agent. I plan a group cruise each year. Every year we have had at least one cancellation, issues with coupons, price reductions, etc. I have had horrible experiences working with an online agent. I don't think their pricing is any better anymore since RCCL changed their policy. Even if the price is better, it is not worth it if the customer service is bad. I would recommend using a local agent. Someone you can call and stop by if you need to. I have found their prices to be better than booking with RCCL direct. Have you ever called Travelocity or Expedia? They have you on hold forever! I would not book a cruise with them. Flights or hotel, yes, but not for a cruise.

Our friends & I booked with travelocity for the first time. We made changes and several requests, all were handled extremely well as all our difficulties were rccl's fault. I too was nervous about not using a TA but the rate difference was too great. We are lucky this time as we finally got the right cruise documents today 11 days from departure. RCCL seemed to go out of their way to be difficult. This is my 4th cruise with them but next time I wont think twice about trying another line.

I have booked through Yahoo and directly through RCCL as well. I perferred the "live" person approach through RCCL. I have gotten great service and am able to ask fairly detailed questions which get answered right then and there. I know it probably depends on the TA at RC but the fellow we have have been using has been great. Not sure if I'm supposed to list names or not so I'll err on the side of "I'm not supposed to".

Mark

One thought - if you participate in UPromise to earn $$ for college, both Travelocity and Expedia offer a 1% rebate for your kid's college account. Depending on the cost of the cruise, that can be a good savings.

I have dealt with Expedia on the phone and had very good service.

Our friends & I booked with travelocity for the first time. We made changes and several requests, all were handled extremely well as all our difficulties were rccl's fault. I too was nervous about not using a TA but the rate difference was too great. We are lucky this time as we finally got the right cruise documents today 11 days from departure. RCCL seemed to go out of their way to be difficult. This is my 4th cruise with them but next time I wont think twice about trying another line.

We also just booked with travelocity as they had the best deal "gift card" wise. I have made several changes with them so far (room/dining time/linking another cabing with ours.) I even saw that our price went down $280 pp this week - and they honored the lower price! I've been very pleased with them so far, and have always been able to get them on the phone. Even at night. It seems I am still dealing with a travel agent (maybe they have deals with the online companies?), but you get a different one each time you call.

We booked with expedia and they have been helpful and we have had no problems. We saved about 250.00 for a family of four. I will say that after reading lots of negative postings, it can raise your eyebrows. It kinda makes you wonder if bad experiences are more prone to be written about because people need to vent?;) Just my opinion.

I really think it depends on who you talk to. I know people that have had problems with travel agents too. Where we live, we are limited on a choice of travel agents. The one that we have in our town wasn't very helpful and that is why we chose to go through expedia.

Good Luck!

I just want to "second" good experiences with Expedia. I've used them to book vacations for nearly ten years now, and when booking my very first cruise, it was only natural I'd turn to Expedia. I've had wonderful service; I have the name and extension number of an Expedia agent who has dealt with all my questions. She even selected the cabin for me when I told her it was my first cruise. The cabin I'd chosen was too far forward, she thought, for an untested sailor.

Lea

Although I'm sure that most people have good experiences online, I just wanted to pass along this interesting little tidbit. In booking my next cruise on RC, I noticed that the prices on RC.com are usually higher than can be found on Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. But, in booking through a live travel agent (Liberty Travel) I got the same price that was listed on Orbitz and Expedia but I didn't have to pay the $20 booking fee those websites charge. Just something to keep in mind.

I have past experience with Cheaptickets, Priceline, Travelocity and direct booking with each cruise line. I had a HUGE problem with Cheaptickets and I would never book through them again. Travelocity was effecient; however I will only book direct now, since the prices are basically the same. It's great to get to know a RCCL agent and have them as your personal TA. Just my opinions....

I checked prices on RCI's website first for my upcoming Radiance cruise. Then I got a good deal from an online TA who was offering the same price for the cabin but was including Travel Insurance.

Then I heard about 'senior' discounts for my cruise. I checked a couple of other online TA sites and some asked for ages and others didn't. The ones that did came up with a much lower price. I emailed my original TA and he got me the discount. Saved $264. That is the advantage of reading these boards and having a TA to work for you.

I don't know if RCI would have been able to give me the lower price if I spoke to them by phone, but couldn't get that price on the website.

I used travelocity to book a cruise 2 years ago. I booked within 2 weeks of going and had no problems. I have just recently used travelocity again to book Sovereign in October. When I compared the online travel agencies they all were the same base price, but some agencies would give gift cards with purchases and others had extra charges such as processing fees etc. The TAs I called all quoted the same price as the rccl website.

Then I heard about 'senior' discounts for my cruise. I checked a couple of other online TA sites and some asked for ages and others didn't. The ones that did came up with a much lower price. I emailed my original TA and he got me the discount. Saved $264. That is the advantage of reading these boards and having a TA to work for you.

I don't know if RCI would have been able to give me the lower price if I spoke to them by phone, but couldn't get that price on the website.

Yours is the second post I've read that mentions a Senior Discount. I just turned 65 and looked all over for a discount....the RCI web site says they offer it on "selected sailings", so I guess the Mariner on June 5th doesn't count. Where did you hear about the discount you got?

Lea

I actually tried to book with a travel agent this cruise but because of so many things going on it was easier for me to book online and talk to a live person...Travelocity has done a great job for us. Sadly...my sister lost out on the D1's this cruise because I told her to wait and book with an agent...the rooms were available last night and this morning but by the time my sister got to a local agent there were no balconies left. So, I guess it depends on what your needs are at that moment. I found two balconies last Friday next to each other and if I would have waited until Monday to book I don't think they would have been there...:eek: I have booked my last three cruises with Travelocity and not once has there been a problem and the hold times on the telephones have gotten much better. I have waited 5 - 7 minutes at the most. May the reservation God's be with me!!!!!;)

I just booked our group of 26 today through an online agency and I'm very nervous. Although the man helping me seems very nice and helpful. It's nerve wracking to be "responsible" for getting all the details right for that many people. I believe the large online agencies are able to block a large group of cabins to get a better price and sell them as they go along. The Cruise Deals price was $25 per person less than RCI's website and when I called RCI about a group booking, the only advantage was a free berth for the 16th passenger, no other discounts. I am getting the free berth, $25 discount, no admin. fees, no cancellation fees, free name changes, and seemingly good service so far with Cruise Deals. I am hoping to get our confirmations emailed to me tomorrow.

SeaTrekkie,

I usually check on Expedia. They have a spot where you can check for senior/resident discounts. They've shown up after final payment is due for most cruises I've been on. Once you see a discount offered, call your travel agent immediately, since they don't always offer them for very long.

Also, keep in mind that they're usually only available for certain categories--the cabins that aren't selling well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Archived