Carnival Won't Fix My Damaged Luggage

Rowan555

I am just off of the Carnival GLORY. My suitcase, too, has been severely damaged.

Not only was the handle on the top broken, but they also broke a wheel off of the bottom. Here's the clincher....

When we arrived at the port, via Mears Bus Transportation, one of the handlers boarded the bus, giving us this big speech about "you are on vacation, you no longer have to handle your bags from here on in... We will take very good care of you if you take care of us.... " You all know the drill.

So, of course, everyone tipped the guy as they got off the bus, and now, when I pick up my suitcase AFTER the cruise is done, somewhere between my stateroom and the pier carousel, there has been some BIG TIME damage to my suitcase. How much fun was it to attempt to drag a big suitcase with one wheel (couldn't carry it, because they broke the handle too!) around the airport? NONE! This pretty much killed the end of our trip for us. Now I read that there is absolutely nothing we can do, and it's really not fair.

We did notify a guy working there and point out that our suitcase was broken, and he told us to take it up with Carnival.

Whatever. We had a good trip. Just very frustrating...

Wow, I am really shocked to read everyone's replies. While everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I think that it does sound like poor customer service. Yes, it is stated in the contract but the employees did not nicely explain this to the OP. They rudely called her a liar and told her that her luggage wasn't broken while she was on the cruise. I find this very bothering. Customer service is very important to me. Maybe I am only one person but I can always spend my money some where else if you are going to appreciate me spending it with you. So, my point is: to the OP, I am sorry that your luggage was broken and you had to deal with rude people. Hopefully, this won't happen again and you can put it behind you. To everyone else, the OP's problem wasn't the $30 to fix the luggage it was the way she was treated. Regardless of whose fault it was and who is responsible for fixing the problem, no one should have to deal with rude customer service reps. But this is just my opinion.

If this was a brand new piece of luggage and it was damaged that quickly, why not take it up with the manufacturer of the luggage? There should be some type of warranty!

Yes, customer service on this issue was not up to par, but put yourself in their place....how many bogus or unsubstantiated claims are made every week against the cruise lines, either on the ship or after the person returns home? How can you prove that what happened to your luggage was the fault of the cruise line or the pier personnel? Two different sets of people handle your luggage before it arrives at your cabin. Also, how does the staff at the purser's desk know how the damage occured? Especially if it is brought to their attention in the middle of a cruise. Now, I really believe this happened how the OP said it did, but think of the other side of the coin.

Once I took a cruise on Carnival, and when I got home I discovered that they had changed out all the clothes in my suitcase with someone elses! Most of it looked like mine, but not one piece fit anymore...it was all about a size too small.

Darn that Carnival!!!!

Mark T.

PS. If a person stops sailing on Carnival over a broken wheel on a brand new suitcase that may or may not have been defective or broken by a porter or by Carnival, or by that little person that lives under the bed stealing socks, then I say .....Bye bye!

Just wait till they get on the Norwegian Sun and have fun in those small cabins designed for an Asian-sized person. Boy will that Carnival cabin look good then.

? You know I sometimes come over to this board and lurk. The new NCL ships rooms are good size with a larger bathroom than most of Carnivals but that isn't the point. Customer service on Carnival must really be off. Luggage complaints happen all the time. I've had them on airplanes where the average fare is much less than a cruise and they just fix them...its cheaper for them to do so. The airlines also have relations with the luggage manufacturers and if its a manufacturer's defect the manufacturer fixes it. They all use the same repair people. In fact the most expensive part of fixing a piece of luggage is not the fix but the shipping costs. So get over yourselves in defending either the baggage handlers or Carnival. When they have a piece of luggage that is broken in their care they should fix it. If it was broken before they got it they should have noticed and if they didn't let them spend the few dollars it will cost to repair.

Once I took a cruise on Carnival, and when I got home I discovered that they had changed out all the clothes in my suitcase with someone elses! Most of it looked like mine, but not one piece fit anymore...it was all about a size too small.

Darn that Carnival!!!!

Mark T.

PS. If a person stops sailing on Carnival over a broken wheel on a brand new suitcase that may or may not have been defective or broken by a porter or by Carnival, or by that little person that lives under the bed stealing socks, then I say .....Bye bye!

Just wait till they get on the Norwegian Sun and have fun in those small cabins designed for an Asian-sized person. Boy will that Carnival cabin look good then.

Again, she is not saying she is not cruising CCL again because of the broken wheel. It's because of the shoody customer service.

I've found the people at the pursers desk to be the most arrogant of any employees on the ship.

One time CCL lost my luggage. I reported it and the girl at the pursers desk told me to come back at 7pm to see if they found it. When I came back I approached her again thinking she'd be aware of my problems and wouldn't have to explain all over again. She told me very emphatically it was not her I spoke to earlier.I found it very amusing as I made note of her name and I am very good remembering faces.

Bill

I put a post up before about the ole luggage topic. My garment bag was shredded up quite bad...(yes, shredded was the exact word I was looking for). I did, however, take it straight to the pursers desk upon arrival to my cabin and they gasped..(lol..) Anyhow, it was actually fixed and returned in about 48 hours. Thankfully, none of our clothes were damaged.

I'm sorry, but I gotta say that they took good care of us and that was our very first Carnival cruise about 4 years ago. I think maybe where the OP went wrong was she waited to take the luggage down. Always, check your luggage first thing when it arrives at your cabin for any damage so that you can get it reported and have repairs done etc. Its the same with flying, check your bags before you leave the airport for any damage or they also can tell you "sorry, you're sol..."...

good day,

Esmerelda

Archived