Any local company providing Gibbs Cay and Stringray tour?

johnzinphilly

After doing some research, we are interested in the Gibbs Cay and Stringray tour, which we can book through our cruise line. I wonder if there is any local company providing the excursion as well. Does it has better rate/service than that from the cruise line? Thanks!

I am going to be in Grand Turk September 17, 2011, on the Carnival Liberty. I emailed Oasis Divers about this tour and got an email back that said I had to book through ship because they had a tour set up through Carnival. But I was interested in this tour as well so if anyone has any info please share.

I was researching the same thing for Grand Turk and the only thing I found so far is that Grand Turk diving (gtdiving.com) will take you to Gibbs Cay as part of a $500 private charter. Sounds ideal if you have enough people to make it reasonable on a per person basis. They get good reviews on tripadvisor.

I am going to be in Grand Turk September 17, 2011, on the Carnival Liberty. I emailed Oasis Divers about this tour and got an email back that said I had to book through ship because they had a tour set up through Carnival. But I was interested in this tour as well so if anyone has any info please share.

Interesting about Oasis! I was going to email them as well.

edit: The description of the Gibbs Cay tour on how its described on the Oasis Divers site and the CCL site are different. On the Oasis site,t hey talk of a BBQ and Conch diving..which is what I want. The CCL tour just talks of going to Gibbs Cay, stingrays and a complimentary drink.

Edited by DEBnGAB

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that when we were just at Grand Turk, we ended up booking the Gibbs Cay and stingray tour through Carnival. It was Oasis Divers that was the tour operator and they were GREAT!! Our tour had about 30 people total on it. The tour guides were excellent! I was hestiant to book this originally, but would book again in a heartbeat!

Hi Everyone,

We would like to go to Gibbs Cay with our children (3 and 4 y/o) but the minimum age for the excursion is 5 y/o.

Do you know if we can get there by ourselves and if so, is it appropriate for children under 5 y/o?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Greg

I also emailed Oasis and he said to book directly with Carnival as they are only doing one tour. I'm trying to get around the age limit as we have two 3 year olds with us. We really want to do this tour. I emailed Bohio to get more information.

gcl -

I heard back from Bohio today and she said they would do the tour for us for $65 per person.

Oasis also emailed me and told me to try and book it once we got on the ship that they would contact them directly to make an exception for our two children.

Just wanted to say that when we were just at Grand Turk, we ended up booking the Gibbs Cay and stingray tour through Carnival. It was Oasis Divers that was the tour operator and they were GREAT!! Our tour had about 30 people total on it. The tour guides were excellent! I was hestiant to book this originally, but would book again in a heartbeat!

details please. We are looking at this one for our trip this coming July. DW however, is a bit hesitant about it. The description makes it sound pretty laid back, with casual snorkeling from the beach, away from the stingrays, possible. Are they enclosed, or free swimming? Can you still snorkel where the rays are not?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My grand daughter was young and had a lot of trouble. She was too short and had trouble walking around and stepped on a ray. So think about how your kids will get around, if they are under aged.

There is a reason why this excursion is age restricted. I've done this shore ex twice. The first time the weather was iffy - although it was not raining nor was it particularly windy, rain was coming and the water was pretty choppy. The adults on the excursion had trouble standing in the water to interact with the rays. Anyone of small stature was knocked over by the currents.

And as far as the snorkeling went, unless you were a very strong swimmer and headed out to the reef immediately after playing with the rays, the currents got so strong that about 50% of the people never made it to the reef.

The beach area is a bit rocky and coral strewn so paying for an excursion to chill out on this beach would be a waste of money. It's really not kid friendly if the kids are very young. Wait until they're older and can enjoy the whole experience.

BTW, the second time I did the excursion the weather was fantastic. It made a world of difference

• 2 years later...

I really want to do this excursion , hubby and I did one like it in Grand Caymen. We ended up taking a private tour because the boat wasn't one of Carnival's cattle boats...the old knees are not what they used to be and I'm wondering if you do have to board a "cattle boat" and go to where the stingray are, if so we need stairs on the boat and not those stupid ladders...thanks guys...

Was in Grand Turk last Friday on the Conquest. Did the excursion through Carnival. Was a great time! Nice weather and boat ride over to Gibbs Cay. There were about 5 to 6 different stingrays that swam up after the captain woke the up. They swam around your feet while you took pictures with holding them. Bought a GoPro before I went and have some great footage. There was a big one that swam up, held it and it weighed about 60-70 lb? Rookie at snorkeling so I inflated my vest some and swam out with the GoPro. Swam near two reefs right off the beach. Posted below is a youtube video of the snorkeling part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JsUkxWlYbI