Is there something that you collect from every port?

jollyjim

I haven't done many cruises- packing for my second cruise sailing this weekend. But I've collected Christmas ornaments during our family vacations for years- usually the first time we traveled to an area- the ornament is unique to the trip or area- if's so much fun to relive the memories as we decorate the tree. One of our favorite is the little viewfinder photos that they snap as you go into an amusement park- we used to keep them in a drawer and then added them to the tree - we dated them and it's fun to look at our outfits. hairstyles over the year. Now they have changed to the little photo keyrings but it's fun. We've collected sand as well - but not every vacation area has a beach- so we found that hasn't worked. The other item we've done with the kids is the flat penny- they even have albums now to save them- the kids really like them because they could pick out their design and it became an adventure trying to find the machines.

Traditions are nice- have a great time

1) Shells - only ones I find - none purchased

2) Small piece of local art, usually of local architecture or landscape. I have it framed when we get home (makes it lots easier to transport and it's lot cheaper to buy unframed. Most are hung in our kitchen. Almost always can be found for less than $10.

3) "Souvenir" pencils for our school teacher niece - she uses them as rewards for her 3rd graders.

I am a quilter so I like to get thimbles in ports, I have some really unusual ones from Mexico made of silver. My favorite is shaped like a teapot with Our Lady Of Guadalupe on it.

*Sigh* I wish I had started collecting earlier - I have a friend that made a fabulous quilt out of "collected" T-Shirts and is on Memory Quilt #2

They are FABULOUS!

Archived