NYE on Conquest...I'm tardy with my review

Havinsnest

Which brings me to another point about children. I have never in my life seen so many victims of Inattentive Parenting in one place as I saw this cruise. This was largely the under 10 set. Poor things, what a sad life. No one loves them enough to keep up with them and to make them behave.

We saw and heard children running up and down halls unattended, blowing on the glass elevator doors and "drawing" in the residue left by their breath and pushing all the elevator buttons to ride up and down.

In SEVERAL instances Carnival personnel were standing silently with a look of frustration while watching the child/ren. Which brings me to the conclusion that someone has told Carnival employees to keep their mouths shut where ill mannered and ill behaved and under attended children are concerned. It's a Pity. I taught pre-school for 9 years, I work in a high school and I, on the other hand, am not afraid to tell a child to use a quiet voice, walking feet or to step away from the elevator since it isn't a toy or a ride at Six Flags. Neither is the female half of the couple with whom we travel - a teacher. Twice my friend had one of the employees thank her after she'd spoken to the offending child/ren.

Having worked at an airline as a flight attendant and in a major upscale restaurant chain as a hostess, I can tell you that saying anything regarding a passenger's/guest's ill behaved child was definitely a no no--sadly sometimes even when the child's safety or the safety of others was at issue.

There were several instances where I wanted to say something because of safety reasons, but it just wasn't worth it--especially at the airline, because one bad letter about you from a passenger, and it could be your job. At the restaurant, I reported a couple of child incidences to a manager immediately, and even the manager refused to do anything because they were afraid of bad letters from the guest to the corporate headquarters.

In some companies, if you want to keep your job, you keep your mouth shut.

Archived