Boring luggage allowance question

jem57

Been reading all the comments on the luggage allowance and i have been really good and not taken the usual extra 6 outfits,10 pair of shoes etc etc and our cases are spot on 23kg and hand luggage spot on 5kg,however i am assuming i can also take a handbag - is this correct,when we go with emirates,qatar etc i am allowed a handbag as well as hand luggage-but reading how strict Thomas Cook have been,i am now wondering if this will be ok.also do they actually weigh the hand luggage or is it a case of it depends on who you get?any advice appreciated.

We checked in at Manchester and they never even looked at the hand luggage. I so wished I had taken a handbag . my husband weighed another half a stone with all my handbag stuff in his jacket pockets!

We stuck to the 23kg and felt really annoyed when the couple in front had 27.9 and 26.7kgs and nothing was said. maybe it depends on the person checking you in? Or because there were 8 or 10 empty seats on the plane?

Caryl

Technically it is one bag for carry on and that includes your handbag although I saw plenty of people who had more than one bag. On the way home that included me.

At Birmingham they were being very strict with the 23kg for checked baggage. Even people with one bag under and one over were being made to move stuff to the other case. I'm sure it is a bit down to luck though with whoever checks you in.

I have a lightweight handbag, which contains everything I will want for the duration of the flight, that sits in the top of my hand luggage bag. When we get on board it is a simple job to lift it out and put the rest in the over-head locker.

Carol x

I never even thought about not having a handbag on our fly cruise, though we sailed from Southampton and flew back from Barbados. Nothing was weighed or measured there at all. The cases were taken from us the night before and no one looked at the hand luggage at all.

Guess if we do it the other way round and fly out from the UK I'll have to think about including it in the 5kg allowance like capasamari and steelerannie suggest.

What annoys me is we are talking about the same airlines, with such strict weight/size rules one way, but not the other! :( Why do they insist on making travelling so hard (and inconsistent) when without us, they have no airline business to run!

No weighing of hand luggage or even looking at it at Barbados airport. We had 3 bags between 2 of us and nobody cared. They dont even need the liquids out of your bag. I dont think they even care if a liquid is 150mls. We saw a lot of big shampoos. One lady was silly enough to take a giant hairspray - they did stop that going through because it was an aerosol spray!

Caryl

thanks for all your replies,think i will chance it and just take my handbag as well as my holdall,hope i dont get the one who got out the wrong side of the bed,fingers crossed,roll on friday.:)

Archived