Rose Hall & Bird Sanctuary on your own?

crazy4cruisn

I have not been but have been in touch with probably 7 different tour groups about a similar itinerary for 4 adults and a toddler.

The best price I've heard (two companies) includes all day transportation around the MoBay area for 150. Two other operators have quoted me 160 for MoBay area all day. Some of the quotes were much higher, over 200. All prices are exclusive of entrance fees.

Rose Hall is 20pp and Bird Sanctuary is 15pp.

http://www.windresorts.com/Jamaica-Attractions.html does not sell anything, but has nice information on some popular locations in Jamaica with prices.

We hired a driver through Marva Shaw, but I think she just subbed it out to someone driving for JUTA. "Richard" was a nice guy and showed us around several nice places in MoBay, including Rose Hall. We enjoyed the Rose Hall tour and the views are outstanding. Next door is the White Witch golf course and clubhouse, where you can get even more outstanding views. He also took us to Richmond Hill, a resort where you pay a buck to look around and take pictures, definitely worth it. We opted to not spend the money on the bird sanctuary, but probably would have enjoyed it.

They do drive on the left side of the road, which took some getting used to. I'm not entirely certain my heart has recovered. "Left side: right side, right side: suicide." And traffic around MoBay was very heavy all the time, especially when we were trying to get back to the ship and it was raining lightly.

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on the other ports? We leave Sunday!! Hope the weather improves; it looks like they are having lots of rain in the area.

That depends on what other ports you're visiting! You don't list your ship or itinerary. Nor do you mention any likes/dislikes or special needs. I CAN tell you we loved our snorkel/stingray city trip with Moby Dick in Grand Cayman and that we hired a taxi in Cozumel to take us from the Puerta Maya pier to Punta Sur to climb the lighthouse, snoop around a bit and crash for a short while in some hammocks, then return to San Miguel for shopping around Plaza del Sol. ($80 for 4 persons transportation to Punta Sur and San Miguel. $7 taxi from San Miguel back to ship.) Hope that helps.

Guess I thought you are on our cruise :). Ready to go again???

We will be on Voyager of the Seas and stop in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Monego Bay.

Thanks for the help. Although we are not as active as you, we do enjoy getting out to see what's there. The Cozumel trip sounds fun minus the climbing. We have been to String Ray City, the turtle farm, and Hell (in GC, and I have also taught school...........)so will skip the last site.

I have not been but have been in touch with probably 7 different tour groups about a similar itinerary for 4 adults and a toddler.

The best price I've heard (two companies) includes all day transportation around the MoBay area for 150. Two other operators have quoted me 160 for MoBay area all day. Some of the quotes were much higher, over 200. All prices are exclusive of entrance fees.

Rose Hall is 20pp and Bird Sanctuary is 15pp.

http://www.windresorts.com/Jamaica-Attractions.html does not sell anything, but has nice information on some popular locations in Jamaica with prices.

Nice to know Montego Bay also has a bird sanctuary in case we are on a cruise that stops there.

Nice to know Montego Bay also has a bird sanctuary in case we are on a cruise that stops there.

I believe the primary attraction is the national bird of Jamaica, the Doctor Bird, a beautiful long-tailed hummingbird. I'm pretty sure I got buzzed by one or two of them up on Richmond Hill a couple of weeks ago, but they were too shy to pose for a photo. The sanctuary is a home where the owner trained them to be hand-fed over the years, I believe. We didn't visit while we were there.

Archived