Liberty Eastern 1.8.11 review

MamaParrotHead

Thanks for your review :)

I sailed the Liberty in Dec and feel the same way about YTD....Wouldn't do it again, especially for two people. We basically shared a table with other people every night because the tables were inches apart from each other, and yes, service was NOWHERE near as good as what I usually get from Carnival in the dining room.

The food/choices have been declining slightly over time, sadly.

You asked how one cruises often without becoming bored....

We do the steak houses...now will include the Chef's Table on every CCL when we can get a reservation and we switch lines and sail NCL often where the dining choices are abundant.

That's how we keep from becoming bored with the food because it can easily happen.

The Liberty is my favorite CCL ship to date though....less stressful on the eyes :D

Thanks again for the review :)

I do have the Fun Times that someone else sent me before we left, I'd be happy to forward them to you.

If you wouldn't mind sending the Fun Times over my way as well, that would be greatly appreciated :).

johnjohn@@rocketmail.com

Thanks for the great review. Probably going to change our dining time based on your input.

P. S. Do you know if they were selling FCC on the Liberty?

I've been a lurker for years, and don't usually respond or ask questions; just learn a tremendous amount from all the helpful posters. I noticed that you stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay pre-cruise. I have found that hotel priced at $113 for our pre-cruise stay (May 21). We depart on the Valor May 22 for the eastern itinerary. Do you recommend the hotel? How far a walk was it to the Marketplace? Any suggestions for shopping or dinner in that area?

I've been a lurker for years, and don't usually respond or ask questions; just learn a tremendous amount from all the helpful posters. I noticed that you stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay pre-cruise. I have found that hotel priced at $113 for our pre-cruise stay (May 21). We depart on the Valor May 22 for the eastern itinerary. Do you recommend the hotel? How far a walk was it to the Marketplace? Any suggestions for shopping or dinner in that area?

The hotel was GORGEOUS, grab that at that price while you can! :D We didn't hit Bayside this time, as we didn't arrive in Miami until about 6:30 that night, and you'd have to cross some of the busier (almost highways), so I'd probably recommend cabbing it. It'd be a minimal cab fare to Bayside. We've eaten at Hard Rock Cafe and Bubba Gump's at Bayside...I wouldn't recommend the Hard Rock. Bubba Gump's was good. There's also some smaller "local", non-chain places to eat there as well. Bayside has a website that lists them. The immediate area is mostly high rises and office buildings surrounding the hotel, but it was a nice area. The shopping at Bayside isn't much more than the basic souvenir places you'll see on your trip or the mall. If you want to do some real shopping, hop a cab down to Lincoln Road in South Beach. It's about $5 per person but tons of places to eat and shop. During the day you can also walk right down to the beach.

If you wouldn't mind sending the Fun Times over my way as well, that would be greatly appreciated :).

johnjohn@@rocketmail.com

Thanks for the great review. Probably going to change our dining time based on your input.

sent. :) and yes they sell FCC on the Liberty, we bought two. :D

johnjohn@@rocketmail.com

Email bounced back at that address. are you sure it's correct?

Ports:

Grand Turk: ... I had planned on stopping at Jack’s Shack, based on recommendations I’d read here on Cruise Critic, but I wish I had just headed straight there...

Great Reviw MamaParrotHead... I always enjoy reading your posts.

We are headed to Grand Turk and have Jack's Shack in mind.

Can you describe how you got there ? We have a few Old Timers and a couple of Folks in our group who are a bit "rounder" than some.

Could this be an issue ?

Great Reviw MamaParrotHead... I always enjoy reading your posts.

We are headed to Grand Turk and have Jack's Shack in mind.

Can you describe how you got there ? We have a few Old Timers and a couple of Folks in our group who are a bit "rounder" than some.

Could this be an issue ?

Most of us in our group are "rounder", lol, and if you take it easy it isn't a problem (under 10 minute walk and well worth it). My only advice would be to stay near the water because the sand is more compact and easier to walk on. There is a somewhat sand-covered paved path but it dead-ends after Margaritaville so it's kind of futile.

Go through the cruise terminal/duty free shop that's at the end of the pier, and stay left towards the beach. That will put you on the beach at Margaritaville. Stay near the water and keep walking, I'd say a good 1/4 mile, til you hit a REALLY tattered looking dive flag. I'll post a pic of what the place looks like from the ship and then you can judge it when you pull in and take a peek. The place with the chairs in front and the red/blue umbrellas.

2481653110071447156S425x425Q85.jpg

You didn't mention sushi in your review - did you happen to have it and was it cooked or raw fish.

On the Victory (when we went) the sushi was all cooked and very good.

We did have sushi, it was pretty good. I think I recall asking on the Valor when we went, about it being cooked, and I think it has something to do with health codes why they avoid the raw fish (just not being able to mass produce the raw sushi and still keep the necessary close eye on preparation methods and safety).

Great hotel and you got a great price.

It is walking distance from Bayside...GREAT place to spend a free day. If you can, hop on one of the boat tours offered.

My recommendation for dining is Quinn's http://www.quinnsmiami.com/

FABULOUS food. You need to get a taxi there. Ask the consierge at the hotel or someone at the front desk to call and make you a reservation.

If the weather is nice, eat putside...it's great :)

Archived