Newbie: Boarding in Galveston 1/23

seattle sojourner

I am traveling with 2 elderly people who walk, but slowly and with oxygen:). RCI has their "special needs" requests and has promised "assistance at the pier". Our boarding passes say 2 PM to board. I find several threads here that say you can get on earlier without many lines if you arrive earlier, even though the cabins are not ready yet. Mom and auntie are not able to stand for more than a few minutes, they are better if they are moving (slowly).

So suggestions?? We will check out of our hotel in the morning. Should I take them to see the beach or other attraction while we wait? Should we just go earlier to the ship (even though the passes say 2 PM)?

Is there anything else I should try to arrange ahead of time? Actually the whole boarding process is causing me the most anxiety of anything! Once we're on board I know we'll have a blast.

If you arrive to the port early, say 10:30 am .. there will be a special line for handicapped and they will be allowed to board among the first. I too suggest a wheelchair for them both. Its a long walk up and around those boarding planks or whatever they are called. My sister is one who can barely walk it and she is still in her 50s and just using a cane .. I cant imagine oxygen. Have them board them in wheelchairs. once onboard, they can get out and about.

Thank you. We will go there directly upon checkout from the hotel at 10:30. I was confused by the boarding time listed as 2 PM, and didn't want to have them just sitting at the port for 4 hours. I'm sure it will go smoothly and this will be the first of many cruises!

I've been checking the weather reports and it looks like the weather will be mild, and I don't see fog forecast, so hopefully everything will be on time.

Really excited to be underway!!:)

Archived