Cost of excursions st petersburg, russia

mimlypops

Just in case you are starting to go crazy trying to figure out who to go with - Alla, Red October, Anastasia, etc. I was told by our tour guide in Russia that all the guides ususally work for all different companies and they may give tours for one company one day and a tour for another company another day - so they are likely all good and all likely use the same group of tour guides. Just something I heard that is possible...

Just in case you are starting to go crazy trying to figure out who to go with - Alla, Red October, Anastasia, etc. I was told by our tour guide in Russia that all the guides ususally work for all different companies and they may give tours for one company one day and a tour for another company another day - so they are likely all good and all likely use the same group of tour guides. Just something I heard that is possible...

That makes sense

Hi Y'all,

I hope this doesn't come as double post. Having computer gremlins tonite.

Of our 12 Cruises, this trip was #2 favorite! My 2 must-do were Peterhof Palace and The Hermitage. Indescribably amazing. Do your homework and read about them pre-cruise. Peterhof is the creation of a very forward thinking man of his day. The incredible fountains of the gardens made 200+ years ago still function on hydralic NOT mechanical pumps.

Wonder... how did they hide away so many treasures when forces were trying to burn down the Palace.

The same applies to The Hermitage. I think I saw more Old Masters there than I did in New York's museums. Warning be sure to set your digital camera on NO FLASH or the babushka granny room wardens will be yelling, NYET, NYET[no-no]! Be sure your camera is charged and you have at least 4GB chip for the camera.

I found the best selection and prices for matrushka [nesting] dolls in front of the Church of the Spilt Blood. Dolls were everything from tradiitional gold and enamel on light wood, Traditional fully painted girl in folk dress to Winnie the Pooh and friends. Also many styles of hand painted/enameled trinket boxes.

What I would change the next time I could go: Read these Boards re arranging private tours with Red October, Alla and Den Rus. They tailor your day to your choice and the time you wish to spend at each. They take care of Visas. They take you in small groups and bypass the long entrance lines to save time for you to enjoy the sites.

You'll have a grand time,enjoy a new country and its peoples. Wish I was going with you. KT

Hi everyone.

We (a family of 4) are on the Emerald Princess on the Baltic cruise in August - our first cruise. Our current favoutite independent tour company for a tour of St Petersburg is Alla; reviews on here and TripAdvisor seem very good. Having said that, most other companies' ones are too.

My question relates to the procedure currently enforced by Princess for disembarkation at St Petersburg. I've read nightmare stories about people being kept in lifts, being kept for up to 2 hours after docking and physically prevented from leaving the ship (not necessarily Princess, but reading their own 'advice' regarding visas doesn't fill me with hope).

Could anyone who has recently visited St Petersburgh on Princess Cruises let me know what goes on please?

Cheers

Martin

We had heard all the dire warnings as well. Turned out to be no problem. We just went down to the departure area (Deck 4 I think) and waited for the ship to clear customs. Then we walked off and went right to the C&I offices that were set up right by the pier. Our van was waiting for us in the parking lot on the other side. Our van drove out as the busses for the ship excursions were heading in. It was great because we beat the crowds everywhere we went.

Our tour company (DenRus) was very clear about this procedure in their communication with us. The cruise ship is not allowed to hold you back from disembarking once the ship is cleared. Just make sure you are in the departure area.

We did two days of independant touring with our three children and 80+ year old grandmother. It actually affords you more flexibilty and a lot less wasted time.

I would not consider a ship sponsored tour in Russa, especially given the excess cost for 4 people. We just visted Russia for the second time and this reinforced my view.

We experienced LONG lines to get through Russian customs and Immigration. Our tour company (Anastasia tours) waited for us. We were nearly an hour late meeting them on the other side, but they totally understood. They take their time processing the passengers and we had the visa info printed out from the tour company and it wasn't a problem at all!

We are doing the Baltic cruise this spring in May. I went to the cruise personalizer and found the following tours - A two day Hermitage, Peterhof, Canal Cruise and Cathedral for $399.00 per person. Another which includes the Gold Room and all of the above is listed at $599.00. A one day tour to the hermitage is $149.00. If you want only a drive through the city that is listed at $39.00 An evening folk show is listed at $79.00. I hope this helps.

We took the $599. tour in August, that included 2 full days, plus the evening (6pm-midnight) to Catherine Palace. The Princess excursion was worth every penny, with 3 complete and delicious full meals,entertainment and all the sites included with an excellent guide. The bus had 25 people, and we moved along really quickly, to be able to stop at few unplanned stops. I know that this forum favors independent tours, and I have taken some at other times, but I didn't feel that taking the ship's excursion, this time, was a mistake. Enjoyed not having to make arrangements, as well.

Archived