Maya Chan review from early January 2011

CheapIrish

Folks -

I found these boards very helpful as we were planning our first visit to Costa Maya, so wanted to repay that a bit with my own review of our visit to Maya Chan.

Once we decided not to take a shipbased tour I researched opportunities for a good beach to go to. We had never gone to an all-inclusive beach before, so I wasn't sure wheat to expect. If Maya Chan is an example of one we'll be doing a lot more in the future.

First of all, the communication to set up the visit was very easy. E-mail communication was prompt and payment was made through Paypal. Detailed instructions of how to get a taxi to the site (included in the cost or reimbursable if you pay out of pocket) were very helpful.

The taxi drive is not very scenic, but it passes pretty quickly - 20 minutes max. The road is bumpy, but it's not your car and you don't have to drive it, so it's not a problem. We're told that they have improved the road recently, so maybe some of those earlier reviews about people concerned about back problems on the drive were valid once.

Once you get there you'll find you're in a very friendly paradise. You're greeted by Preston, an American, who quickly points out all the highlights and gives you the events going on that day - kayak excursions, snorkeling, beach golf - all of which you are welcome to participate in or not as you choose.

Welcoming drinks and a chip basket with homemade salsa and guacamole are brought around. They were both great - and I don't even like guacamole in U.S. restaurants! They make frequent trips through to see if you need any drinks or anything else.

The expert bartender will make you whatever you want - and as many as you want. I asked for something with rum and he made me - in honor of the holidays - a green and red concoction that was delicious. When I asked what was in it he said, with a twinkle in his eye, "don't worry, just drink it."

The beach itself is fairly compact, but beautifully laid out and you don't feel like you are on top of others like on many tropical beaches. This makes it worth the price of admission itself. My wife likes to walk up and down a long stretch of beach and this wasn't as suited to that as others, but she still enjoyed it.

The do a good job of raking constantly the sea grass that must be common in this area. We didn't notice it being as much a problem as others did in the reviews, but that could be a function of the time of the year and weather conditions. We were there on a beautiful, sunny day with light winds and no rain. The water was a bit chilly at first but you rapidly adjusted to it.

The mid day buffet is wonderful with lots of options and great tasting food. You can either eat in the covered area up front with tables and chairs - and their own resident cat! - or take it back to your section of beach, which we chose to do.

The only downside to our visit to Maya Chan was that our ship was only in port for six hours and we didn't get there until about 12:30 p.m. and had to leave all too soon it seemed. But while we were there we had a wonderful time and I can't recommend a visit here highly enough. We look forward to our return some day.

Patrick

Thanks for the review. We are thinking going to Maya Chan end of this month. Do you recommend it for young children (DS will be 1.5). THanks.

The beach and water are certainly safe - low waves and shallow water. I don't know what events they might have for litle kids. You might ask this question on TripAdvisor too.

I would recommend it for anyone. Yes, perfect for a small child. Not a crazy wild beach. It is a slice of heaven. The staff are extraordinary. There are floats, activities. The palapas are relaxing, great beds for the child to stretch out for a nap. Lovely. I can definitely imagine being there with small children. LOL--mine were 18, 19, 20, and 22!!

Prices vary- returning guests, size of group, etc. If you get some others to join you from CC you can e-mail Mark with the # of people and he can give a discount price. You don't have to worry about hanging with people you don't know well, because you can have separate palapas if you want. We have been to Mark and Jane's twice- in good weather and so-so weather and had great times. You'll love it there. ;)

I have kind of a specific question. This is one of the three beach clubs we are looking at for Costa Maya and I was curious if anyone could tell me how comfortable the chairs are for a big guy. My big thing (no pun intended) is I hate to be sitting on a chair I feel like I'm about to break. Does this beach club have really sturdy chairs? I'm going to post this for all three of the clubs we are interested in.

I have kind of a specific question. This is one of the three beach clubs we are looking at for Costa Maya and I was curious if anyone could tell me how comfortable the chairs are for a big guy. My big thing (no pun intended) is I hate to be sitting on a chair I feel like I'm about to break. Does this beach club have really sturdy chairs? I'm going to post this for all three of the clubs we are interested in.

I got this one, folks!

I'm 6'5" and weigh around 270 and thought the chairs were all sturdy. We didn't get charge a damage fee so I guess we didn't break anything!:)

Folks -

I found these boards very helpful as we were planning our first visit to Costa Maya, so wanted to repay that a bit with my own review of our visit to Maya Chan.

Once we decided not to take a shipbased tour I researched opportunities for a good beach to go to. We had never gone to an all-inclusive beach before, so I wasn't sure wheat to expect. If Maya Chan is an example of one we'll be doing a lot more in the future.

First of all, the communication to set up the visit was very easy. E-mail communication was prompt and payment was made through Paypal. Detailed instructions of how to get a taxi to the site (included in the cost or reimbursable if you pay out of pocket) were very helpful.

The taxi drive is not very scenic, but it passes pretty quickly - 20 minutes max. The road is bumpy, but it's not your car and you don't have to drive it, so it's not a problem. We're told that they have improved the road recently, so maybe some of those earlier reviews about people concerned about back problems on the drive were valid once.

Once you get there you'll find you're in a very friendly paradise. You're greeted by Preston, an American, who quickly points out all the highlights and gives you the events going on that day - kayak excursions, snorkeling, beach golf - all of which you are welcome to participate in or not as you choose.

Welcoming drinks and a chip basket with homemade salsa and guacamole are brought around. They were both great - and I don't even like guacamole in U.S. restaurants! They make frequent trips through to see if you need any drinks or anything else.

The expert bartender will make you whatever you want - and as many as you want. I asked for something with rum and he made me - in honor of the holidays - a green and red concoction that was delicious. When I asked what was in it he said, with a twinkle in his eye, "don't worry, just drink it."

The beach itself is fairly compact, but beautifully laid out and you don't feel like you are on top of others like on many tropical beaches. This makes it worth the price of admission itself. My wife likes to walk up and down a long stretch of beach and this wasn't as suited to that as others, but she still enjoyed it.

The do a good job of raking constantly the sea grass that must be common in this area. We didn't notice it being as much a problem as others did in the reviews, but that could be a function of the time of the year and weather conditions. We were there on a beautiful, sunny day with light winds and no rain. The water was a bit chilly at first but you rapidly adjusted to it.

The mid day buffet is wonderful with lots of options and great tasting food. You can either eat in the covered area up front with tables and chairs - and their own resident cat! - or take it back to your section of beach, which we chose to do.

The only downside to our visit to Maya Chan was that our ship was only in port for six hours and we didn't get there until about 12:30 p.m. and had to leave all too soon it seemed. But while we were there we had a wonderful time and I can't recommend a visit here highly enough. We look forward to our return some day.

Patrick

GREAT review Patric....and YES...I am glad to say the road has indeed been fixed:)

First off.....don't think about it....just book it!!! This is by far my favorite beach club...I wouldn't think of going to Costa Maya without a visit to Maya Chan...been there 3 times now, soon to be my 4th....you can read my reviews here on this board and over on Trip Advisor;) I told my roll call for my upcoming Allure sailing about Maya Chan as soon as we found out our itinerary got switched from Falmouth to Costa Maya....and the ones who waited to think about it found out it was booked by the time they decided to inquire and are now quite disappointed they didn't act faster...keep in mind that MC only books a small amount and that's it.....a reason I love the place so much...well that and the wonderful staff and excellent food and drinks:D

As far as the chairs...NO PROBLEM there.....their Adirondack type chairs are very sturdy....as are their day beds.

• 3 weeks later...

When I inquired about our up coming cruise at the end of the month, they were "full." But he said they had a "private umbrella area" avaialble, he calls them "Corona Moments" as in the commercials.

I can see the set up they have with these umbrella chairs from the picture I am attaching below, but what is the normal set up? Oh, BTW, nice review. I have heard really good things about this place, maybe the sea grass being the only issue, but it sounds like it's taken care of.

umbrella.JPG.2d483deda52d865afa3d847c328c8c67.JPG

Archived