Where should we go this time?

md10074

We are thinking of taking another cruise. We have some JetBlue credits to use up and a future cruise certificate. :D We did the Western Caribbean on the Liberty last year, going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We loved it, but we want to do something different this year. What would be a good itinerary for us?

Many years ago we went to the Bahamas on another ship. Eh, didn't like it that much. I would go Western and to Cozumel again because I loved Nachi Cocum, but I'd want something different than the Cayman Islands and Jamaica this time.

I would love to do Southern and go to Aruba. We did that 16 years ago on Carnival. Oh how I love Aruba! However we have to go during the summer and it doesn't look like there are any Carnival Aruba cruises then. Thinking about the Victory to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maarten, but that's a lot of ports and might be too much for our kids. I know that if we stop at a port I would want to get off and explore and not stay on the ship. Are there any interesting things for kids to do at those ports? My kids will be 15 and 8.

I have such hard decisions.:rolleyes: LOL!

We are thinking of taking another cruise. We have some JetBlue credits to use up and a future cruise certificate. :D We did the Western Caribbean on the Liberty last year, going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. We loved it, but we want to do something different this year. What would be a good itinerary for us?

Many years ago we went to the Bahamas on another ship. Eh, didn't like it that much. I would go Western and to Cozumel again because I loved Nachi Cocum, but I'd want something different than the Cayman Islands and Jamaica this time.

I would love to do Southern and go to Aruba. We did that 16 years ago on Carnival. Oh how I love Aruba! However we have to go during the summer and it doesn't look like there are any Carnival Aruba cruises then. Thinking about the Victory to St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and St. Maarten, but that's a lot of ports and might be too much for our kids. I know that if we stop at a port I would want to get off and explore and not stay on the ship. Are there any interesting things for kids to do at those ports? My kids will be 15 and 8.

I have such hard decisions.:rolleyes: LOL!

I think the Victory would be fabulous, just decide beforehand which stops you will treat as "at-sea" and which you will get off the ship at. Some of the stops may be of no interest, so you can just stay onboard. The great thing is that the ship will be empty most of the time, since most people are on land!

Also, JetBlue has a lot of flights into San Juan, combine that with a couple days in San Juan before the cruise, and you have a killer vacation on your hands!!:)

However, any cruise you take will be wonderful!

What difficult choices! If you have the air credit I would do the Victory out of San Juan. The cruise is priced right but the air fare is a killer. We sailed the Victory in March 2009 and it remains our favorite cruise so far. The seven islands can be taxing but you can always take a 1/2 day or full day and just hang out on the ship. But these are wonderful stops and I am sure your kids would enjoy them all.

Another alternative is the 8 day Miracle to the Southern Caribbean with three islands and 4 sea days. This itinerary is not available year round. Did this one last November and had a blast. St Kitts and St Lucia are our favorite islands.

Nice to have to make those "difficult" decisions!

I would NOT do Victory, for two reasons. First, you pointed out that it's such a "port intensive" itinerary, and you are absolutely correct. When we did that cruise, we had to book a cruise when we returned, because we were totally exhausted from hitting a port EVERY DAY! It was just too much! Second, cruising out of San Juan, IMO, is a pain in the tookus! Not only is the air fare usually out of line, but the airport there is also a pain. I'd recommend choosing a regular seven day Eastern itinerary cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami. That will be far more relaxing, and the ports you hit are very good as well. Air fare, and arrangements will be far easier, and less expensive, and your family will enjoy the cruise, and flights a lot more. St. Thomas, St. Maarten and another port will be just right.

"SKY"

There are cruises that go to Cozumel plus Belize, Roatan, & either Costa Maya or Grand Cayman. The Dream does this itinerary (with Costa Maya), & the Legend does it (with Grand Cayman). And out of New Orleans does a 7-day with just Cozumel, Belize, & Roatan. There are probably other ships too along these itineraries, but these I know of right off the top of my head.

I would NOT do Victory, for two reasons. First, you pointed out that it's such a "port intensive" itinerary, and you are absolutely correct. When we did that cruise, we had to book a cruise when we returned, because we were totally exhausted from hitting a port EVERY DAY! It was just too much! Second, cruising out of San Juan, IMO, is a pain in the tookus! Not only is the air fare usually out of line, but the airport there is also a pain. I'd recommend choosing a regular seven day Eastern itinerary cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami. That will be far more relaxing, and the ports you hit are very good as well. Air fare, and arrangements will be far easier, and less expensive, and your family will enjoy the cruise, and flights a lot more. St. Thomas, St. Maarten and another port will be just right.

"SKY"

I have never cruised out of SJ, so I can't comment on that.

BUT on port intensive cruises, you don't have to become exhausted...just book beach excurions (or taxi to a nearby beach on your own)...and relax on the beach at a port stop (or two...or ALL of them!!) :)

Archived