Costa Classica - back to answer your questions!

mkhannah

Hi Everyone

We have just returned from our 7 night cruise on Classica and what a wonderful time we all had! We really couldn't fault it.

I will submit a review soon, but to cover a couple of things:

Dizzy - to answer your question - yes, the Classica had 12 or so arcade games to amuse the kids + 3 air hockey tables. Each game cost about $1.50 Euro.

Happy "hour" (2 of the same drink for the price of 1) was every day 11am to 12 noon and again at 5pm to 8:30pm! So plenty of time to get in a few drinks at reasonable prices. Happy hour included cocktail of the day, some spirits, beer, house wine and non-alcoholic coctails.

Buffet was not open for dinner every evening, so be prepared to eat in MDR. They had 2 formal dinners on our 7 night cruise, and it was expected (although not compulsary) to dress up for these. Many men wore suits however dress trousers and shirt with collar was fine.

I can not obvioulsy comment on earlier cruises and the negative feedback the Classica received, all I can say is that our experience on the Classica was excellent all round!

Look forward to answering any questions you might have.

Cheers

Mel:D

Welcome back Mel

So glad you had a good time and thanks for checking the video arcade for me. The boys will be in their element - I shall just trot off now to get a mortgage to pay for the machines................(lol)

The boys will love the MDR - they like to "dress for dinner". that could be anything from clean t shirts upward - but they do like being waited on. As for me - well I love the cocktails so I'm there for the evening happy hour. I feel a plan coming on - boys in video arcade, nanna drinking cocktails and poppy fending for himself!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again Mel - look forward to your review and any shore trip tips.

Funny you should mention that - I have emailed my grandsons and told them they will be in smart pants, shirt shoes and a TIE and if they kick up a fuss it will be a BOWTIE they have a choice to make. I love the power.

I wouldn't dream of turning up "under" casual or allowing the boys to. I was having a lend.

Regards

Funny you should mention that - I have emailed my grandsons and told them they will be in smart pants, shirt shoes and a TIE and if they kick up a fuss it will be a BOWTIE they have a choice to make. I love the power.

I wouldn't dream of turning up "under" casual or allowing the boys to. I was having a lend.

Regards

Yes, my son wore dress pants and dress shirt for formal nights, on the casual nights in MDr he wore jeans and polo type shirt.

Hi Mel, here i am with some questions;

Phuket: Did the ship dock at one side of the island and then move around to the other side?

1. Can you "walk off the ship" or do you have to pay for a transfer if you don't book a Costa excursion?

Penang and Malaka: same questions as above

Sorted KL transfer via Costa.

Langkawi: does the ship dock at the deep port (Star cruises terminal I think)?

General question for all the above ports: are the towns/sight seeing far from where the ship docks and are you tendered at any of the ports?

Did you do any "on your own stuff"?

Regards

Liz

Hi Dizzy, please see below:

Phuket: Did the ship dock at one side of the island and then move around to the other side?

Yes, we docked at the "old" Phuket Port area and we were advised that you could return to the ship at this Port by 4pm (which gave you about 3hrs) or find your own way to the main beach area where you could return by tender boat from 6pm onwards. We did the later, caught a taxi from the port we docked at to the other side of the Phuket for about $10 AUD.

1. Can you "walk off the ship" or do you have to pay for a transfer if you don't book a Costa excursion?

We walked off the ship at no cost without booking an excursion.

Penang and Malaka: same questions as above

Penang, again we did not book an excursion and walked off the ship to awaiting taxis. Malaka was a tender and once the excursion groups had disembarked we could join the line for a tender - at no fee.

Sorted KL transfer via Costa.

Langkawi: does the ship dock at the deep port (Star cruises terminal I think)?

Langkawi docked at Star Cruises terminal. There was a shuttle bus to transport you to the main beach and shopping strip and this was $6 EURO per person. You could find your own way however there were few taxis at the Port and it would have been a good walk.

General question for all the above ports: are the towns/sight seeing far from where the ship docks and are you tendered at any of the ports.

I think I have answered this one above, but the towns are relatively close to where we dock and the taxis are so cheap and readily available it is easy to get around.

Did you do any "on your own stuff"?

We did the KL "on your own" and found this to be a stress-free way to get from Port Klang to KL. That was the only organised tour we paid for - however a couple we met had done the James Bond tour and enjoyed that.

Also Dizzy, we decided to go to Universal Studios in Singapore and it was well worth the cost. We loved our time in Singpapore - expensive but we were prepared for that.

Cheers MEL

Thanks heaps for that Mel - that's all my questions answered. I am going to pre book Universal studios because it will be on Friday 15th April and that is just on the edge of the school holidays - and Friday sort of being the beginning of the weekend.

Again many thanks

Cheers Liz

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for all the details- now I just have to hope that the same itinerary is offered when Costa finally release their plans for later this year or early 2012.

We were lucky on Nov 2010 when the Romantica stopped in Phuket- we were there overnight as well but we were the whole time anchored off Patong Beach- short tender to ship- there was another ship at Phuket Port!

I also loved Universal Singapore- took my 5 year old there. I do suggest prebooking as both days we were there they sold out.

The first day was especially crowded and lines were long- up to 2 hours wait time for most rides. This was when I discovered the express pass. Expensive but worth it for us- no waiting in hot sun with a fractious 5 year old. You do not have to buy these passes in advance and can upgrade once inside if the lines are especially long that day. It meant that once only for each ride we could go straight to the front of the line. It saved me a migraine in the hot sun- it was especially hot the days we were there- hotter than usual.

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for all the details- now I just have to hope that the same itinerary is offered when Costa finally release their plans for later this year or early 2012.

We were lucky on Nov 2010 when the Romantica stopped in Phuket- we were there overnight as well but we were the whole time anchored off Patong Beach- short tender to ship- there was another ship at Phuket Port!

I also loved Universal Singapore- took my 5 year old there. I do suggest prebooking as both days we were there they sold out.

The first day was especially crowded and lines were long- up to 2 hours wait time for most rides. This was when I discovered the express pass. Expensive but worth it for us- no waiting in hot sun with a fractious 5 year old. You do not have to buy these passes in advance and can upgrade once inside if the lines are especially long that day. It meant that once only for each ride we could go straight to the front of the line. It saved me a migraine in the hot sun- it was especially hot the days we were there- hotter than usual.

Hi tjandluke

Yes, we too will be interested in what costa have in way of itineraries in the next year or 2 (I had better get saving :eek:).

We really enjoyed our stay in Phuket. After spending several hours shopping, we cooled off at Patong beach. The kids swam there all afternoon, and there were plenty of water activites to do - jet ski hire, banana boat rides, parasailing. So we had a few cheap coldies (beers), daughter got her hair braided and I had a wonderful hour long massage for $6 AUD!

Fortunatley we visited Universal on a Tuesday and got there at opening time, and had no trouble getting on the rides or seeing the shows. However by late afternoon, it was packed with people and by the evening you couldn't move.

Dizzy - you are entitle to $5.00 food discount and $5.00 merchandise discount per pass to Universal. Which is a good saving as you can put them together (and have $20.00 off your lunch - for 4). We were really annoyed that we weren't advised of this by the tourist office (we bought the tickets and paid fulln price for lumch and the kids had bought their merchandise.....:mad:.

Hi Mel,

Did you see private speedboat operators or agents at the dock in Phuket for trips to James Bond Island?

Hi Ariellejesse

Apparently there were a number of local operators offering private trips to James Bond Island and other places. I couldn't tell you what they were charging, however there was some scepticism by fellow cruises to do such tours privately as they had been told that once at the island you don't have a lot of bargaining power and the operators can demand more money for you to return to the port/beach area. These comments may well be unfounded, but I guess it is something to think about....

Hi ariellejess, I just returned also from the 2nd Jan Costa cruise. We did a PP Islands speedboat tour, I think it was about 1700 baht pp, including drive from and to the sea port (which was about a 30min to 1hr drive). We booked with a company called JC Tours Phuket. We had no problems at all and enjoyed the tour alot (they also have a James Bond Islands tour I believe). We were never asked for more money, and we could pay when we reached Phuket (Which was good for us as we didn't want to prepay for anything). They have a website....just google their name!

I booked on line yesterday and have E tickets - so when we show these - we just walk to guest services and do they just hand them out or do you ask for them?

Once inside the gates- make a very slight left and there is Guest Services- do not be alarmed by the long line to get in- once inside they have maybe 12 people at the counter and the lines flies (less than 5 minutes for us)- They directed me to Guest Services with my E Tickets. I had no idea why? I actually thought there was a problem with the tickets. Once inside you just present the tickets and they hand you the vouchers. Easy. It was a nice surprise for us as I did not know anything about them

Hi Mel

Brain in overdrive again - is there a kettle in the cabin these days - or is there anything open to get a coffee for early risers like me - 5.00 am ish?

Liz[/quote

Hi Liz

Yes there was a kettle in the room and I assume coffee/tea bags (we didn't use it). There was some kind of "early riser" breakfast available each morning in the buffet area, comprising of coffee/tea and crossiant (from mermory), I think from 5am. But you could also order breakfast or just coffee to your cabin at no charge, and I think this was available early morning too.

On a different matter, I know it has been said before, but remember that there is no shampoo or conditioner provided.

Cheers

Mel

Hi Mel

Brain in overdrive again - is there a kettle in the cabin these days - or is there anything open to get a coffee for early risers like me - 5.00 am ish?

Liz

I dont think any of the Costa lines ships have kettles in the staterooms. We took our own little travel kettle.

You can get breakfast in your cabin from 6.30am you select what you would like from their list the previous night.

There are cereals (Kellogs) small boxes. Selections of Breads/Rolls etc.

Selection of Coffees and teas. Jams & Marmalades Fruit juices.

Ou r little kettle came in handy because we could have freshly boiled water for our tea instead of the luke warm water that they brought.:)

We arn't big breakfast eaters and we found this most convenient each morning in our cabin. It does not cost extra. If you still feel peckish you can still go and get a cooked breakfast in the MDR later on.

Hey dizzy,

We had kettles in all 3 our rooms, lol. I remember also seeing teabags, though not sure about coffee, as we never used any of this stuff.

No idea about the 5am breakfasts, was never up this early.

The one morning we were up early for a tour, breakfast only started at 7 or 7.30 so we had to skip it...

Oh, and on another topic, we found on the Classica we didn't actually have to bring a power adapter (or converter...the one that converts one country's plugs to another country's wall sockets)...as there was a multi-use powerboard in the room. I think it could fit 3 or 4 appliances (inc the kettle that was already in it).

Archived