Mediterrean Ports of Call - any ideas?

SeaSickGill

Hi

Could anyone make alternative suggestions for what to do in the following ports. Have tallied up the P&O excusions that seemed good but it comes to over £400 each!

Cadiz - does anyone know if a bus / or train to Cadiz is a possibilty, or is Cadiz nice enough just to wander around.

Alicante, again, is it pleasant?

Barcelona - I know like the back of my hand so, I'll get the subway (and look out for pickpockets):eek:

Cannes? (I've been to Nice and Monaco)

Gibraltar - I'll give the monkeys a miss, any ideas? Only half a day, I think.

Any ideas would be fab.

Love

Gillian

Hi

Any ideas would be fab.

Love

Gillian

Apes! Monkeys have tails! .. and they are so nice, especially when they jump into the cable car with you..

819602521_51716f1b65.jpg

For Gib go into the old war caves, some steep inclines but was worth it..

820451492_d184e54f63.jpg

820452736_6f3a780b2b.jpg

I'd do my own thing at every one of these ports.

Cadiz is wonderful, loads of cafes and restaurants, lovely pretty streets with nice shops to look around.

Alicante is a large city, but again, very nice to look around.

Barcelona is one of our favourite ports, stunning buildinga, the Gaudi park is definitely worth a visit, and if you have time, the chicken and chips in the famous Los Characoles restaurant is not to be missed.

Cannes is lovely if you get the weather, and Gib is, well Gib! like a home away from home.

Have a wonderful time.

Louise

Cadiz : there is a hop on hop off ( HOHO) outside the dock gate we stayed on and got off at the old quarter where the cathedril is and walked back to the ship.. then rejoind thebus for a ride around..

Barcelona: we have been a few times. There is a hoho bus that takes you around the main sites. We did the tour to the Barcelona foot ball stadium and grounds.. we have done the Gaudi park as well from the HOHO bus that is a good stop to get off and see the park.

Cannes : you can walk along via the Market and through the old town and back along the prom past where they hold the film festival. But do try a tour to Monaco which not only is it a lovely drive there andback the place is worth a visit. normally its half day so still time to walk around Cannes

Gibralta.. half day so sadly not much time to fit things in. We have been here heaps of time . If you want shopping its the place to go. There are taxis that run you into town or you can easily walk along the long pavement into the town. BUT if you want to see the rock.. there are tours into the Rock or up the rock on the cable car. the views are amazing. We have done the WW2 Fortress in the rock tour which takes you IN the rock and the Seige Tunnels tour. We have even done the overview tour with the cable car.. and the St Micheals Caves.. its up to you if you prefer to just shop then its like a UK high street. Often the tours end in the town so you can still see the town and get soem duty free.. and get a taxi or walk back to the ship.l

Have a lovely cruise.

Apes! Monkeys have tails! .. and they are so nice, especially when they jump into the cable car with you..

819602521_51716f1b65.jpg

For Gib go into the old war caves, some steep inclines but was worth it..

820451492_d184e54f63.jpg

820452736_6f3a780b2b.jpg

Nooo...I've had the misfortune of being bitten twice by monkeys/apes - once in Gibralta and once in Thailand - Rabies treatment isn't amusing:eek:

Thanks for your suggestions everyone - I did of course mean 'was there a train to Seville' not Cadiz - but I'll think I'll stay in Cadiz:)

Hi

Could anyone make alternative suggestions for what to do in the following ports. Have tallied up the P&O excusions that seemed good but it comes to over £400 each!

Cadiz - does anyone know if a bus / or train to Cadiz is a possibilty, or is Cadiz nice enough just to wander around.

Alicante, again, is it pleasant?

Barcelona - I know like the back of my hand so, I'll get the subway (and look out for pickpockets):eek:

Cannes? (I've been to Nice and Monaco)

Any ideas would be fab.

Love

Gillian

Gillian

6 or 7 photos of Alicante here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/ArcadiaMedCruiseJune07#5084169572485944898

Nice prom,marina and beach, shops behind...enough to do for the day if you don't want to do a trip.

Cadiz

The ship docks IN Cadiz, walk off the ship and you are there, plenty to do for the day. Outside the dock gates are hopon, hopoff tour buses, we took one for the tour around and got off and on as we wanted,-lovely gardens, a beach, shops etc.

Unfortunately Gibraltar has a tacky image with some not helped I think by it now almost always being half a day when I first started going on cruises as a child in the 70's it was an all day visit.there are some lovely beaches on Gibraltar small but lovely catlan bay being the nicest but difficult on half a day.I also like St Michaels caves already mentioned.

Years ago,my family knew a couple living in Gib that took us for afternoon tea at the Rock Hotel(which was delicious) I believe it still run like an old fashioned hotel and has a lovely terrace.

Unfortunately Gibraltar has a tacky image with some not helped I think by it now almost always being half a day when I first started going on cruises as a child in the 70's it was an all day visit.there are some lovely beaches on Gibraltar small but lovely catlan bay being the nicest but difficult on half a day.I also like St Michaels caves already mentioned.

Years ago,my family knew a couple living in Gib that took us for afternoon tea at the Rock Hotel(which was delicious) I believe it still run like an old fashioned hotel and has a lovely terrace.

We had a very nice week in Gibraltar staying at the Rock Hotel. It's quite a climb up from the town, but I agree, the terrace overlooking the harbour is worth the walk up through the botanical gardens for lunch or afternoon tea.

There is (was) a lovely fish restaurant with a shady terrace overlooking Catalan Bay beach too, which is only a short taxi ride or a longish walk depending on your fitness level. Our favourite end to the day was sitting in the enormous town square people watching and eating tapas.

Cannes: on our last visit we went ashore late morning, walked along the beach then up into the old town (Le Suquet) and had an excellent fresh-cooked lunch at a pavement cafe/restaurant. Not too expensive. We could have happily stayed there for a long time, but we had to rush off for an excursion to St Paul de Vence. Not bad, but we wished we'd stayed for a longer lunch and a drink. Or three.

Thanks for the response everyone.

I've booked Florence and Pisa, and Rome - both 'on your own'. That way we can do as much or as little as my mum can manage (dodgy knees!) If it's a bad knee day I'm sure we'll find somewhere to watch the world go by.

From your suggestions I think Hop on, Hop off, in Cadiz and Barcelona, with lunch and a wander as suggested above in Cannes, Gibraltar and Alicante.

Sorted - thanks:D

Gillian x

Archived