Nextel Cell service

Hello

Does anyone know if Nextel has service in the carribean (east) Looking to see if my direct connect (2-way) will work.......?

Thanks

Terry

I would HIGHLY doubt it. I cannot get it to work in my town much less out of the country.

I've had Nextel for several years now and they don't work once you get out of Miami. No service in any ports in the Eastern or Western Caribbean . Now my DW's Cingular worked great in San Juan and St. Thomas but only because they are U.S. owned.

Stretch

Absolutly NOT I was in the Easter Caribbean 2 weeks ago and had no service Nextel was the ONLY cell phone service that did not work (on the islands). My boyfriends verizon worked, T Mobile worked and Cingular worked as well. Nextel was the only one, and yes I called them when I got home last week to inform them that there the only cell phone carrier that did not work. Getting Business done I THINK NOT!!

Nextel works in very few other countries. They are tyring to make their phones international. They just started this year with England and some spots in Mexico by 2006. Other phone companies will work(i.e. T-Mobile, Cingular, Sprint, Verizon, etc.) but it will be pricey. As for Nextel it will work until you are pretty far our from the coast. When we were on the Glory a lot of people were on their Nextel the day before we got home because we were so close to shore, we were just waiting for the port to open.

zark427 I'm with you.....leave the darn thing at home. Send postcards!

I always leave the emergency number to reach the ship with one family member, otherwise I tell everyone to leave me the heck alone and don't expect a call until I get home. The cellular gets a rest too.

On our Hawaii trip last spring our nextel worked fine on every Island that we stopped at. we used the direct connect and talked to friends and work in PA almost everyday. We never had any luck in the Caribbean.. EAST OR WEST..

Maybe some of us would like to call home to check on our kids and say hello. I'm sorry if this is foreign to you, or if me talking to may family in my stateroom for less than 7.95 a minute bothers you in some way.

Hello, I just got off of the Brilliance Feb 25th and have Nextel, about 50 miles out of Florida and thats all she wrote!! no direct connect either. The ATT phones were going strong all throughout the cruise!!! We did bring along some phone cards so we were okay while in port. Just remember to have 50 cents.

Some pay phones require it.

James

Nope Nextel didn't work for us in the Eastern or Western Caribbean. Like someone else says it barely works here a lot of times. However it did work for us in Ensenada back in Sept. Matter of fact the phones pretty much worked the entire cruise.

Archived