Polynesia Islands Excursions

Benjis

Just looked at the Royal Princess Cruise excursions in the Polynesia Islands and Hawaii and 4 tours comes to over £400. Can anyone tell me if we should just wait and see whats on offer at the dock or would we be advised to book the Royal's tours as don't want to be disappointed at not seeing much as unlikely to do this cruise again.:)

Only you can decide how much you are willing to spend for excursions for what may be a once in a lifetime experience.

We have opted for Princess excursions in both Hawaii and French Polynesia, as well as on other cruises, because we know that Princess researches the companies they use for excursions, and have safety standards the those companies must adhere to in order to be used by Princess.

That, plus the factor of knowing that should an excursion be delayed in returning us to the ship, the ship will wait for us, is a comfortable feeling.

Many cruisers are comfortable with using independent tour operators, and encourage others to do likewise, because they can do it for less money.

It all comes down to personal preference and the thickness of one's wallet, I guess.

Thanks, you just confirmed what I thought. I normally prefer using the ships tours for the reasons you have just quoted. But, I continually read on this cruise critic about Americans always booking ahead that it makes me wonder if we are doing the right thing. We cruise a lot mainly P&O but if you want a more exotic cruise we normally turn to Princess. So unless somebody comes up with a safe and reliable tour company I think I will just stick with Princess as I doubt we will do this area again as we are not getting any younger and long flights are now becoming a chore.

Just looked at the Royal Princess Cruise excursions in the Polynesia Islands and Hawaii and 4 tours comes to over £400. Can anyone tell me if we should just wait and see whats on offer at the dock or would we be advised to book the Royal's tours as don't want to be disappointed at not seeing much as unlikely to do this cruise again.
Another option is to check the Roll Call for your Royal Princess cruise & see if any of your fellow cruise mates are arranging group tours. If so, you can sign up for a tour with them if the itinerary & price appeals to you.

There are many private operators in South Pacific ports that have proven to be cost-effective and reliable alternatives to ship tours. Many such operators are reviewed in the Ports of Call forum or in the Member Reviews section of CC. Definitely worth a look before you hand over £400 for ship tours!

We have taken this cruise 6+ times now and rarely do ships excursion. Normally your best bet is to get with others on your roll call for better and less expensive excursions. The ships tours are OK, but usually overpriced for what you receive. There are lots of private tours available in French Polynesia, for most of the islands, whether you book in advance, or wait until you arrive (waiting until you arrive is fine for most islands, but there are a couple (such as Huahine) that there just isn't much to be had.

There are tours on the docks in Moorea, Bora Bora, Raietea (go to the Shell station--look behind it and there are tours) and Rangiroa. A few of us had arranged tours in Rangiroa with Raie Manta, but Freddy never showed up. There is a dive shop right on the pier--ParaDive--I think--Charlotte and Oliver---less than the ship's tours--and they rent equipment. The Tahitians are VERY friendly, and we had no problems anywhere. Don't know about Huahine as it rained when we were there.

Toto & Butterfly,

I'm really trying to find a tour operator in Raiatea for an afternoon/evening tour. Something that might encompass maybe the River during the day, pearl farm, etc. and then maybe onto a Sunset cruise?

Would either of you have anyone you can recommend? Most of the websites I see are water excursion related and we already are diving in the morning.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Robin

On Raiatea, there are lots of tour operators at the dock. Vai Poe is the one we used both times we were there. If I remember right, they had several different excursions...they will take you to a motu only, or a motu and then a vanilla plantation, etc. Also some others but there is quite a variety. If going to Huahine, Marc's motu picnic is a must http://www.huahine-nautique.com/

On Bora Bora, the Bora Bora Photo Lagon is one of many at the dock. Damien Dunund runs that excursion and he's an expert photographer and will get some great shots of you in the water with the fish...I mean great shots.

On the Hawaiian islands, we had more fun renting a car and doing our own thing.

hope that helps.

Toto & Butterfly,

I'm really trying to find a tour operator in Raiatea for an afternoon/evening tour. Something that might encompass maybe the River during the day, pearl farm, etc. and then maybe onto a Sunset cruise?

Would either of you have anyone you can recommend? Most of the websites I see are water excursion related and we already are diving in the morning.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Robin

Hi Robin-- I just posted on another thread---I think it's the Raiatea one--for the answer....

Archived