X the rules seeks to throw a wide net?

Dena

I think this must be the only explanation. The typical Celebrity demographic must not be filling the ships at a high enough price anymore; not surprising given the recession. However, younger people (and this campaigne is surely aimed at younger people) tend to be even harder hit, so percent wise even fewer of them will be able to cruise. On its face, it would seem like a bad idea.

Yet this isn't about percent, it is about absolute numbers. It's about filling the ship at the right price by any means. It is about throwing a wide net and seeing what you can catch. It smacks of desperation. Still it might work. So from a business stand point of view, it's worth the gamble. Maybe a few loyal customers will be lost, but it could still be a net gain. And if the "X the rules" folks drink and gamble more, all the better.

Maybe Celebrity has to try this to survive. I read on another thread that they are pulling ships from the Caribbean to go to Europe for higher per diems. Many cruise lines are leaving California for Australia where the economy is better.

Another thread said Celebrity is in deep debt because of the new ships and has junk bond status. I don't know if this is true or really what the implications are. I believe the decision to limit smoking on board probably did decrease on board revenue, and this was OK, but then the recession hit. The smoking policy is the only reason we are even considering Celebrity. I am glad Celebrity was brave enough to try this. Now I am going to wait at least one year to see if the new clientele will X the smoking rules and, if so, will Celebrtiy dare correct them.

Perhaps you should check out the stock price and what brokerage firms have to say to say, rather than the "experts" here.

Celebrity is part of RCL.

Which is riding a very high stock price right now.

Maybe Celebrity has to try this to survive. I read on another thread that they are pulling ships from the Caribbean to go to Europe for higher per diems. Many cruise lines are leaving California for Australia where the economy is better.

The re-deployments are just sound business decisions. It is happening within the Carnival Corp and NCL as well. Cruise lines will go where the money is.

Archived