Stingray Excursion @ HMC??

pacarolinagirl

I am wondering that too. I saw a thread on here ( I will have to find it and post it) but it said they were in a cage and tame. Not like in Grand Cayman at sting ray city/sandbar.

We are interested in doing this as well.

I found it here it is

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1104261&highlight=sting+ray+excursion

Thanks! I'll keep checking back. We did the one in the Caymans...I'm sure that one will be hard to beat. That was just my hubby & I. Our son really wants to see the stingrays so we thought this excursion wouldn't be that bad & it isn't really that expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the stingray encounter at HMC last Dec.:D

The area is enclosed with nets,The water was really cold,but was not over your head.

The price was right $19.00 for HAL,not sure how much it is with CCL.

DW was delighted to swim,touch and feed the stingrays,albeit the water was cold for Dec in the Bahamas.

Would we do it again?

DW yes,Me I would watch,as water now in Feb would be too cold.

Looks like the air temp is in the 70's near 80. So you think the water would still be cold? We go to HMC 2/20. My family really wants to do this and the horseback riding. I hope it's not to cold. You being from FL that is saying alot for it to be cold.

Can anyone give me an updated opinion on this? I want to take my 11 yr old. I found a review thread but it was from a few years ago. Thanks for any info.

I just did it this Christmas and I am 12 so this is going to be pretty accurate.

So the Cost is 20$ with rentals included, pretty good. When you book (wether on the island or ship) it states a time. At about 5 too you should go to the bar seating area, that is where you will be called for your excursion. You will be brought to the tram. Once of they will fit you with gear and partial wet suits (weather permitting). Their are bathrooms/change rooms there. (2 person so parents don't need to worry LOL) The whole thing is about an hour. You feed them, pat them, and swim with them. It is pretty cool. I also saw a starfish there. If it is too cold it will be canceled. DONT go to the stingrays, wait for them to come for you.

Have Fun and happy Sailing,

PAUL :)

When we were at HMC, we took the Eco Lagoon tour, which goes past (on the water side) the ray enclosure. I was not impressed with what I saw. It was in the lagoon, not the ocean, and is rather small. It gave me the impression of a zoo cage :(. That being said, it does not mean it is bad, particularly if you have smaller children, since being in the lagoon, it will be calm water and much more controlled.

Willie-Thanks for that feedback. Thats actually just what we are looking for.

Honestly, my BF son is scared of a butterfly! Sounds bad but he is. And for $25 we dont mind paying for this one as opposed to much more $$ on our other stops and have him chicken out. Ive done all the open water stingray swims and he probably wouldnt enjoy it.

Thanks for all the recent info everyone. I did book it for my son & I...DH said he'd watch. LOL! I figured for that price, it would be OK if it wasn't "off the charts" so to speak. Our son just really wants to see them up close, etc. I booked for 10am & we also have a cabana so we should be getting off that ship early. :) I'm hoping the water temps will be great since we're going in June. :cool:

Looks like the air temp is in the 70's near 80. So you think the water would still be cold? We go to HMC 2/20. My family really wants to do this and the horseback riding. I hope it's not to cold. You being from FL that is saying alot for it to be cold.

Just got back from Freeport and Nasau, water was freezing. Beaches were nice sort of windy and a little chilly.

Just got back from Freeport and Nasau, water was freezing. Beaches were nice sort of windy and a little chilly.

Ya know, we were in the Caymans in May & that water was much cooler than I expected it to be. It was fine after you got in it for a little bit. I just wasn't expecting it to be that cool. :confused:

• 4 months later...

The stingray excursion was perfect for our 11 yr old. He had a wonderful time! We got to pet a few stingrays, checked out some starfish & sea cucumbers. It is very shallow by the steps & closer to land. I think it got deeper as you went out but he wasn't up for that. I had to coax him off the steps (my DH said I pulled him off the steps). ;) Here are some pics...

CruiseDays12012.jpg

CruiseDays12016.jpg

CruiseDays12017.jpg

CruiseDays12018.jpg

I didn't get many underwater pics due to my battery not charging the night before. My charger had died. My DH videoed the entire time. He was not part of the "paid excursion" but they told him he could ride with us IF there was room. There was "just enough" room for him. We actually walked back to our cabana instead of taking the bus all the way back to the cruiseport. So that is an option. It isn't that far of a walk from the cruiseport or the cabanas. We were in cabana #14. I personally thought we got our money's worth if that helps anyone in deciding. HOWEVER, if you have your own snorkel gear, USE IT. I picked up a cold & no I can't swear it was from their snorkel gear but I was perfectly fine up til then...that evening I felt the cold come on. Just a suggestion!

Any more questions, feel free to ask. Yes, we went the 2nd week in June & the water was STILL somewhat cool. Felt great after you got in & moved around though. :)

Archived