Back from NCL Jewel with 2.5 year old twins

thewolffs

One of my daughters has a dairy and peanut allergy, so we had that issue to deal with. I made the mistake of not meeting with the restaurant manager at the start of the cruise. I found getting soy milk for her was a pain. I'm sure I could have had it arranged to be delivered to the cabin, if I had met with the manager. One night they assured me there was no dairy in the pasta or sauce and she broke out in hives. I was told I should be ordering her food the night before, but we never knew where we'd be eating. I found the dining room to be too difficult at this age. She lived on chicken fingers and fries. She seemed happy with that.

They went to the kids club a couple of times at the beginning of the cruise. We had 5 days in a row in ports, so they didn't go those days. When we tried bringing them back at the end of the cruise, they wouldn't go in. I was kind of annoyed with some of the staff. They weren't trying to encourage them to come in. They'd just sit there and hope we'd leave:) I know once we left them the girls would have been fine. They go to the YMCA playroom and are fine.

We had a great cruise and the girls loved walking around the ship and the beach. They used the kiddie pool. All the kids in that pool were in swim diapers, even though they aren't supposed to be, mine included. I wasn't going to let mine go in, but I figured if everyone else was doing it, we might as well join in. It was their favorite part of the trip. They could have stayed in there forever.

Sad to be back to reality. Loved having someone else cooking my meals and cleaning my cabin. Let me know if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my daughters has a dairy and peanut allergy, so we had that issue to deal with. I made the mistake of not meeting with the restaurant manager at the start of the cruise. I found getting soy milk for her was a pain. I'm sure I could have had it arranged to be delivered to the cabin, if I had met with the manager. One night they assured me there was no dairy in the pasta or sauce and she broke out in hives. I was told I should be ordering her food the night before, but we never knew where we'd be eating. I found the dining room to be too difficult at this age. She lived on chicken fingers and fries. She seemed happy with that.

They went to the kids club a couple of times at the beginning of the cruise. We had 5 days in a row in ports, so they didn't go those days. When we tried bringing them back at the end of the cruise, they wouldn't go in. I was kind of annoyed with some of the staff. They weren't trying to encourage them to come in. They'd just sit there and hope we'd leave:) I know once we left them the girls would have been fine. They go to the YMCA playroom and are fine.

We had a great cruise and the girls loved walking around the ship and the beach. They used the kiddie pool. All the kids in that pool were in swim diapers, even though they aren't supposed to be, mine included. I wasn't going to let mine go in, but I figured if everyone else was doing it, we might as well join in. It was their favorite part of the trip. They could have stayed in there forever.

Sad to be back to reality. Loved having someone else cooking my meals and cleaning my cabin. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for posting your feedback. :) I'm looking to book our first cruise with our three year old twin boys. They'll probably be closer to five by the time we get on the boat but I do have allergy concerns with one son (tree nuts and ground nuts). I've made a mental note of your comments with regards to meeting the resturant manager - I don't want a reaction because there may be something added by accident. I've got allergies too, so I need to be really specific about food for both of us otherwise we'll be on salad the entire trip!

I have a peanut allergy and have been very pleased with the assistance from NCL on this issue.

You need to contact the special access desk accessdesk@ncl.com

as far in advance as possible. They will send you paper work to fill out.

When you get on the ship you will meet with the maitre d' who will go over your particular sitiuation in regards to dining. They will tell you what is safe to eat and have you pre-order the next days meals so it can be prepared in a special kitchen.

The kids club does not allow any food inside so he will be safe that way.

They are also very attuned to food allergies and may give you a pager so they can contact you.

I would avoid the buffets because I have seen a lot of cross contamination :eek: and it's just too risky for me...

Thanks Russianmom - I'm going to tee everything up way before getting on the ship as it sounds so much easier that way. Our kids started Kindergarten this week just passed and we had to go over everything there and sign off forms. The teachers were 'we have a no nut policy' and when I quizzed them they focussed on ground nuts (peanuts) and I had to say 'ah no, Nutella and other chocolate nut spreads are a major issue for my son'. They hadn't thought of the spreads and that's what most kids are likely to bring as a treat! :eek:

Thanks Russianmom - I'm going to tee everything up way before getting on the ship as it sounds so much easier that way. Our kids started Kindergarten this week just passed and we had to go over everything there and sign off forms. The teachers were 'we have a no nut policy' and when I quizzed them they focussed on ground nuts (peanuts) and I had to say 'ah no, Nutella and other chocolate nut spreads are a major issue for my son'. They hadn't thought of the spreads and that's what most kids are likely to bring as a treat! :eek:

I agree! I find that most people don't understand. I had someone in a restaurant tell me " there's just a little bit of nuts in it- you should be fine":eek: The maitre d' can also walk you thru the buffet but like I said I find that too risky...

Do you travel with Benadryl and epi-pens?

Russianmom - yeah I had a doctor ask me once 'what would happen if you ate a whole plate of seafood'. Erm - one drop of fish sauce and I'm throwing up every 10 minutes for 72 hours and I'm allergic to most anti-ermetics, so I'm unlikely to go for the seafood buffet. Neither of us are epipens as of yet but my son has more testing in May to confirm one way or another if he's going to need a pen.

Archived