Zip Lining

I know its been asked before. I have a ,well, medium to higher fear of heights I'd say. I WANT to take the Dragon's breath zipline and then hopefully move onto this: http://www.canopy-tour-costa-rica.com/cruiseship-special.html

I know a lot of people that are afraid of heights say go for it!! Not as bad as it looks. I guess I'm looking or reassurance. Thanks for patience with my issue!

Ed & Lynn

P.S. Wifey is a go getter, she'll jump into this with both feet and never look back!

I know its been asked before. I have a ,well, medium to higher fear of heights I'd say. I WANT to take the Dragon's breath zipline and then hopefully move onto this: http://www.canopy-tour-costa-rica.com/cruiseship-special.html

I know a lot of people that are afraid of heights say go for it!! Not as bad as it looks. I guess I'm looking or reassurance. Thanks for patience with my issue!

Ed & Lynn

P.S. Wifey is a go getter, she'll jump into this with both feet and never look back!

I've taken/dragged people that are afraid of heights on zipline tours, and they all say they would do it again. ;)

Hi! I have a severe fear of heights to the verge of fainting on occasions. We once stayed in a hotel that was built too narrow and straight up and down to my liking and I couldn't 'get a grip' on my fear lol. We were on the 11th floor and I was shaking and the room was spinning. It was nuts.

Anyways...we were on Adventure of the Seas in 2009. We had heard many great things about zip lining through friends who had done it and through the message boards. My hubby really wanted to do it. I was having anxiety. I searched and read thread after thread about it on cruise critic. I finally decided to give in and just do it.

I LOVED IT!!!! Now I cannot comment on Costa Rica...but for me in St. Lucia...I couldn't even tell how high up I was until I was actually out on the zip and even then it was cool to me and I could let out some of the anxiety with a scream if I felt it. The way the platforms were made and the zips and with all the trees, I couldn't tell how high up I really was...like when you looked down it wasn't like all empty space 800 feet below you ya know? So my advice is to do it!!! I also knew what else was I gonna do once I got up there, I was gonna HAVE to do it, I couldn't exactly turn around halfway through haha. So it was a good experience.

Try to find pics or video of the zip lining in Costa Rica that you are interested in, that might help as well to judge how their course is laid out.

ETA: I would definatly do it again!!!!!!! If you search zip lining on here or on the Costa Rica forum you will find a lot of people who had a fear of heights and went through with it!

I am really afraid of heights - I tend to react by just kind of getting paralyzed & not being able to move because I'm afraid I'm going to fall.

The practice zipline was VERY helpful in figuring out what to expect by the time we got to the big one. In a way I sort of feel like it was scarier. The reason is that the practice zipline is only about 20-30 feet up, however the view down to the ground is completely unobstructed. The big zipline is right over a bunch of tree tops, so while it is obvious that you are way the heck up in the air, it doesn't seem so bad because the treetops obscure the view of the ground - until you get past them.

I knew I'd kick myself to get all the way to the top of the tower (which I actually had a hard time walking on because I was so afraid) & then not do the zipline so I made myself do it.

I cried & screamed all the way down & I would do it again - it was that exciting kind of fear...I knew I was safe but I was still scared, and the ride was worth all my terror.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
I am really afraid of heights - I tend to react by just kind of getting paralyzed & not being able to move because I'm afraid I'm going to fall.

The practice zipline was VERY helpful in figuring out what to expect by the time we got to the big one. In a way I sort of feel like it was scarier. The reason is that the practice zipline is only about 20-30 feet up, however the view down to the ground is completely unobstructed. The big zipline is right over a bunch of tree tops, so while it is obvious that you are way the heck up in the air, it doesn't seem so bad because the treetops obscure the view of the ground - until you get past them.

I knew I'd kick myself to get all the way to the top of the tower (which I actually had a hard time walking on because I was so afraid) & then not do the zipline so I made myself do it.

I cried & screamed all the way down & I would do it again - it was that exciting kind of fear...I knew I was safe but I was still scared, and the ride was worth all my terror.

Enjoy!

Thanks mamapan. I'm not "quite" as scared as you over heights :D, being up high doesn't bother me. Just, you know, hanging from a cable at 50 mph does it to me! Thanks for the reassurance!

Zip-lines are not created equal.....I have been on several, my first experience was in Costa Rica...and it was very challenging. I do not recall what company we went with but we booked on our own...and we controlled our speed on the line by using our gloved hands... twice I became stuck in the middle one time my pulley loosened and I was "rescued", the other time I had to pull myself to the platform. This requires both physical and mental strength and yes I was way up when my pulley came loose I even saw a sloth checking me out as I was hanging there.

I would find out more specifics about the company you are using.

The other zip lines I have been on were in the Caribbean and Mexico and do not even begin to compare to our experience in Costa Rica. Caribbean and Mexico were more like an amusement ride where guides push you off and slow you down, the lines/cables are much shorter......Costa Rica was like... Fear Factor you are controlling your speed and sometimes you cannot even see the platform you are going to because the line is so long.

I see this is an old thread and you booked it.......

Enjoy

My teenage daughters and I have done the Dragon's Breath zip line and LOVED IT!! I don't necessarily have a fear of heights, but a fear of falling :eek:. And with that zip line, you're so secure, that the falling fear isn't there. Plus, the view down is magnificent!! Just don't forget to "starfish" (that'll make sense once you do it...) Good luck and have fun!

Archived