Med cruise choices??

sandiego1

I am looking for a vacation to celebrate a big milestone birthday. I am considering one of 3 Celebrity Med cruises for Sept 2011. I was in Rome, Venice and Florence in Sept 2010 but wouldn't mind going again as I loved it - especially Venice. I have never been to any of the other ports listed on the itineraries. Other than my recenty trip to Italy, I've done very little traveling in Europe.

Any recommendations for which I should choose?

12-Day Mediterranean Greek Isles - Celebrity Solstice

Cruise Ports: Barcelona; Rome (Civitavecchia); Naples/Capri; Santorini, Greece; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey, Mykonos, Greece; Athens (Piraeus), Greece; Valletta, Malta; Barcelona

11-Day Eastern Mediterranean - Celebrity Equinox

Cruise Ports: Rome (Civitavecchia); Santorini, Greece; Athens (Piraeus); Istanbul; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey; Mykonos, Greece; Naples/Capri; Rome (Civitavecchia)

12-Day Greek Isles & Turkey - Celebrity Constellation

Cruise Ports: Istanbul; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey; Bodrum, Turkey; Marmaris, Turkey; Rhodes, Greece; Santorini, Greece; Athens (Piraeus); Mykonos, Greece; Chania (Souda),Crete, Greece; Istanbul

Of course I'm prejudiced, but I like the 11 day cruise. The ship is not even 2 years old and it starts and ends in the eternal city of Rome. It also just so happens that there is a great roll call for the Sept 19th cruise.:D

Nancy

Have done all of those itineries, was just on the Connie in the Med in the fall, ship has been totally redone. If you travel for the ship pick the newest, if you choose for the itineries, all are great. There are also Western Meds that get more Spain and France which are also great. ENJOY!!!:):)

we are doing the Sept. 5 Solstice cruise, since it goes to Dubrovnik Croatia and Venice, where we have never been. Past cruise to Instanbul and Ephesus was great as well. all depends on which ports you may want to see, etc.

As you'll see from signature... we're doing a 10 day Equinox...rome to rome.... I'd do the 11 day if we could... our work schedules are pushing the 10 day with pre and post stays in Italy....

All good..depends on if you've been before and what port are of interst to you...:p We wanted to do Greece leaving for Rome so we can re visit Rome....

CC

I am looking for a vacation to celebrate a big milestone birthday. I am considering one of 3 Celebrity Med cruises for Sept 2011. I was in Rome, Venice and Florence in Sept 2010 but wouldn't mind going again as I loved it - especially Venice. I have never been to any of the other ports listed on the itineraries. Other than my recenty trip to Italy, I've done very little traveling in Europe.

Any recommendations for which I should choose?

12-Day Mediterranean Greek Isles - Celebrity Solstice

Cruise Ports: Barcelona; Rome (Civitavecchia); Naples/Capri; Santorini, Greece; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey, Mykonos, Greece; Athens (Piraeus), Greece; Valletta, Malta; Barcelona

11-Day Eastern Mediterranean - Celebrity Equinox

Cruise Ports: Rome (Civitavecchia); Santorini, Greece; Athens (Piraeus); Istanbul; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey; Mykonos, Greece; Naples/Capri; Rome (Civitavecchia)

12-Day Greek Isles & Turkey - Celebrity Constellation

Cruise Ports: Istanbul; Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey; Bodrum, Turkey; Marmaris, Turkey; Rhodes, Greece; Santorini, Greece; Athens (Piraeus); Mykonos, Greece; Chania (Souda),Crete, Greece; Istanbul

All of these sound wonderful but I vote for the Solstice, which is a great ship. Getting from the Barcelona airport to the port is very easy. Barcelona is a beautiful city with wonderful architecture. All are going to Santorini, which is a must do in my book. What a hard choice to make!

For a great milestone event I would pick a 12 day cruise. Research both Barcelona and Istanbul and decide which city appeals to you most. Arrive three days early and explore the port city. I have done a cruise from Barcelona and I agree it is a wonderful city to explore and easy to get to the port, airport etc. Whatever one you pick, you will have a wonderful cruise.:)

As a matter of background I am a retired Naval Officer and lived in Sothern Spain for three years and South of Rome for 2 years and have visited/cruised to virtually all ports that you have listed. I personally would chose the 12 day out of Istanbul especially since you did Italy this past September. I did a similar cruise during the same time of year a few years ago and literally had the time of my life and the weather was awesome. From what I have read the Constellation is comparable to the S class but that is such an incredibally port intensive itinerary that ship is not as important than on other itineraries. I have had some lifetime highlights of history (Istanbul, Ephesus, and Athens) and scenery (Santorini/Oia is breathtaking) in the places that cruise visits. Please ensure you allow yourself a few days on either end of Istanbul. It is one of the most interesting cities in the world. Many folks think that all Greek Islands are the same but what makes them so intersting is that they are all so different. Good luck and whatever you choose you can't lose.

We are thinking of taking a Mediterranean Cruise as well; interested in Rome, Venice and Spain. We are open to how long and the rest of the itinerary. Would like to know which cruiseline would be the best and which itinerary. There are so many to choose. Also would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for your replies.

I'm really struggling w/ my decision :confused: I need to research each of the ships a bit more to see if that will sway me 1 way or another. I'm leaning towards #1 on the Solstice since it leaves 2 days earlier than the other 2. My hubbie's biz trip ends the night of 9/13. #1 leaves on the 17th. The other 2 don't leave until 9/19. Not sure if he can be out of the office from 9/7 through 10/2 for #3 (incl his biz trip). However, it is also the most expensive.

For #3, I don't think I want to spend 5 nights in Istanbul before our cruise, plus the 1 overnight there while on the cruise. Seems excessive. However, #3 is the cheapest ($700 pp less than #1 and $280 less than #2). UGH - how will I decide??

I'm also looking at a HAL cruise that is 10 days out of Rome on 9/15. Very similar ports and considerably cheaper than the Celebrity options. We want to do a suite since it's a big bday. HAL is $1400 pp less than Celebrity #1. That's a big difference. But some is offset by the Celebrity on board credit we would get from our TA and the fact that #1 is 2 days longer than HAL. HAL suite incls free laundry and the wonderful Neptune lounge. Still I'm leaning towards Celebrity because of the more rigid smoking policy which I like. But I've been reading that folks still smoke on their balconies despite the policy since it's very difficult to determine exactly where the smoke is coming from. If the person is sitting under their covered balcony, you can't directly see them from another balcony - therefore, their deed goes unpunished. BTW - I do NOT want to turn this into yet another smoking thread, just wanted to add some of the factors in trying to make this tough decision.

We did the 11 night Equinox cruise for our milestone birthdays and 25th wedding anniversary last year and it was amazing.

It was also our first cruise so ofcourse we had nothing to compare it to. However the Equinox is a wonderful ship - we were totally spoilt.

The ports were fabulous, especially Istanbul and Mykanos (our favourite).

You wont go wrong with any of the itineries, but take it from me - the Equinox is definitely worth a try! :)

I'm really struggling w/ my decision :confused: I need to research each of the ships a bit more to see if that will sway me 1 way or another. I'm leaning towards #1 on the Solstice since it leaves 2 days earlier than the other 2. My hubbie's biz trip ends the night of 9/13. #1 leaves on the 17th. The other 2 don't leave until 9/19. Not sure if he can be out of the office from 9/7 through 10/2 for #3 (incl his biz trip). However, it is also the most expensive.

For #3, I don't think I want to spend 5 nights in Istanbul before our cruise, plus the 1 overnight there while on the cruise. Seems excessive. However, #3 is the cheapest ($700 pp less than #1 and $280 less than #2). UGH - how will I decide??

I'm also looking at a HAL cruise that is 10 days out of Rome on 9/15. Very similar ports and considerably cheaper than the Celebrity options. We want to do a suite since it's a big bday. HAL is $1400 pp less than Celebrity #1. That's a big difference. But some is offset by the Celebrity on board credit we would get from our TA and the fact that #1 is 2 days longer than HAL. HAL suite incls free laundry and the wonderful Neptune lounge. Still I'm leaning towards Celebrity because of the more rigid smoking policy which I like. But I've been reading that folks still smoke on their balconies despite the policy since it's very difficult to determine exactly where the smoke is coming from. If the person is sitting under their covered balcony, you can't directly see them from another balcony - therefore, their deed goes unpunished. BTW - I do NOT want to turn this into yet another smoking thread, just wanted to add some of the factors in trying to make this tough decision.

Have you determined what ports you will be in for the big milestone birthday? Don't just look at the price in determining which cruise -- cost of the transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia ain't cheap. Airfare to Istanbul would cost more than Barcelona. I think in the end they would all be comparable.

Archived