What is a zipline tour?

Onessa

I'm not a warm weather cruiser - AK, Baltic, Iceland, Maritime provinces - so I've got a very basic question - what is a zipline tour? What does it entail? Can my 40-year-old body handle it? What is the minimum age?

zipline tours are where you hike then hook onto a steel cable and zip across to your next destination. You are outfittled with helment and harnesses (which go by your weight). Our son and his fiancee are doing one while in Hawaii. They will be hiking in the forest and ziplining past waterfalls. There are other posts on this just look at some of the earlier posts about this.

We did this in Puerta Vallarta in June and absolutely loved it! Very safe and a total blast - even for those afraid of heights, like I am! My husband is 42 and handled it just fine!!

Ziplining sounds like fun, and I love doing "extreme" type things ... parachuting, bungee jumping in Costa Rica, etc. But what worries me is that I weigh about 190 pounds. Wonder if it would be "safe" for me?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am not sure about the ones in Hawaii, but in PV - they had harnesses based on your body size. To get an idea of what it is like, check out this site: http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/tour.htm

I have not researched the ones in Hawaii, so I don't know what their set up is... but at least you get an idea.

Here is one that was recommended here and they say their limit is 275 lbs... It is on Kauai.

http://www.outfitterskauai.com/KipuFalls_ZiplineTrek.htm

Tina

We are also thinking of doing the zipline in Kaui when we are there in June. I have the opposite weight problem and would like to know from anyone experienced what they think. I have a 12 year old daughter who only weighs 65 pounds. The requirements say 8 years old or 80 to 275 pounds. Would it be dangerous for her to go being that light. She is a very mature 12 year old so she would fit the age limit just fine. We told her she has to gain 20 pounds in the next 3 months but I really doubt that will happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Archived