Carnival Freedom - Handicap Friendly

mosaic_mom

We just got back from our cruise on the Carnival Freedom. I use a rollator for mobility and I wanted to share my experience with anyone considering this ship.

This ship has very good accessibility. Plus the ship crew members were absolutely awesome in accomodating anyone with limitations. I noticed that there were several guests who used rollators and walkers. There were also a few in wheelchairs.

Muster drill was a little confusing. We went to our muster station and they didn't know where to tell me to go and just kind of left us standing there, so we gathered with others with walkers and wheelchairs in the Havana Bar (aft), which was near our muster station, and they had a muster drill for us there. Nothing special. Just 2 crew members going through the motions like they did at the regular muster stations.

I use a rollator that folds up, so we didn't have an accessible cabin, but we had no difficulty keeping the walker in the cabin, as it didn't take up a lot of room at all when folded. Even when we left it fully open, there was no problem keeping it in the cabin (balcony cabin). We had a bit of difficulty in the hallways when the cabin stewards were cleaning and had their carts in the hallways, but that is hard to avoid anywhere I think. Inside the cabin, the bathroom was a little challenging to get up that big step, but it was manageable.

Elevators gave me access to all levels of the ship, except the rear couple decks to the walking track and the miniature golf course, but those places were not places I needed to go. The Serenity deck was accessible by taking the front elevators to deck 11 and then taking the single elevator that goes from deck 11 to 12 by Camp Carnival and the spa.

The dining room was difficult to navigate since the tables are so close together, but the waiters were eager to help move chairs/tables to allow me to get through. The Lido buffet area was difficult to navigate as well, especially when there were lots of people up there. The staff did help by carrying my tray to a table for me when needed, even though I could have put the tray on my rollator seat just as well, but they insisted on helping, which I felt was very nice. They offered to refill drinks and get drinks for me to avoid me having to walk more or carry a drink while pushing a rollator.

The decks were easy to navigate. Once we learned the layout of the ship, getting around was quite easy. Other guests were more of a problem than the ship or the crew. The Victoriana Lounge where the shows are held had special areas for wheelchair guests with signs on seats next to them for people with the wheelchair guests. There was no problem with me putting my rollator there and sitting on the seat next to it when there were no wheelchair guests there. Only had one problem with a rude able-bodied passenger who refused to let me sit there cause she was saving seats.

Getting on and off the ship at ports was not difficult at all. Those ramps were a little steep but there were always crew members eager to help.

At the end of the cruise, when we were ready to debark, they allowed us to go the the Victoriana Lounge early before people started crowding the elevators and wait there until we were called to debark. That was a lot easier than trying to cram into an elevator with a lot of other people with luggage.

If anyone goes on this ship and does the 8 day Western trip that goes to Panama, if you are planning to take the Panama Canal Tour excursion, don't worry about accessibility. The bus drivers were very accomodating. 2 men in wheelchairs went on our part of the excursion (not sure how many were in the other group, if any). The ferry boats allow wheelchairs and walkers and rollators. The staff was very eager to help get on and off the ferry as well. They served food on the ferry and even told me everything that there was and asked what they could bring me (but my DH had already gotten in line to get me something).

This was our first trip with the rollator and I feel it was awesome. Didn't really run into any issues at all. Of course, we had no tender ports, so that was a big help.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I'll try to answer as much as I can. I'm back at work already, so bear with me if I don't answer real fast.

We just got back from our cruise on the Carnival Freedom. I use a rollator for mobility and I wanted to share my experience with anyone considering this ship.

This ship has very good accessibility. Plus the ship crew members were absolutely awesome in accomodating anyone with limitations. I noticed that there were several guests who used rollators and walkers. There were also a few in wheelchairs.

Muster drill was a little confusing. We went to our muster station and they didn't know where to tell me to go and just kind of left us standing there, so we gathered with others with walkers and wheelchairs in the Havana Bar (aft), which was near our muster station, and they had a muster drill for us there. Nothing special. Just 2 crew members going through the motions like they did at the regular muster stations.

I use a rollator that folds up, so we didn't have an accessible cabin, but we had no difficulty keeping the walker in the cabin, as it didn't take up a lot of room at all when folded. Even when we left it fully open, there was no problem keeping it in the cabin (balcony cabin). We had a bit of difficulty in the hallways when the cabin stewards were cleaning and had their carts in the hallways, but that is hard to avoid anywhere I think. Inside the cabin, the bathroom was a little challenging to get up that big step, but it was manageable.

Elevators gave me access to all levels of the ship, except the rear couple decks to the walking track and the miniature golf course, but those places were not places I needed to go. The Serenity deck was accessible by taking the front elevators to deck 11 and then taking the single elevator that goes from deck 11 to 12 by Camp Carnival and the spa.

The dining room was difficult to navigate since the tables are so close together, but the waiters were eager to help move chairs/tables to allow me to get through. The Lido buffet area was difficult to navigate as well, especially when there were lots of people up there. The staff did help by carrying my tray to a table for me when needed, even though I could have put the tray on my rollator seat just as well, but they insisted on helping, which I felt was very nice. They offered to refill drinks and get drinks for me to avoid me having to walk more or carry a drink while pushing a rollator.

The decks were easy to navigate. Once we learned the layout of the ship, getting around was quite easy. Other guests were more of a problem than the ship or the crew. The Victoriana Lounge where the shows are held had special areas for wheelchair guests with signs on seats next to them for people with the wheelchair guests. There was no problem with me putting my rollator there and sitting on the seat next to it when there were no wheelchair guests there. Only had one problem with a rude able-bodied passenger who refused to let me sit there cause she was saving seats.

Getting on and off the ship at ports was not difficult at all. Those ramps were a little steep but there were always crew members eager to help.

At the end of the cruise, when we were ready to debark, they allowed us to go the the Victoriana Lounge early before people started crowding the elevators and wait there until we were called to debark. That was a lot easier than trying to cram into an elevator with a lot of other people with luggage.

If anyone goes on this ship and does the 8 day Western trip that goes to Panama, if you are planning to take the Panama Canal Tour excursion, don't worry about accessibility. The bus drivers were very accomodating. 2 men in wheelchairs went on our part of the excursion (not sure how many were in the other group, if any). The ferry boats allow wheelchairs and walkers and rollators. The staff was very eager to help get on and off the ferry as well. They served food on the ferry and even told me everything that there was and asked what they could bring me (but my DH had already gotten in line to get me something).

This was our first trip with the rollator and I feel it was awesome. Didn't really run into any issues at all. Of course, we had no tender ports, so that was a big help.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I'll try to answer as much as I can. I'm back at work already, so bear with me if I don't answer real fast.

Did you notice if there were any lifts at the pools?? Thank you.

Archived