Question about securing items while swimming/snorkeling

snickerbilly

What do you guys do with your stuff (cash, cc's, passport, camera etc.) when at the beaches? We will be sailing on the Carnival Victory in May to multiple islands in the Southern Carribbean and would hate to get ripped off while snorkeling or swimming with my wife.

What do you guys do with your stuff (cash, cc's, passport, camera etc.) when at the beaches? We will be sailing on the Carnival Victory in May to multiple islands in the Southern Carribbean and would hate to get ripped off while snorkeling or swimming with my wife.

I keep all my valuables ($$, credit card, id...etc) around my neck in a waterproof pouch. Towel, flip flops, cover-up...etc..stays on the beach because no one wants that.

If you are traveling with several people, you guys can take turns watching each other stuff too, but I still keep anything important on me anyway just in case they decide to go use the restroom or something and I'm in the water.

The difficulty is the camera. Either you need enough people to take turns watching stuff like that, or leave it on the ship. Sometimes there are lockers available, but I don't know if they are always trustworthy.

Yeah, the camera can be tough...For beach days, we usually take the cheapest digital one that we have off the ship with no pictures on it from other days or a waterproof disposable one with us. If it got swiped we would be disappointed somewhat for the pictures we lost from that day only, but it doesn't have much monetary value.

We always have one person watching the camera.......or sometimes we just buy the cheap waterproof ones........we only bring our drivers license, sail and sign cards a credit card and cash on shore which all fit nicely in dh's board shorts pocket.......all are waterproof

You can also invest in a portable safe (beach safe). The one we have is made by PacSafe but they come in a different sizes. It has a steel mesh woven into the bag with a steel cable and padlock to secure it. If the DW and I want to snorkel or swim together we put our valuables in it and then wrap the steel cable around either a tree or the lounger.

Here is a link to Amazon for the one we have:

http://www.amazon.com/Pacsafe-Travelsafe-Anti-Theft-Portable-Black/dp/B0018BQGSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295981869&sr=8-1

Now that we have a very small waterproof camera, life is easier. It also is shock resistent and no sand gets in it. I have a small waterproof case that goes around my waist that I put room key and money in. The money seems to get a little wet, but to date no one has refused any.I don't believe I have to have my passport. Never have carried it. I have a life jacket for camera that goes around my arm, so don't have to worry about dropping it. Those cameras sink fast.

Archived