Kilt for formal nights??

hilandlass

My husband ALWAYS takes his kilt, full regalia including his plaid, and takes his trews too for a different formal night. One word of warning though, skean dhu, take a dummy one. Even although you can pack it in your hold luggage on the plane, when it goes thru x ray to board ship your case will get opened (ehhh dagger on board!).. know it doesnt look as good, but take a dummy! My only problem is when he wears his kilt, I might as well be wearing a bin bag..invisible I become!!! Happy cruising!

ask him to wear his kilt!!! I love to wear mine on formal night... always get lots of compliments, and my wife loves it!!! here's a pic with me and a cruise buddy of mine...http://oldmedic.smugmug.com/Other/Bills-Kilt/10291219_K75bi#804777535_mhZYL-A-LB

It will not be a problem. I've worn my family tartan to the formal dinners and had a pleasant evening meeting many new folks I may not otherwise have had the pleasure. To avoid concerns of any passengers I did omit the sgian dubh. Choice is yours.

Cheers!

We are Scots going on our 1st ever cruise :eek: (Victory from Barbados 9th March 2011). I'm picking up some great tips from CC boards but would like some advice....Should I pack DH's Kilt for formal nights? :confused: Would it pass for formal dress? Would he be rediculed for wearing a 'skirt'??

I think a man in full regalia looks much more elegant/formal than a man in a tux! Tell him to go for it, he will look amazing!

ask him to wear his kilt!!! I love to wear mine on formal night... always get lots of compliments, and my wife loves it!!! here's a pic with me and a cruise buddy of mine...http://oldmedic.smugmug.com/Other/Bills-Kilt/10291219_K75bi#804777535_mhZYL-A-LB

You look quit smart in your kilt....most ace.

Actually, next year my husband wont steal the show. We are having a renewal of vows ceremony THIS year (before the cruise), and I am wearing a full length white linen formal dress, but matching my husband. My sister in law hand makes all our families kilts and plaids. She is making my plaid for my dress, and I am having custom made satin shoes trimmed with our tartan (Gordon). This post has made me think....on the cruise, THIS time.. I yes ME..can steal the Highland Show:D I am going to wear MY tartans for formal night. I never thought about it, but yeah..my ROV ceremony dress will be just perfect for a formal night in the Caribbean..

Move over my husband;) Tartan Girl Power:D

Actually, next year my husband wont steal the show. We are having a renewal of vows ceremony THIS year (before the cruise), and I am wearing a full length white linen formal dress, but matching my husband. My sister in law hand makes all our families kilts and plaids. She is making my plaid for my dress, and I am having custom made satin shoes trimmed with our tartan (Gordon). This post has made me think....on the cruise, THIS time.. I yes ME..can steal the Highland Show:D I am going to wear MY tartans for formal night. I never thought about it, but yeah..my ROV ceremony dress will be just perfect for a formal night in the Caribbean..

Move over my husband;) Tartan Girl Power:D

you go girl!!! I am sure you'll will steal the show!!!! everyone will wish they were sitting at your table !!!

One word of warning though, skean dhu, take a dummy one. Even although you can pack it in your hold luggage on the plane, when it goes thru x ray to board ship your case will get opened (ehhh dagger on board!).. know it doesnt look as good, but take a dummy!

Blondie, I was going to mention this too. That would put a major damper on the start of your cruise, getting called to the naughty room about trying to bring a dagger on board! Yikes!

Congrats on your renewals as well! Please post pictures when you return, I would love to see your gown. :D

I am very excited about our vow renewals ceremony, my sister in law is so wonderful making my plaid. She hand threads and plaits every little tassle, and all of the mens kilts are hand stitched. I didnt want to look to "bridal" and as its in the Caribbean, wanted a dress simple and light. My husband is wearing his casual highland outfit, which is a white linen rob roy short, with kilt and plaid, so my dress is plain white linen, but beautifully cut, with my plaid in a rosette at the shoulder going full length down my back. I didnt think about wearing it again for the cruise until this post... but YUP..for sure I will!!! The shoes though :D LOVE LOVE LOVE them, be clicking my tartan heels for sure on board :-)

Archived