Anyone done Cozumel excursion "Shore Snorkel for Beginners" ?

idreaminpink

We are considering booking this excursion on our upcoming Conquest trip but will have our DD5 with us. (This is the excursion takes place at Sunset Beach in Cozumel.) She has taken swimming lessons but can't swim independently without a life jacket yet. She's not afraid of the water or anything and does well with a jacket.

If you have taken this excursion can you tell me whether it would be appropriate for her, or does she need to be a pretty strong swimmer first? The minimum age is 5. In this picture from Carnival they are wearing some kind of safety/emergency vest, but it doesn't appear to be a flotation device (too thin?) so I'm just unclear. Thanks in advance!

304124_M.jpg

We have not done this excursion; however, we make it a point to snorkle in atleast one port each cruise.

The "life vest" in the pictures are very similar to the ones that the guides give you. You can inflate the vest (by blowing in the tube on the vest) to your liking that will allow you to float. I have seen little kids with these on. In the Bahamas last year we snorkled but the water was too rough for me (I kept getting a mouth full of water through my snorkle tube) so I opted to just "hang out" and I was able to just bob in the water with no problems.

I hope this gives you an idea. If she is an good swimmer you should have any problems. But if she is weak swimmer I would think it over.

Those were the same vests they offered on our stingray/snorkle excursion in GC, they do inflate and our 8 year old used one as he is ok in a pool or where he can touch the bottom but the open ocean was a little intimidating for him, our 10 year old on the other hand was the first to jump off the boat, no vest (very strong swimmer) snuck benind our backs while we were putting on our flippers, we looked everywhere and a slight panic was starting to set in until one of the crew asked if we were looking for the brown hair little boy, he pointed out about 15 feet said 'there he is, he jumped right in Ive been watching him' (of course he got a talking to about waiting for us ;))There were smaller kids with vests snorkeling and all of them were doing great and the sea was slightly choppy that day.

Ok that makes me feel a little better, if they're inflatable that explains why they look "flat" lol. It's a shore snorkel so I don't think we'd go out that far? Still contemplating it. If anyone else has done this one let me know, am now wondering how far out you snorkel. Like would I still be able to touch bottom, just not her, or would we go out farther than that. Thanks!!

If you get all your answers and if it is a go, try teaching her to snorkle (before taking that trip) in the bathtub or a pool or whatever facility is available with snorkle lessons to get her used to it before you go.

Just a thought...

DH & I did this exact excursion when we took our Conquest cruise back in October. There is a good amount of swimming. But, the guide did have a ....... (Sorry, drawing a blank here on the it's called), sort of a 'floatie' that he held onto & those that had difficulty swimming could hold onto it & he 'pulled' them along.

We did this excursion with our then 7 year old. He's a pretty stong swimmer, and had the life vest on. Towards the end of the excursion, he did hand on the floatie that the guide was using, just because he was getting tired. We went out probably 30-40 feet from shore and then back. Our son had a fantastic time. The guides are absolutely fantastic!

OP, we did this excursion on our Legend cruise last Oct. Your son should be fine. They will separate you into groups of 4-5 depending on your skill level. For those that needed extra attention, they will assign you a guide. You son will have on a floatation vest and fins and will hold on to a buoy and rope while being pulled around by the guide. The guide will give instruction on how to use the snorkel and face mask. You can have as much or as little time in the water as you choose. We really enjoyed this excursion and were very happy with the clean facilitites and friendliness of the guides and employees at the snorkel location. They have large lockers for your personal belongings for $2 USD. There is also a small beach side bar and grill. (they have a child's menu) There is a small gift shop as well as beach massages for a very resonable price.

You can also stay on the beach for as long as you like and the snorkel shop will hail your family a taxi to take you back to the port area.( taxis to and from the beach are incl in the exc price) For the great price of this excursion, I would not hesitate to give it a try. There were many children as well as older folks and new snorkelers in our group. They really take their time with you to ensure that you learn the correct way and have a great time. As long as your son is comfortable holding onto the rope and putting his face down in the water, he should be just fine. They also take pictures of you while in the water and you have an opportunity to purchase these after the excursion. They were priced very fair at $12 USD for an 8x10.

Have a great time. :)

I am SOOOOO glad you asked this question, OP. Anyone who as done this excursion: If we dock in Puerta Maya (Carnival's), where is Sunset beach from there? Did you really have to taxi? I want to shore snorkel (without excursion) with my DD5 and then take taxi to Paradise Beach. If I leave the Carnival pier, do we walk North just past the International Pier? Is it right next to International? I am trying to appease both teens and my daughter, hence the two locations in one day.

Thanks in advance!!! Thanks OP.

I am wondering the same thing. I want to do this with my daughter but DH doesn't want to snorkel, yet would like to just wait on the beach for us. I was wondering if he could not buy the excursion but just pay for his own taxi and meet us or something. Wish I was more familiar with the port. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I am wondering the same thing. I want to do this with my daughter but DH doesn't want to snorkel, yet would like to just wait on the beach for us. I was wondering if he could not buy the excursion but just pay for his own taxi and meet us or something. Wish I was more familiar with the port. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I'm not sure about this as Two guides from the excursion met us all at the pier area and led us all to the taxi area where he split us up into groups and then paid for the taxis. Taxi fare is included in the price of the excursion.

Sunset beach is a small private beach area that the dive shop uses for a variety of their water sports excursions. It is about a 5-10 minute ride from the Puerta Maya pier. You can actually see the Cruse ships from the beach area. The excursion was only $23.95 pp, so I would imagine that one could just pay and then use the taxi service and just lay on the beach. There is a beach front bar and grill area as well as a gift shop, clean restrooms and showers, locker rental and beach massages too.

• 1 year later...

We just did this excursion a few days ago off the Carnival Paradise. Well worth $29.99 a person. No children that day. They did swim us hard. I am 63 and managed to keep up but tired. After guided part we had lunch. Great burritos!! Dh did not go back in snorkeling with us (son 39 and granddaughter 21). He did swim. We went out on our own for several hours. It was amazing! Lots of fish. We saw a morey eel and a sting ray, they were afraid of us. No problem.

Water is 10 feet deep at least. Was pretty rough that day. But we loved it.

Important.... put sunblock on the back of your legs. That is where we burned. Also on back, head if bald and neck.

If you want your picture buy it right away. They were gone when we got out of the water. Snorkeling people were all gone but taxi guys waiting for us.

It is a very tiny sand area and a few chairs. We stayed in the water except to eat. Dh sat at the bar. Great music.

We would absolutely do it again. So much more snorkeling time than with others.

Enjoy!!!!!

We just did this excursion a few days ago off the Carnival Paradise. Well worth $29.99 a person. No children that day. They did swim us hard. I am 63 and managed to keep up but tired. After guided part we had lunch. Great burritos!! Dh did not go back in snorkeling with us (son 39 and granddaughter 21). He did swim. We went out on our own for several hours. It was amazing! Lots of fish. We saw a morey eel and a sting ray, they were afraid of us. No problem.

Water is 10 feet deep at least. Was pretty rough that day. But we loved it.

Important.... put sunblock on the back of your legs. That is where we burned. Also on back, head if bald and neck.

If you want your picture buy it right away. They were gone when we got out of the water. Snorkeling people were all gone but taxi guys waiting for us.

It is a very tiny sand area and a few chairs. We stayed in the water except to eat. Dh sat at the bar. Great music.

We would absolutely do it again. So much more snorkeling time than with others.

Enjoy!!!!!

We were in Coz on the 7th of March. Our guide's name was Johnathon. He was so patient with me that I gave him a nice tip! I would go back any day any time! We even saw a small nurse shark!

I am SOOOOO glad you asked this question, OP. Anyone who as done this excursion: If we dock in Puerta Maya (Carnival's), where is Sunset beach from there? Did you really have to taxi? I want to shore snorkel (without excursion) with my DD5 and then take taxi to Paradise Beach. If I leave the Carnival pier, do we walk North just past the International Pier? Is it right next to International? I am trying to appease both teens and my daughter, hence the two locations in one day.

Thanks in advance!!! Thanks OP.

Taxi to the Money Bar (about $10-12) where there is great snorkeling right from the shore, a sandy area for sunning and relaxing, and good food and drinks! :D You can rent gear there if you don't have everything you need; bring some water shoes to help when climbing out via the steps. :cool: Stay there for the day or catch a cab to PB when you've had enough snorkeling. Good luck! :)

Archived