Dan Hodge

wjf

We recently returned from a wonderful trip on the Legend from FL to Caldera and had a good time with Dan Hodge the cruise director.

We have just heard that he was dismissed after the cruise which, if true, is a great shock.

Does anybody have any further news?

Miss Martita - I am shocked as well. Dan was the CD when I was on Legend over the holidays. His wife and son were onboard as well. I had an email from Irene (his wife) about a week to 10 days ago telling me that Dan would be home on vacation Feb 27th. His termination must have been a shock to many-including his family.........

A friend of mine is onboard Legend now as a guest entertainer. I'll be emailing him to see what happened..............

Claudia

This is a real loss for Seabourn. Hodge was a marvelous part of the Seabourn family. I remember him even before he became CD, when he was a (mere) pianist in The Club. I vividly recall a Christmas show a number of years ago in which his son played a charming part. Hodge is a quality person. Why would Seabourn have let him go?

Dan was my first ever CD on Seabourn. This was in the Amazon and his wife Irene and son Geoffrey were with him. Geoffrey had been given special leave from his school to be there during term (semester?) as it would be educational. Geoffrey asked for some of my photos and I gave him some on CD (the other kind). He later sent me a note that he had used some for a school project. The following year I just missed seeing Irene when she disembarked the Legend and I boarded the Pride at Port Everglades on the same day. She had to leave for the airport earlier than I could get to the port but got Dan to give me an Amazonian Explorer t-shirt which I really treasure.

I am really shocked and saddened at the news and hope that it is not too serious although it sounds like it is. If you do find out any more, please send me a private email as I don't think it would be right to post it here. I would like to email Dan and Irene but at the moment it's difficult to know what to say.

It is heartening to see that so many of you have wonderful memories of sailing with Dan. I never got to know him, but he obviously touched a lot of people in a positive way, and no doubt will continue to do so.

There are a lot of reasons why people part ways with companies and vice-versa. It doesn't seem likely to me that the parting was cruel or random. It's hard for any of us to understand what it must be like to live and work with a team in such close proximity 24/7, month after month. I heard a saying once that "A ship is a VERY small town!"

Quite often, in my experience, these things work out for the best.

(Here endeth the sermon ;->)

bgood

To Everyone who loves and loved Seabourn,

In spite of everything you may have heard or wished you heard, Seabourn not offering me another contract wasn't as much of a surpise as you might think. But as Bruce Good said, everything happens for a reason.

The parting has been amicable. For three years I had been trying to modify my own schedule to allow for Summer at home with my son Geoffrey. Little or no allowance for that was made in the entire three years.

I was offered a contract by a competitor some 36 hours after my arrival home in Vancouver and will be at sea again in early April.

My ten years with Seabourn have witnessed a lot of changes to the product, the clientelle, the philosophy and especially the loyalty. Some for the good, others not.

I will miss everyone on Seabourn very much, especially Captains Karlo and G-A, Scottie Douglas, Marla Sanders, Simon Davey and too many more to name here. Some of my fondest memories will be of time spent with so many warm, fun loving and caring guests who took me and my family into their hearts. I remember each and every Rock and Roll show from the first in 1995 with David E. and Jan Stearman. I'll miss the little office in San Francisco, when we knew everyone by name. And I'll miss the warm notes and letters my wife and I have received over the years from our loyal friends.

I remember a serious converstion back in early 2001 with Eric Sanderson, then Stage Manager on the Pride, asking me not to become Cruise Director saying, "There are a lot more ex-Cruise Directors than ex-Club Entertainers". But if I hadn't accepted the challenge, I would have quickly lost interest in cruising.

Love to all, Keep Cruising,

Daniel K. Hodge

yet another ex-Cruise Director

Dan~~~I wish you every continued success.......as we all know, "when one door closes, there is always one that is opening wide for us!"

You will enjoy your much needed and deserved vacation with your family, then on to a brand new adventure!

I enjoyed sailing with you several years ago.......with David E. and Jan Stearman. In the Caribbean, I believe. We made happy memories.

Amigos Para Siempre, Dan and God's speed!

Miss Martha B.

Dan - If you saw my post above, I was stunned when I heard the news. It was wonderful meeting you, Irene, and the delightful Geoffrey this past Christmas. It was my first time on Seabourn and you made me feel very welcome! I hope you will share with us for whom you will be sailing next.......Please give my best to Irene and Geoffrey..........

Claudia

We are so disappointed to hear that yet again Seabourn has made a sad choice. As you say, the clientele has changed drastically, but we remain loyal to Seabourn. We wish you only the best. It was so wonderful spending time with you, Dan, especially in the Club. You always extended yourself far beyond your responsibilities. We have loved being onboard with you from the very beginning of your Seabourn career. Champagne wishes, caviar dreams, and happy cruising wherever you sail! (Let us all know the "competitors" please.) Donna & Jerry (Your Seabourn Ambassadors)

Dan, thanks so much for the update. I hope your future holds only good things and maybe someday a return to Seabourn on your own terms. You and your team absolutely 'made' my first Seabourn experience magnificent and I will never forget it.

Cruisecrazyone and Dan, I noted your comment on how the clientele has changed...perhaps you could provide a bit more info on the nature of the changes ?

Dan's generous message above is yet further evidence of the great qualities of this gentleman. I have great admiration for someone who understands that family comes before career.

I am certain that Dan cannot post the name of his new line on these boards. But if someone *else* knows and is willing to post, I would be grateful to know. I'll bet it isn't Carnival!

I, too, would like clarification on the "drastic" change in guests. We just returned from 13 days on Pride (Rio-Manaus) and found passengers to be as we have always enjoyed on Seabourn: very well-traveled, well-educated, sociable and interesting. We made many new friends and joined several old friends, one who started in Fort Lauderdale and is continuing on to Lisbon! And it always such a pleasure to see old friends of the staff and be greeted, as Seabourn does so well, as part of its family.

So, please explain the changes you have seen.

I would take exception to the statement of "clientelle" changes. We have found it to be the same as always. Our friends just returned from two weeks on the spirit...were overwhelmed by the very special people aboard...staff as well as psgrs. They are well traveled and just couldn't say enough in praise. We had recommended SB to them, so were delighted that they had such a special experience. When we are on the Legend in April..it will be just over 4 trips for us in a little over a year...3 on SB and 1 on Silverseas. The latter is the one that has changed. We wil never go that route again. SB maintains it's high...let's make certain it stays that way.

We have been away for a few days and when I checked my Seabourn site I was more than stunned to hear Dan was no longer with Seabourn. He was by far the best CD we've ever experienced in all our cruising .. he made us feel special from the moment we stepped on the Legend and we have such wonderful memories of dinners at his table and rousing Trivia - great tunes in the Club - he learned the verse to our favorite song to sing to us while we danced on the last night of our cruise. Whatever cruise line Dan is going to, is very very lucky to have him and he sure will be a hard act to follow on the Legend.

Dan, if you read this - we wish you well in whatever you do - and we hope to cruise with you again. !!

Wanted to add our best wishes to Dan in his new seagoing position whatever that may be. Hope to hear which cruiseline had the good sense to offer him a position. We enjoyed sailing with Dan on our last two Seabourn trips, on the LEGEND ( Caribbean) and the PRIDE ( Norway ), we thought he, Paul and Jan made a very good team. We had dinner on each trip with Dan and enjoyed his company and also his Rock and Roll shows, very much.

Know you will be reading the postings on this board Dan, hope will sail together again in the future. By the way Dan, we did know the Liar.Liar, answer to the question, "What is a bubbly Jock" ?

The Mercers

Archived