First Time Cruising with a 2 year old

JenPett

Hi,

This is my first time posting on this message board. I hope to get some advice from those who are more familiar with crusing than I am!

My husband and I are planning our first cruise for this summer with our (will be) 2 year old son. We have decided on where we want to go (Canada/New England), but we haven't picked a cruise line yet.

We are looking at Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I have been researching and have found pros and cons to each. We both really like RC itinerary (it's 9 nights stopping in Maine, Canada, and Boston), Carnival only goes to Canada (it's 5 nights). I understand that RC does not have a "camp" program for my 2 year old and Carnival does.

My initial questions are: 1. Do we take the cruise based on itinerary alone? 2. If we do, will there be enough "stuff" for us to do as a family onboard or will my son be excluded from "big kid" activities? 3. Is it hard to acquire babysitting services aboard RC? Is that something that we need to do prior to the cruise or while onboard? 4. Has anyone taken part in the parent-child programs aboard RC? Are they worthwhile? 5. Is the children's room ever open for "free play"?

My hopes are to spend as much time as we can as a family. We leave our son at daycare everyday...I'm not looking for another daycare when I go on vacation (though a few hours would be nice to either go to the spa or have a nice dinner!)

Sorry for such a long-winded first post...we certainly have a lot to think about!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

JenPett

Whether you cruise for itinerary or the ship is up to you. If you've been dying to see New England and those ports, then cruise for the itinerary.

If you're not that interested in the ports, then pick the ship that best suits you.

You're right...under 3 on most RCI ships won't have any "kid's program". Babysitting is usually available...make arrangements AS SOON AS YOU BOARD!!! That way, you can have an "adult dinner" or a night out. Babysitting isn't usually avail. during the daytime.

They will have some "mommy and me" time (or "daddy and me!!!") avail. where you can use the playroom and toys.

For a 2 year old, whatever "entertaining" you do at home, you'll be doing on the ship. Most small kids love the shows at night...music, lights, color.... and during the day, you'll be off the ship, exploring!

We crusied Carnival a few weeks ago (our first cruise ever) with our 4yo and our 15mo old. Carnival was great since they had the babysitting for our 15mo old (morning time only or REALLY late night). Anyway, our 4yo couldn't get enough of Camp Carnival. She LOVED IT! We really wanted to go on RCCL initially since they say they have in room sitting, but eveyone I talked to said it was based upon availability and some people I know even said they got on the ship only to find out it wasn't available. So, we didn't want to take the chance. Anyway...just know if your little one goes to bed early you won't enjoy much nightlife. Our kids were in bed most night around 8 and we just hung out on the balcony.

It was the EASIEST family vacation we have ever taken and can't wait to go again!

Archived