Anchorage to Whittier Train?

Fyrefly

Hello everyone,

First off let me say its a bit confusing because I'm the nerd doing all the research but my parents are the ones paying for the trip, so they are now the one in contact with the TA that I got to.

She said that if we stay in the Hotel Captain Cook, Princess will pick us up and take us to the port, take care of luggage and stuff.

I was under the impression there was this cool railroad that goes through a wildlife preserve and was really pretty. And now she says the transfer is a bus ride, which seems considerably less fun. And you can't get off the ship once you're checked in, so my thought of possibly dropping off our bags early, then doing a boat tour of Prince William Sound, then getting back on the ship seems impossible.

Can someone explain the actual transfer process? Is the train for something else? Is there generally a way to take it or am I just confused from seeing so much stuff? Is the bus ride scenic at all or am I going to need to break out my stack of books? Also how long is the bus ride? We're leaving port at 8:30, and what time do these busses/trains/whatever leave and get you there?

Sorry for all the questions but I've combed Princess' page for info on these stupid transfers and I can't find a thing.

I can answer part of your questions from general knowledge...if you post on the Alaska Port of Call section, you will get many responses based on experience of actually taking all the modes of transfer from Anchorage to Whittier.

First of all, we frequently (4 our of 5 Princess cruises) get checked in on the ship and then get back off on embarkation day. So I wonder if your TA has even ever tried it.

I'm pretty sure there is a Princess transfer by train, but it's up to others to confirm that.

But you can book your own transport on the Alaska Railroad http://alaskarailroad.com/Reservations/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

and be there in time to take a PWS excursion. I'm including this link http://www.26glaciers.com/rates.htm to show that although the timing appears tight, the excursion companies work with the railroad.

Others who have done this can explain how the luggage deal works, but I know it is doable.

I'm not sure what wildlife preserve you may be talking about, but you definitely have the chance to see animals, and of course beautiful scenery. No matter how you get to Whittier (train, bus, rental car) you follow the same route.

You have a difficult job, that of being the "information sorter." Been there, done that, still doing that!

We took the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Whittier in August 2009. We booked it ourselves and our train car seemed nicer/roomier than the Princess cars.

We stayed at the Dimond Center Hotel and they had a shuttle that drove us to the train station. We checked our bags outside the station and didn't deal with them again until they showed up in our cabins.

The train ride was very scenic and the train even stopped a couple of times to point out Dall sheep on the mountains (hills?) and a bear cub playing in Turnagin Arm.

When we got to Whittier, we checked in, boarded, dropped our carry-ons in our cabins, got some food, then got back off the ship to see if we could find a forgotten item in town. They told us to be sure we were back by a certain time (can't remember now what it was) but definitely not a problem to get back off.

Things change constantly in cruising - I would advise that you confirm what is presently the case.

Having said that, our experience (going from Whittier to Anchorage) was:

1. The standard transfer was by bus - the train cost extra. We took the train.

2. The train and bus travel essentially parallel routes. The train does, as I recall, run closer to the water in the section along Turnagain Arm (where we saw a grizzly on the beach), so the views are better. Almost all of Alaska is beautiful, but I don't remember this run as being anything extraordinary - especially compared to the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

3. The Cook Hotel is indeed Princess's jumping off or dumping off spot (depending on which direction you go).

Most of the way the train tracks and the road are very close together. Either is fine but you can walk around on the train.

This past cruise season you could get off the ship once you boarded, but no idea what the rule will be for this season. There is not much to the town of Whittier at all.

The Captain Cook is a fine hotel, but the cruise passengers don't get the best rooms. Telephone the hotel if you have questions about that. They have a toll free number.

Much of the route of the train/bus goes through land that is not available for commerical development. The animals are free to come and go as they please. I adore Turnagain Arm, but many cruise passengers are so tired that they sleep through it (both bus and train).

Hello everyone,

I was under the impression there was this cool railroad that goes through a wildlife preserve and was really pretty. And now she says the transfer is a bus ride, which seems considerably less fun. And you can't get off the ship once you're checked in, so my thought of possibly dropping off our bags early, then doing a boat tour of Prince William Sound, then getting back on the ship seems impossible.

Sorry for all the questions but I've combed Princess' page for info on these stupid transfers and I can't find a thing.

Maybe I can help a little. The train and road follow the same path pretty exact until after the Girdwood/ski area where the Whittier route turns off. Going to Seward, it then leaves the road path and the train goes up into the mountain passes, past glaciers and lakes, then back down near the road almost to Seward. They are two different trains/routes, though they share the first portion. All of it was remarkable, but the really WOW!! was after where the Whittier train peeled off.

The Wildlife preserve might be the private rehab park there near the turn off to Whittier. It is a drive through, get out and see the animals place. It does good work, cares for injured/lost/orphaned animals and provides decent area/accommodations for them. You can get up close and personal viewing wise.

Many plan getting into Whittier early to do the PWS cruise. I noticed some of the companies offer a package that includes the transportation to Whittier and I would feel safe that they knew their time schedules. You could then drop hassle and the cost of your Princess transfer and get what you wanted.

We spent time in Seward that AM at Exit Glacier and arrived later by van, just boarding in the rain.

Your nerd power will pay off with the trip you want. I kept a notebook of random bits of info. I'd find researching, under where I found it, so I could weed and re-check. WE fit in a lot of what I'd found, but it took some fine tuning and crosschecking.

Wowsmom, you said "We checked our bags outside the station and didn't deal with them again until they showed up in our cabins." Does this mean that Princess takes your bags at the train station? Wow! That would be awesome. I am planning our own land portion prior to the cruise, and was wondering how to handle the bags AND do the PWS tour. Thanks.

If you have booked the Cook through Princess this should include a transfer to the ship on a motorcoach with an option at additional cost to take the train. (double check to make sure)

With either option. Princess will pick you up at the airport the previous day and drive you to the Cook. The Host/Hostess will give you room keys, luggage tags & instructions on what to do with your luggage and where to meet for your transfer.

In the morning (likely very early) the hotel's bell staff will pick up your luggage and you will find it in your cabin that afternoon. (thus be prepared with a carry on you can stick your PJ's and toothbrush into) Latter you will get on a coach to Whittier or a coach to the train station (it is almost close enough to walk)

Both routes are almost identical & within spitting distance of each other. The corridor (train & hwy.) is a scenic byway.

Advantages of the coach are cost and speed.

Advantages of the train are slower pace, the ability to get up and move. I think also you can purchase drinks & snacks.

Once you have checked in, you have in past years, been able to get off the ship and wander around Whittier. It is a small town (~400 residence) but the boat harbor is picturesque and a stroll along the bike/multi use path back towards the tunnel can be lovely.

Neither the road or train go thorough a wildlife preserve but spotting, Bald Eagles is common, moose & Dall Sheep are somewhat common and bears & beluga whales occasional. The train with it's slower speed does give you a slight advantage in wild life spotting. The land you are traveling through is the Chugach State Park until a few miles past Girdwood. Then you will be in the Chugach National Forest.

Wowsmom, you said "We checked our bags outside the station and didn't deal with them again until they showed up in our cabins." Does this mean that Princess takes your bags at the train station? Wow! That would be awesome. I am planning our own land portion prior to the cruise, and was wondering how to handle the bags AND do the PWS tour. Thanks.

Yeap, they sure do. So you show up at the train station on the day you're suppose to go to Whittier (have your cruise tags on them), they'll be a section for handing in your bags, hand them over and then go inside and check in.

What happens is, that there is no way for all the cruise luggage to go on the train, so the bags you hand in are going to be put on a Princess truck and driven to Whittier. And then next thing you know it, they are either outside your cabin door or inside the room (all depends if your cabin steward moves them in or not).

Susan in Anchorage :)

We stayed at the Historic Anchorage Hotel, checked our luggage with Princess at the train station, took the train on our own from Anchorage to Whittier, and did Major Marine's Prince William Sound cruise before boarding the ship. It worked out perfectly. The train ride wasn't as interesting as we thought it would be. I enjoyed the train to Denali a lot better. Anyway, you can read details and see photos on my review:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/193/

Click on the Whittier post for all the train and PWS info.

• 3 months later...

I am quite confused... well I am first time cruiser. I called Princess and the agent (more than 1 coz I called them a few times) told me they have never heard of checking in lugguage at the Anchorage train station and the lugguage will show up in the cabins. Is it because you all have joined Princess cruise tour or booked the transfer and hotel via Princess? And that's why Princess provide this check-in-at-train-station option?

We will fly to Anchorage the day before, booked hotel in Anchorage and also bought the train tickets from Anchorage to Whittier all by ourselves. Originally we plan to check in at train station like you all suggested and then plan to go to Major Marine's Prince William Sound cruise as suggested by CruisingGoddness. But I cancel it because Princess agent told us we cannot check in at train station and the glacier cruise will not return till 630pm and most people said that's too late to check in at the Whittier port.

Please advice... we really want to go to the glacier cruise. We are flying out this Friday. Thank you very much.

I am quite confused... well I am first time cruiser. I called Princess and the agent (more than 1 coz I called them a few times) told me they have never heard of checking in lugguage at the Anchorage train station and the lugguage will show up in the cabins. Is it because you all have joined Princess cruise tour or booked the transfer and hotel via Princess? And that's why Princess provide this check-in-at-train-station option?

We will fly to Anchorage the day before, booked hotel in Anchorage and also bought the train tickets from Anchorage to Whittier all by ourselves. Originally we plan to check in at train station like you all suggested and then plan to go to Major Marine's Prince William Sound cruise as suggested by CruisingGoddness. But I cancel it because Princess agent told us we cannot check in at train station and the glacier cruise will not return till 630pm and most people said that's too late to check in at the Whittier port.

Please advice... we really want to go to the glacier cruise. We are flying out this Friday. Thank you very much.

I didn't book the cruisetour nor Princess transfers. I booked the Anchorage to Whittier train tickets on my own through Alaska Railroad's web site. Despite what Princess agents told you, I definitely checked my luggage at the Anchorage station and they arrived in my stateroom when I boarded the ship after the glacier cruise. This is all true for last year. I would think it is the same as this year but I can't guarantee it.

Worse case scenario, if Princess refuses to take your luggage, check your luggage with Alaska Railroad and once in Whittier, take it to the office of your glacier cruise. Major Marine told me they would be willing to store it, if needed. But I'm pretty sure you won't have any problems. :)

Also, I'll further confirm that I did the glacier cruise and checked into the cruise without any problems. The All Aboard for our cruise was 8 pm. If that time hasn't changed, then you should be fine. Go into your Cruise Personalizer and the itinerary for your cruise. It should say the cut off time for check-in there.

Sorry I'm so late in answering :eek: but yes, that's what I meant - we checked our bags with Princess outside the train station and only had to deal with our carryons on the train. Our suitcases showed up in our cabins mid-afternoon.

I didn't book the cruisetour nor Princess transfers. I booked the Anchorage to Whittier train tickets on my own through Alaska Railroad's web site. Despite what Princess agents told you, I definitely checked my luggage at the Anchorage station and they arrived in my stateroom when I boarded the ship after the glacier cruise. This is all true for last year. I would think it is the same as this year but I can't guarantee it.

Same here. We booked the train ourselves - no Princess tours or transfers. When we got to the train station, they had an area set up outside and they called us over. We told them we hadn't booked with Princess and they said no problem, they were collecting all luggage bound for Whittier and putting it on a truck to get to the ship.

Archived