Cinque Terre with Asthma?

momva

Next summer, we will be traveling with extended family, including my parents who are in the their 70s. They have asthma but otherwise have no mobility problems. Dad really wants to see Cinque Terre but is concerned. I realize one man's stenuous is another man's easy but if anyone can help us figure out if it could work, I would appreciate it. One thought, if possible, would be to pick up a ferry and just stay on it to all the towns?

I was in Cinque Terre a few months ago and one member of our group was in a wheelchair, while another at 400+ lbs. had mobility issues. Both were able to enjoy the area, just not in the same way as those who hiked.

You can visit the towns from the water, by ferry, or on land using the local train. We arrived by boat, then switched to train to commute between towns.

Your parents should be fine. The distances between the train stations and the rest of the town is, in most cases, quite small. There are plenty of places to stop and catch one's breath, if necessary.

We visited Cinque Terre just the past July and booked the excursion through NCL. It is beautiful. My parents who are also in their mid-70's joined us. They don't have asthma or any other physical issues, but I was still a little nervous about booking this excursion because I really did not know how much walking was involved. My parents were fine. You really don't walk the entire time. When the bus drops off at the top of the second village, you have to walk down to the "lover's path" which runs along the cliffs the whole way from one village to another. However, you will not walk the entire path -- just that portion of it that runs from the second village up to the first village where you will then get on a ferry boat to take you to the fourth village and then again on the ferry to the last village. It wasn't as strenuous as it sounded and definitely did not warrant a 3 on the activity rating. We had plenty of time to sit down and relax and enjoy the views. The only issue will be the heat, so make sure you bring a spray bottle of water with you. It helped a lot.

As I said, we booked our excursion through the ship. Are you going through the ship?

Thank you both for your responses. I will share the information with my folks. We will probably go through the ship - HAL. The tour sounds similar to the one you took. I also thought about a private tour company but wasn't sure it would be worth it.

Next summer, we will be traveling with extended family, including my parents who are in the their 70s. They have asthma but otherwise have no mobility problems. Dad really wants to see Cinque Terre but is concerned. I realize one man's stenuous is another man's easy but if anyone can help us figure out if it could work, I would appreciate it. One thought, if possible, would be to pick up a ferry and just stay on it to all the towns?

We loved Cinque Terre. If you walk a part of it, the easiest part is between Riomaggiore and Maranola. The trail is paved and spectacular. The cruise ship tours we encountered were walking that section.

Here are some photos of the two cities and the trail between them.

2861249120096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

2799486600096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

2937714340096454513S600x600Q85.jpg

I was in Cinque Terre a few months ago and one member of our group was in a wheelchair, while another at 400+ lbs. had mobility issues. Both were able to enjoy the area, just not in the same way as those who hiked.

You can visit the towns from the water, by ferry, or on land using the local train. We arrived by boat, then switched to train to commute between towns.

Your parents should be fine. The distances between the train stations and the rest of the town is, in most cases, quite small. There are plenty of places to stop and catch one's breath, if necessary.

If you don't book thru the cruise ship excursions desk can anyone suggest a tour company or the route to travel to Cinque Terra and back to Florence?

Any help with be greatly appreciated - Thank You

Diane and Roy

If you don't book thru the cruise ship excursions desk can anyone suggest a tour company or the route to travel to Cinque Terra and back to Florence?

Sorry, I can't suggest a guide, but the area is easily visited without one.

From Florence, you'd take the train to LaSpezia, and change there for the local train through the villages. Be forewarned, however, that it's a 2 1/2 - 3 hour train ride, each way, from Florence.

Archived