First-time cruisers review! Triumph 1/22/11 - 1/27/11

lemondog

Hey everyone! We just got back from our first ever cruise. We did the 5-day Western Caribbean on the Triumph out of New Orleans. Just a few observations from a newbie.

1.From reading some of the comments on these boards you would think Carnival is bottom-of-the-barrel. Well we are two upper middle class 30-somethings that are here to say that is just not true! I loved the diversity of people on the ship...you had everything from kids, to elderly people, to young couples to people our age to...well...for lack of anything nicer to say we'll just call them "rednecks afloat." However, everyone we met was incredibly nice and we were all there to have a good time.

2. Cabins were a very nice size, with plenty of storage. DH and I were both really shocked at how much room we had.

3. We are just fine with "steerage." We had a 2nd floor, 4B interior stateroom. We joked all week that we were in steerage and had to row one 6-hour shift a day. But seriously...we were perfectly happy down there! I didn't miss having a window, and for the price...well I would rather have extra money to drink than a cabin with a window!

4. The sodas were plentiful! I am a Diet Coke addict. I drink a lot, and I drink it often. The soda sticker was definitely a great deal for me, and I felt like the glasses you received each time were more than sufficient in size. If you buy a Carnival mug they will fill that instead. Every time I asked for the whole can they were happy to oblige.

5. The food was average. I have had better. I was especially disappointed with the main dining room. I actually preferred the buffet. The chicken dishes were usually very well prepared, and you can't mess up a salad bar. Although I will say that breakfast in the main dining room was much better than on the buffet. Also, word of warning...a flat iron steak is nothing more than a glorified piece of roast. And they WAY, WAY overcook their beef. I asked for my steak medium rare, it came out WELL done. Twice. We did early dining in the Paris dining room and had a FABULOUS group at our table! They were all our age with similar age kids. We got along so well...one of the ladies said in all the cruises she has taken this was by far the best group. I guess we were really lucky!

6. The alcohol prices were more than fair. I like a vodka tonic, and my Skyy and tonic w/ lime was only $5. Not bad. Even the fancy fruity drinks with umbrellas were never more than $9 each. Trust me, around here you would pay $12+ for that kind of stuff.

7. The entertainment was so-so. Although Love & Marriage was hysterical! And DH and I both won a coveted ship on a stick playing trivia games at the world's bar. They were fun.

8. Progresso is a 1-time kind of port for me. BTDT...if we ever go back we'll either do a ruins tour, or stay on the boat. Cozumel was nice. We went to Nachi Cocum which was nice, I would go there again in a hearbeat, but DH would rather go somewhere with more of a party scene. If you are going to souvenir shop definitely do it in Progresso...much cheaper!

9. I got a pedicure in the spa. Overpriced big time, as I am sure most of the spa services are. Plus the lady doing it kept trying to sell me these overpriced potions for all the problem areas she was spotting on my face and body. NICE.

10. Tex is a great CD...he reminds me a lot of Ryan Seacrest. Close your eyes when he is talking and I swear you cannot tell the difference.

Nice review. I will be going to the same ports, dif ship and we are going to book Nachi. How was the food there, did you eat? I am torn between Nachi and the Bar Hop. Both are well spoken of on CC.

I was very impressed with the food at Nachi. It was all fabulous! I ate everything and did not get sick, either -- lettuce, pico, etc. Also, I normally hate refried beans but theirs were actually delicious. Definitely the best food of our trip. The pina coladas are great too, haha!

Archived