Answers for those excited about Ketchikan

alaskandude

blue line bus to totem

I was looking at the bus map for the blue line to go to Totem Bight. For the southbound Blue Line route, does it not go all the way back to downtown? It looks like I have to transfer to the red line? is that correct ?

Also, how many hrs should i reserve for Totem bight park?

thank you !

Hi! Yes, the Blue Line goes all the way back downtown from Totem Bight. You don't have to transfer to the Red Line. You may have read a previous post where the riders were trying to get to the College on the way back from Totem Bight.

I would reserve 3 hours for Totem Bight. You have to consider it takes 30 minutes to get there and 30 minutes back. And for me, I love to go to both Totem Bight and Potlatch Park (literally located just beside each other) as Potlatch Park has an antique firearm & car museum along with a wonderful totem pole park where you can watch a native carver in the carving shed. So spending a couple hours there is no problem, you'll have plenty to look at.

Just be sure to watch your time! The return bus leaves Totem Bight at the quarter hour! :-)

Here's the bus schedule, if you don't have it already.

Enjoy!

Hi! Yes, the Blue Line goes all the way back downtown from Totem Bight. You don't have to transfer to the Red Line. You may have read a previous post where the riders were trying to get to the College on the way back from Totem Bight.

I would reserve 3 hours for Totem Bight. You have to consider it takes 30 minutes to get there and 30 minutes back. And for me, I love to go to both Totem Bight and Potlatch Park (literally located just beside each other) as Potlatch Park has an antique firearm & car museum along with a wonderful totem pole park where you can watch a native carver in the carving shed. So spending a couple hours there is no problem, you'll have plenty to look at.

Just be sure to watch your time! The return bus leaves Totem Bight at the quarter hour! :-)

Here's the bus schedule, if you don't have it already.

Enjoy!

thank you so much ! we'll really have to watch our time since the bus stops running pretty early on sunday !

I will be in Ketchikan on September 5th and salmon fishing with Northern Lights. There are two of us woman and going out at noon. We plan on getting of the Millenium early enough to get a few hours downtown before fishing, but looking for 2 others to book the whole boat. It holds six but I feel like our chances to catch fish are better with four. On a long ago fishing trip, it was crowded and another fisherman tangled up with the fish on my line and I lost it.

Barb

I don't have a lot of warm layers so rather than buy everything beforehand I'm planning on buying a fleece vest or something similar in port. We stop first in Ketchikan so I'm hoping to get something there rather than later in the trip. I would assume there will be several shops in Ketchikan - any recommendations for best selection and/or value?

TIA!

I don't have a lot of warm layers so rather than buy everything beforehand I'm planning on buying a fleece vest or something similar in port. We stop first in Ketchikan so I'm hoping to get something there rather than later in the trip. I would assume there will be several shops in Ketchikan - any recommendations for best selection and/or value?

Hi CMcG!! Sorry for the late response...

There are plenty of places to purchase warm layers - both selection & value.

I'd start at Tongass Trading Company, it's a huge brown building located in between Berth #2 & 3. Downstairs is all of the 'touristy' stuff - things with 'Alaska' stitched on it. There are plenty of warm jackets for $~20'ish and you can find them at Tongass Trading Company and several stores around town. If you can't find what you're looking for downstairs, head upstairs for a huge selection of high-quality, high price items.

A couple other places to try out that I like are The Mining Company - located across from Berth #1, and I can't remember the names but a couple of stores inside the Salmon Landing, also located directly across from Berth #1. You'll find that many of the stores sell similar items so if you find something you like, it probably won't be much less at the other stores.

And if you're looking for unique - try the Forget-me-Not sweater company just across the street from Whale Park (the Chief Kyan Totem Pole).

Of course - you could also check out Walmart! :-) There are free shuttles available - they pick up at the back corner of the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center. What you save in $$'s just might make up for what you spend in time to get there.

I hope that helped!

I have been looking for moose, caribou, elk burgers, steaks or stews. I am not having any luck. We are going to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria in May. Would you have any ideas?

There is 'usually' a walk-up stand located right on the dock at Berth#1 that sells all kinds of unique burgers/dogs called the Grizzly Grill. I won't know until the first ship if they're opening back up this season. Here's a photo of their sandwich board.

I hope that helps!

IMG_1680.jpg.0a20c6dc40b3cda445afe9767d5b06ca.jpg

Bringing my DH, Richard (Ramsfan) to SE Alaska for his first time, and have been really enjoying this thread and so many of your posts, bringing back fond memories...

A couple questions for you. What is the name of the biggish corner gift shop just a couple steps from Scanlon's Gallery...can see easily from the Dock area and in some of the Welcome sign photos.

Found a really cool crytal paperweight there a few years ago, with our previous ship (HAL Amsterdam) etched into it, great and classy souvenir.

Do they still have that little bakery or candy store with the covered Oreos?

Got a little 6 pack with white, milk and dark chocolate covered treats and it was so delish :D

Also, while reading up, noticed we should be in Ketchikan (May 28th), in time for a bit of the King Salmon Derby. Would truly love to find tee shirts, baseball caps or other small momentos of this worthy event...any idea where to purchase? I was thinking Tongass Trading, as one of the sponsers, and right on the dock, but any other ideas???

Thanks again, Renee....you rock!

AlaskaaBurgerQueenfreedeliveryshakesalot.jpg.75d68954e1bb184238189bf97884121b.jpg

AlaskaaJamminSalmonartworkRayTrollSohoCohoKetchikan.jpg.60ce1889ad0ee924bcc1d1a8e4ab5d24.jpg

AlaskaaKetchikanWalkupchowderhalibutshack.jpg.2387194982bdb77162cfde15019c18b5.jpg

AlaskaaKetchikanRayTrollArtatSohoCohoCreekStreetDiveBar.jpg.64da3c0803c8d985dc54870fd747e2a2.jpg

AlaskaAnanCreekoutofKetchikanbeareaglesushi.jpg.30233a826e67191bfcd0277188dab2ba.jpg

There is 'usually' a walk-up stand located right on the dock at Berth#1 that sells all kinds of unique burgers/dogs called the Grizzly Grill. I won't know until the first ship if they're opening back up this season. Here's a photo of their sandwich board.

I hope that helps!

ketchicanburgerstand.jpg

We stopped at the same stand last May. DH & DS had the elk burger. I can't remember what I had but it was probably chicken strips or a regular hamburger (I'm not food adventurous. LOL) That's my DH checking out the menu.

In the far left edge of the picture, you can see the bridge of one of the ships....this shows how close you are docked to downtown. Between the picnic tables and the ships is a drive way for vehicles.

Hi CMcG!! Sorry for the late response...

There are plenty of places to purchase warm layers - both selection & value.

I'd start at Tongass Trading Company, it's a huge brown building located in between Berth #2 & 3. Downstairs is all of the 'touristy' stuff - things with 'Alaska' stitched on it. There are plenty of warm jackets for $~20'ish and you can find them at Tongass Trading Company and several stores around town. If you can't find what you're looking for downstairs, head upstairs for a huge selection of high-quality, high price items.

A couple other places to try out that I like are The Mining Company - located across from Berth #1, and I can't remember the names but a couple of stores inside the Salmon Landing, also located directly across from Berth #1. You'll find that many of the stores sell similar items so if you find something you like, it probably won't be much less at the other stores.

And if you're looking for unique - try the Forget-me-Not sweater company just across the street from Whale Park (the Chief Kyan Totem Pole).

Of course - you could also check out Walmart! :-) There are free shuttles available - they pick up at the back corner of the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center. What you save in $$'s just might make up for what you spend in time to get there.

I hope that helped!

You're not late - I understand that you have a life outside of providing information to crazy tourists! :D

I saw the Forget-Me-Not web site - was poking around the Internet looking for unique Alaska items - their stuff is gorgeous! I may get some of that yarn I can't spell (the musk ox stuff) for next winter's knitting project. I have a list of places that sell the yarn already in my notes.

I'm just looking for fleece vest or jacket with Alaska on it - hubby has both a vest & jacket (probably from Great Smokey Mountain National Park) and they are great layers - don't know why I never got any since I'm always cold!

Hopefully we'll have time after Totem Bight & Rainbird Trail to pop into the stores. Appreciate your help.

Cheryl

If we can't get the 6:45 bus we may decide to use a taxi. Are taxis available at the dock or will we have to call for one? I'll be putting taxi company information in my phone for each port before we go to make life easy.

CMcG - I have an update for you. I was cruising through downtown today and realized there was a Bus Stop DIRECTLY across from Berth #4 - in front of the First City Saloon. Confused, I called the City and they explained this is indeed a Bus Stop and is called a 'Flag Stop' -meaning you stand at the Bus Stop sign and when you see the bus coming, you wave at them and they'll stop and pick you up! This will prevent the short 5 minute walk to get to the Eagle Totem Pole! That's great news! :-)

The Bus Stop is just across the street from the driveway entrance to Berth #4 (there's only one, you can't miss it!)

Hi kcfoxy!

What is the name of the biggish corner gift shop just a couple steps from Scanlon's Gallery...can see easily from the Dock area and in some of the Welcome sign photos. Found a really cool crytal paperweight there a few years ago, with our previous ship (HAL Amsterdam) etched into it, great and classy souvenir.

Do they still have that little bakery or candy store with the covered Oreos?

Got a little 6 pack with white, milk and dark chocolate covered treats and it was so delish :D

Also, while reading up, noticed we should be in Ketchikan (May 28th), in time for a bit of the King Salmon Derby. Would truly love to find tee shirts, baseball caps or other small momentos of this worthy event...any idea where to purchase? I was thinking Tongass Trading, as one of the sponsers, and right on the dock, but any other ideas???

I'll be honest - your first question stumped me for a minute! haha... Across the street from Scanlon the only two large-ish stores are right on the main corner is Tongass Trading store #3 (there are 3 in town and they're labeled). On the opposite corner, nearer the Salmon Etc. Store WAS a store called Alaska Trading Company who closed down at the end of last year. I called them to find out if they were going to re-open this season and they said no, they were only doing online orders. Their website is http://www.alaskatradingco.com/

Second - YES!!! Ketchikandies is simply incredible! I have a definite problem resisting their chocolate covered Oreos - I pick up a box several times a month - my favorite is the dark chocolate covered mint Oreos....yum..... :-) I love to even walk by and simply smell the amazing scents!!

As for the King Salmon Derby - I know they have things....and have called a couple people in the know to find out where they might be selling them. Right now I'm leaning towards telling you it probably won't be at Tongass Trading Co and more likely at Murray Pacific, which is at Berth #4 (and where you can get the 'Fish Fear Me' bumper stickers!). BUT....I'm not certain. When I hear back from those who know, I'll repost.

Of course you can always fish in the derby - for everyone who catches a fish, they give you a Derby hat pin! :-) Enjoy your visit!!

Dear Alaskandude,

We just found this thread and hope you can make some suggestions. We will be on the Sun Princess 7 day inside passage sailing from Seattle on 5/28/06. We really want to experience the "must see" excursions and we are willing to spend the money to make this a truely memorable cruise.

I've included our ships arrival and departure time for each port.

:D Ketchikan 6:30 am - 4:30 pm

We have been told that Misty Fjords should not be missed and we are thinking of the ship's Misty Fjords Seaplane Exploration which includes 65 minutes flight and 10 minute water landing, or the Misty Fjords Wilderness Cruise Flight which includes a catamaran cruise to the heart of the Misty Fjords Nat. Monument and a 30 minute flight back to Ketchikan.

I have also booked but haven't paid for Island Wings Misty Fjords Flight/Hike with Michelle but we can only do this one if I can find 2 more passengers.

:D Juneau 1:30 pm - 10:00 pm

We've been told not to miss the Glaciers tours and I am thinking that we should consider doing either the ship's 4 Glacier Adventure by Helicopter which includes a touch down on Norris or Taku glacier, or the Helicopter Glacier Walkabout which includes a "pilot's choice" touchdown and a 1 hour glacier walk. Or the Trek which include 2 hours on the glacier (my husband is leaning towards this one)

:D Skagway 6:00 am to 5:00 pm

My husband is really interested in the ships Heli-Hike & Rail Adventure which includes a flight over the Juneau icefield to Glacier Station, a 5 mile hike along remote Skagway River to view Laughton Glacier, then White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad back to Skagway.

:) We really want to land on a glacier and see Misty Fjords. Is there any other "must see" excursions that we are not taking into consideration? My husband would like to fish but only if we don't miss out on seeing as much as we can in the short time we have in these 3 ports! Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Debbie

I just found this thread and am so excited. We'll be on the Zuiderdam in July out of Vancouver on a 7-day Inside Passage cruise with stops just like yours. I was wondering which excursions you ended up going on in each port and if you could make any other recommendations.

Thanks.

Hi kcfoxy!

I'll be honest - your first question stumped me for a minute! haha... Across the street from Scanlon the only two large-ish stores are right on the main corner is Tongass Trading store #3 (there are 3 in town and they're labeled). On the opposite corner, nearer the Salmon Etc. Store WAS a store called Alaska Trading Company who closed down at the end of last year. I called them to find out if they were going to re-open this season and they said no, they were only doing online orders. Their website is http://www.alaskatradingco.com/

Great link, and sleuthing, flat rate package on the way!

Second - YES!!! Ketchikandies is simply incredible! I have a definite problem resisting their chocolate covered Oreos - I pick up a box several times a month - my favorite is the dark chocolate covered mint Oreos....yum..... :-) I love to even walk by and simply smell the amazing scents!!

Oh noes, double stuff chocolate covered mint (memo to self, must pack 'buffet' pants with elastic waist) :D

As for the King Salmon Derby - I know they have things....and have called a couple people in the know to find out where they might be selling them. Right now I'm leaning towards telling you it probably won't be at Tongass Trading Co and more likely at Murray Pacific, which is at Berth #4 (and where you can get the 'Fish Fear Me' bumper stickers!). BUT....I'm not certain. When I hear back from those who know, I'll repost.

Excellent...will need to bookmark this and check back frequently :p

Of course you can always fish in the derby - for everyone who catches a fish, they give you a Derby hat pin! :-) Enjoy your visit!!

thanks again, (insert first name), you are a realy Sweetie xoxoxo Casey

AAAInnocentDogandkittentogetherorWhoathatDaddyistall.jpg.962ef33cf9f257454db566b484aa68df.jpg

AlaskaKetchikanCreekStreetRayTrollSohoCoho.jpg.07d7a67e054ee2b067bd5cfccdde8f53.jpg

AlaskanSibHuskyGirlNikkiRVixen15months.jpg.18e0933fccd6e3dfbbe2de1ea28d5cca.jpg

MichelleGoatLake.jpg.9e4b0e64ee1a712b7cb64e8d323302c9.jpg

MalabearPupayaandherkittehSqueakersJan12.jpg.529686f488bc6620c696f5d2eef6c58c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
CMcG - I have an update for you. I was cruising through downtown today and realized there was a Bus Stop DIRECTLY across from Berth #4 - in front of the First City Saloon. Confused, I called the City and they explained this is indeed a Bus Stop and is called a 'Flag Stop' -meaning you stand at the Bus Stop sign and when you see the bus coming, you wave at them and they'll stop and pick you up! This will prevent the short 5 minute walk to get to the Eagle Totem Pole! That's great news! :-)

The Bus Stop is just across the street from the driveway entrance to Berth #4 (there's only one, you can't miss it!)

Great - gotta save my energy for all the walking I'll be doing everywhere else in town! Still have to see if we can get off the ship fast enough to make that 6:45 bus - since I don't want to have to rush at Totem Bight or on Rainbird Trail.

Thanks again - be there in 3 week!:D

• 1 month later...
Okay CMcG! Sorry it took so long for the report on the Rainbird Trail - the weather just wasn't good last week. But we've had 4 simply marvelous days (sunshine and temps in the 50's!) so we made this a priority! :-)

DH & I took off at the College. FYI, from where you're dropped off from the bus, the trailhead is just to the left of the building on the left. :-) There is a sign indicating the trail.

The trail starts off gravel and begins it's upward climb. The trail surface changes many times - from gravel to wooden steps, tree roots, large rocks, etc. All during the hike you are rewarded with amazing trees (check out the large one I pictured - it was HUGE!) and even in Spring it was very green. The ferns were gorgeous and the berry bushes were just beginning to send out their new shoots. OK, sorry, I'll get back to the hike! haha...

So at the beginning it's a decent uphill with steps interspersed. It will get your heart rate up but it's not a killer. It levels off and the walk is great. You cross a few itty bitty creeks (you can get across in a short hop), the sound making the hike all the more pleasurable!

About 1/2 way you will run into a set of steps going down hill - keep going - this is the 2nd set of stairs that run back down to the street. You want to keep going.

Then you get your first view of the panoramic views....and it's gorgeous! We stopped & took lots of pictures (and even found a geocache!) and kept on, the trail terminates at the 1st set of stairs, and then you walk down to the ship.

OK, so....it took us 48 minutes to get from the trailhead to the staircase, which included time to stop & talk with people passing by (it was a BUSY hike yesterday - everyone in town seemed to be outside!) & take water & photo stops (I took 58 photos). We walked at a moderate pace, not hoofing it but not meandering either.

I continued to walk while DH hiked back to the car and picked me up at Berth #4. From the staircase to Berth #4 it took me 25 minutes.

So.....the hour to walk the trail and 30 minutes to get back to the ship seem very reasonable to me! :-)

Oh, the hiking poles I think you'll find helpful. I started out with 2 jackets on (it was cool when we began!) and quickly shed those and was holding a water bottle and found I could have used a free hand at times. I usually hike with a backpack and clear hands but wasn't thinking this time! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can trip over air.

As for Taxis - they will be lined up at the entrance to Berth 4, waiting for passengers. They have either per mile charges or per hour rates (~$75). There are 3 in town, my preference is Sourdough Cabs - 907-225-5544. Also Yellow Taxi 907-225-5555, & Alaska Cab 907-225-2133. You can either call them when you want to be picked up or can make an arrangement with them to be back at a specific time to pick you up.

Enjoy the photos - and the hike, you'll love it! :-)

We're back and somewhat returned to normal so I thought I'd better report in!:D

Had an uneventful bus ride from Totem Bight & successful transfer to get to the University for the Rainbird Trail - but ran into a bit of a snag at the trailhead. They have torn up the parking lot and have closed the trailhead as you cannot get to it without crossing their construction site (a nice lady took pity on us and guided us through the building).

We were lucky to have a sunshiny day - our layers came off part way through the hike & stuffed into backpacks. I was in a polo shirt & hubby in a Tshirt - we even got sunburned! The trekking poles came in very handy - both for the steep parts and for keeping my balance in general. Probably took us a bit longer to hike it and get back to town but we were taking in the sights & hubby set up a tripod for pictures several times.

Thanks again Renee for all your help - we had a delightful time in Ketchikan!

Cheryl

Archived