Are Celebrity Century Beverage Packages worth it?

OOB

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy one type of drinks package prior to sailing, for example, a non alcoholic or classic alcoholic and then upgrade to another package during the duration of the cruise, for example the premium alcohol package?

We're thinking of purchasing drinks packages prior to cruising and I think I'd probably be ok with the classic alcoholic one, but it would be nice to know that I could upgrade to the premium one half way through the cruise if I so wished. If it is possible, would we just end up paying the difference between the two packages or would Celebrity over charge us?

• 3 months later...

In researching Celebrity pre-paid drinks packages prior to our May 2012 cruise on the Eclipse, I note somewhere that you "are not allowed" to share a package! So if I purchase a, say, Classic package and order a bottle of wine with dinner, whats to stop me 'sharing' it with my dining partner?

In researching Celebrity pre-paid drinks packages prior to our May 2012 cruise on the Eclipse, I note somewhere that you "are not allowed" to share a package! So if I purchase a, say, Classic package and order a bottle of wine with dinner, whats to stop me 'sharing' it with my dining partner?

First, you can not order a bottle of wine with the packages. The packages are only good for wines by the glass. This is one of the reasons' we've not considered either of the alcoholic packages. While Celebrity has an OK wine by the glass list it is very short and limited in comparison to the wide variety of wines by the bottle available on board.

Second, Hopefully your honesty and integrity will prevent you from sharing the package when it is against the rules. If so then you won't have to begin to worry about what procedures the cruise line has in place to prevent this.

We're frequent cruisers (two a year for the past few years) and I used to think our bar bills were pretty high - that is until I saw the prices of the beverage packages and the number of cruisers here who think they are a good deal.

My own conclusion is that they are pretty expensive and only worthwhile if you are an above average consumer. As a bit if a number cruncher I've done a lot of analysis of recent cruise accounts and our past consumption always fell short of the package prices. Worse yet the packages do not include room service (we have a lot of bottled water delivered to our cabin) or wine by the bottle (much larger and more varied selection than wines by the glass).

Larry I agree with your post 100%. My DH and I thought we drank a good amount on our cruises but our bar bill never came close to what they charge for the beverage packages. Also as you stated we like to order bottled wine.

Now that the Elite benefits include free happy hour our bar bills are even less. So the drink packages for us are a definite NO.

Anne Maria

Also keep in mind you don't have to buy the beverage package for the full duration of your cruise.

On our 14 day Eclipse Baltic cruise, I only purchased it for the last 4 days of the cruise when we had several days at sea. It worked well for me as I upgraded from the regular soda package and enjoyed my fill of specialty coffees as well as sampling nearly every scrumptious concoction the fabulous Martini Bar had to offer. ;)

Can you select which days you want the drinks package or is it the case that when you select it, it remains "in force" for the rest of the cruise?

Can you select which days you want the drinks package or is it the case that when you select it, it remains "in force" for the rest of the cruise?

You must purchase it for the entire cruise or if bought after the cruise begins then for the remainder of the cruise.

Archived