Fashion do's and don't's for guys

FmrMarine

Crocs are for babies at the beach and ladies gardening.

Awwwh my H looks cute in his crocs. But yes, agree, jean shorts are ick. My H wears leather penney loafers or boat shoes with linen pants generally with no socks or no-shows.

• 1 month later...
Let's just say this: TMI!!!

Ive seen tons of women that apply to the "TMI" rule as well..Not just us guys wearing Speedos. I also wear them, and I have the body for one and its not coverd in hair..

Mabie all you women should start wearing long boardshorts and other guys type swimtrunks for awile, and you will see how we feel.

I hope you're a woman - then that's ok. These posting are related to men's fashion.

An exception to this rule, especially for cruising, is linen pants. A nice pair of leather sandals is fine to wear with linen pants.

My two cents on some of the debated topics:

No jean shorts! You may be comfortable in them, you ro your SO may think they look fine. Just stay away - it is a rare person that will be able to get away with jean shorts.

When wearing shorts, the only acceptable sock choice are very low-cut. If the sock height exceeds the shoe you are starting to enter dangerous territory. Color is fine as long as it matches the shoe.

Jewelry: Watch - ok, wedding band - ok, bracelet - maybe ok if no watch; necklace - one maybe, only in casual situations, and even can appear obnoxious.

A couple of other thing I forget if they been brought up or not:

1) No white socks with pants! (unless athletic wear) But I'm wearing white sneakers you may say....

2) No sneakers with pants, only low profile/casual ones with jeans. Please, no big white hi-tops with your jeans or khakis.

This is fun!

Ohhhh..PLEASE!!!!! Dosent matter what us guys wear, sombody will always dissaprove. Im still wearing my Kilts and Speedos..:D

• 1 month later...

Wow, Never really thought about what others are wearing, I guess We have just been having too much fun to notice or really care for that matter, But then again We tend to judge others by the content of their character not the covering on their bodies!

Suits on vacation? Isn't this an oxymoron? I haven't worn a tie since I retired three years ago. I have worn a sport jacket once for a wedding. It sounds like I have to dress up for a job interview rather than going to dinner on a boat. No thanks.:p

For all, clean and well fitting. The only rule.

For men. Black socks and shorts scream German tourist. been there saw that, a real no-no.

Shorts and sandals or tennis shoes with short socks are my preference, but whatever floats your boat. Some people are unable to wear socks with dye. Get over it when they wear slacks and white socks.

I'll be on deck wearing my Levi shorts and Aloha shirts. One of the formal nights I'll be wearing black, suit, shirt, and tie. I'll set my style. Never read GQ, been married 40 years so I only need to dress to impress my special one. Let the lemmings read GQ to find out what someone wants them to buy.

Momma don't dress this one.:cool:

The best tip we found prior to our last cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse was that men are able to hire a tux for $85 complete with 2 shirts, bow tie, cummerbund etc. which took care of 3 formal nights and a lot less to pack - and it's delivered to your stateroom!

Suits on vacation? Isn't this an oxymoron? I haven't worn a tie since I retired three years ago. I have worn a sport jacket once for a wedding. It sounds like I have to dress up for a job interview rather than going to dinner on a boat. No thanks.:p

Occasionally I wear a Tux on the longer cruises that have at 2 formal nights or if im going with all my family. If Im going with one other person or alone, you wont see me in a tux. I stay casual on vacations and cruises. On formal nights I will wear a collared shirt and decent shoes for dinner on formal nights. And of course one of my better looking Utilikilts.:)

I think the dress up "thing" became more popular on all the cruises ever since the movie "titanic" came out, so people think there all in "1st class" by walking around ship looking ritch like in the movie. Look at all the "grand staircases" that are mocked from the movie on most ships now, even on the background for the photogaphers.

Occasionally I wear a Tux on the longer cruises that have at 2 formal nights or if im going with all my family. If Im going with one other person or alone, you wont see me in a tux. I stay casual on vacations and cruises. On formal nights I will wear a collared shirt and decent shoes for dinner on formal nights. And of course one of my better looking Utilikilts.:)

I think the dress up "thing" became more popular on all the cruises ever since the movie "titanic" came out, so people think there all in "1st class" by walking around ship looking ritch like in the movie. Look at all the "grand staircases" that are mocked from the movie on most ships now, even on the background for the photogaphers.

Actually, as little as 10 years ago formal nights meant formal, not semi-formal, not wear a shirt with a tie, no jacket. Fast forward and now the trend has become far less formal than it was before the movie Titanic.

Another amusing thing is that, some of the more upscale lines have done away with formal.

That the centrums have become larger and have beautiful staircases is not such a bad thing, but the mockups for portrait taking whether it is a Titanic like staircase or a ship background is a bit silly looking. Personally, I like the white backgrounds a lot more.

Archived