Port call in Naples on June 2 - Anniversary of the Republic (Italian holiday)

annimal

Hello,

My family and I will be on the Liberty of the Seas sailing the Western Mediterranean this coming May/June. Our last stop is in Naples on Thursday, June 2nd which is the Anniversary of the Republic according to the Italian holiday schedule for 2011. We would like to visit Positano, Amalfi and Ravello at this port call. Does anyone know if the Amalfi coast will be busier than normal with locals on holiday and/or if many sights, shops, restaurants, etc. will be closed due to the holiday? Will hydrofoils and ferries run on this day as well as other public transporation? Another transporation method we could do is a private tour but as there are 10 people in our group, we would end up in a larger shuttle/bus. I think I remember something about large tour buses (for 40+ passengers) not being able to drive on the coastal road during holidays, but does that apply to our smaller bus (i.e. a 10 - 16 passenger bus)? Does anyone have experience or insight on this?

Hi Annimal,

2 years ago my hubby and I took a Med cruise around the May 1st, a holiday for both France and Italy. Whether in May or June, any holiday in Italy can be a travel NIGHTMARE! Would highly recommend a private small tour or do a shore excursion with your ship. The problem with trying to use a train or ferry or even a taxi is that they might go by a schedule or they might not, they may work in the morning and not later, that is they way of things in Italy during a holiday. You are also right about the locals going out, especially the beaches, on a holiday so the roads will be jammed. Small tours, less than 8-10 passenger mini vans will have no problem getting into Positano, etc....

Since you have that # of people set up a private tour ahead of time. We pulled into Naples on the above mentioned cruise and took the ferry to Sorrento and the train back, had a fabulous time, but would not go that route on a holiday. This May we are doing a Greek Isle cruise that is stopping in Naples. I have arranged a tour for 6 people to Positano, Pompeii and driving the Amalfi coast thru http://www.carsorrento.it The person I am dealing with is Renato Cuomo. He has been very professional. Good luck! Have a great cruise.

smiles,

Boobuns

Hello,

My family and I will be on the Liberty of the Seas sailing the Western Mediterranean this coming May/June. Our last stop is in Naples on Thursday, June 2nd which is the Anniversary of the Republic according to the Italian holiday schedule for 2011. We would like to visit Positano, Amalfi and Ravello at this port call. Does anyone know if the Amalfi coast will be busier than normal with locals on holiday and/or if many sights, shops, restaurants, etc. will be closed due to the holiday? Will hydrofoils and ferries run on this day as well as other public transporation? Another transporation method we could do is a private tour but as there are 10 people in our group, we would end up in a larger shuttle/bus. I think I remember something about large tour buses (for 40+ passengers) not being able to drive on the coastal road during holidays, but does that apply to our smaller bus (i.e. a 10 - 16 passenger bus)? Does anyone have experience or insight on this?

The NCL Epic is in port on the same day. On our Roll Call scoochy12 received an email back from the tourist office in Capri - the summer schedule for the ferry / hydrofoil is not out yet.

Not sure if that was part of your plan, this info was good for 1st Feb. No idea when the schedule will be released.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Naples on a national holiday, and my nephew had warned me that the highway could become a mess. We took the shore ex to Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri. The hydrofoil did run. Highway traffic was very congested, and the sidewalk in Capri was so crowded I couldn't get to Augustus' Garden. If you can get a head start by taking a hydrofoil, do that. Whatever you do, allow extra time for your return. We were around 45 minutes late, but since we were on the ship tour, we didn't get left.

Archived