Help a newbie out please

mama_2_boys

This is our 4th cruise, but 1st time getting insurance. I have compared several and I think we are going with Travel Insured.

My questions are (and I've looked this up online but can't find an answer):

1) Do I insure the exact amount of our cruise or round up?

2) We are driving down the day before and staying at a hotel do I add that cost in the final trip cost for insurance?

3) Do I put the dates of our trip starting the day of the cruise or the day before when we are driving down?

Thanks in advance for any help!

This is our 4th cruise, but 1st time getting insurance. I have compared several and I think we are going with Travel Insured.

My questions are (and I've looked this up online but can't find an answer):

1) Do I insure the exact amount of our cruise or round up?

2) We are driving down the day before and staying at a hotel do I add that cost in the final trip cost for insurance?

3) Do I put the dates of our trip starting the day of the cruise or the day before when we are driving down?

Thanks in advance for any help!

For questions #1 and #2:

The amount you insure depends on the policy and your particular situation. With many plans you MUST insure 100% of your trip cost in order to get coverage for pre-existing medical conditions and/or the Cancel For Any Reason benefit. So if you need any of those coverages you need to look at the plan wording to find out where you stand. You don't mention which Travel Insured plan you're looking at but here's wording from the WorldWide Protector plan:

"1) Pre-Existing Conditions, as defined in the Definitions section (except Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains), unless the policy is purchased within 21 days of the initial Trip deposit. The booking for the Trip must be the first and only booking for this travel period and destination, You are not disabled from travel at the time You pay the premium, and You must purchase this policy for the full non-refundable cost of Your Trip;"

So, as you can see, if you need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions you need to insure anything that would not be refundable if you cancel at the last minute (basically if you're a no-show).

For the cruise that will be the full amount paid although some will refund the taxes -- check with the cruise line. For the hotel, you need to check with them also. Odds are if you're a no-show you'll be charged one night's cost.

If you don't need the pre-ex coverage you can insure as little or as much of the trip cost as you'd like. You'll find that the trip cost/premiums are in $500 brackets. so if your trip cost adds up to $1507 and you DON'T need the pre-ex coverage you'd be better off just insuring $1500. But be real careful with this. Travel Insured applies the pre-ex exclusion to non-traveling family members also so if there's any doubt, insure it all just to be on the safe side.

As for question #3 Yes, insure your full trip dates. It won't raise the premium and you want to be covered for things like emergency evacuation even before boarding the ship.

1) The exact amount.

2) "Trip Cost" only refers to non-refundable payments. So, if your Hotel is not pre-paid (or is refundable), you need not "protect" it, as there would be 0% chance you could collect on a claim on expenses you never incurred due to canceling.

3) The day you leave your home.

Archived