Why not more options?

IluvZ

Hi All,

Having been to Belize twice already, we have been researching other options for the port. Given the amount of information I find on the discussions for other ports (i.e.: Cozumel), I have been curious why we don't have more information on Belize. I have search through the threads extensively so I don't think I've missed the information.

For example, I haven't been able to find any good information (pre-2008) that talks about the taxi rates I can expect to find to various locations. Or advice on if it's better to use the taxi's inside the TV or outside.

Also, no one has talked at all some attractions that are close and seem to be really nice options. For example, I would love to hear about the Baboon Sanctuary in comparison to Crooked Tree. Both seem interesting and within a distance that is close enough to hire a taxi to visit.

Last time we were there we had a great day, after the stress of hiring a taxi outside the TV. We ended up at the Zoo for $50 total. The driver said any other stop, once we were on our way with him, was fine and covered in the fee. We ended up at a local grocery store and enjoyed beers in the taxi on the way back. We will do something like this again but it would be helpful to have some knowledge on what location to choose and what we should expect to spend.

The ships wont tell you about anything they don't offer.

Belize is a new country and still slow in the way things are done. The amount of tourists that visit Belize is a small comparison to other countries. We have no franchise businesses. No Pepsi, its hard to get a lot of info.

Just last week I had to travel to Belmopan, A 45 min flight. for something that should of been taken care of with a fax machine.

Belize is a slow country, but that is its charm.

you have to dig for info. A good site for local info is the Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board.

However, for cruise ship info I would stick with Cruise Critic.

I had the same problem last year. I did extensive searching. I think one reason is, there isn't as much to do there (compared to somewhere like Cozumel). They have a few main things everyone tends to want to do: Cavetubing, ziplining, the ruins.

Another reason is, the distance it takes to get places. We did Caye Caulker last year because we have done the "popular things". It was okay and we had a nice time once there, but I wouldn't do it again because of the distance to get there (take a 20 minute into Belize, take a water taxi back out 45 minutes one way and then repeat!)

Also, I don't find that Belize isn't as organized as other places. They don't have the "taxi rate chart" with the taxis all lined up, ready to go, like in other places.

I even looked into things like the Blue Hole and other private tours I found online but it is too far and you would need to take a small plane to get there. Those things are for people that fly into Belize.

Next time we do go to Belize, we will probably just stay on the ship since we have done the things they do offer.

Good luck.

Back in the early 2000's when Belize was just forming its tourism economy, there was conscious decision to develop as a eco tourism spot. Given that 40% of the county is national park. That limits a lot of things. There are not many beaches in that part of the country and tendering so far to miss the reef is a negitive for development as a tourist trap like other sites.

On a good day 9000 cruisers are in town and most leave the town immediately for the eco tours. Places set up for beach and snorkleing are either on the cays or in the southern part of the country. It is not feasable to go that far in a short amount of time. There is a strong economy in those areas but it is mostly for people who come and stay a week or so and not cruisers.

Back in the early 2000's when Belize was just forming its tourism economy, there was conscious decision to develop as a eco tourism spot. Given that 40% of the county is national park. That limits a lot of things. There are not many beaches in that part of the country and tendering so far to miss the reef is a negitive for development as a tourist trap like other sites.

On a good day 9000 cruisers are in town and most leave the town immediately for the eco tours. Places set up for beach and snorkleing are either on the cays or in the southern part of the country. It is not feasable to go that far in a short amount of time. There is a strong economy in those areas but it is mostly for people who come and stay a week or so and not cruisers.

I get that they are set up for Eco Tourism but it seems that they are really missing big opportunities to showcase other items around the port. It's too bad, because I see so many people say "don't get off the boat" because they think there is nothing to do other than cave tubing.

Oh well, we will find our own way, as we usually do, and probably have a great time in Belize.

Archived