Toddler to Galapagos

Well, it looks like our cruise is actually going to happen!

Has anyone taken a toddler to the Galapagos? Our littlest will be 3 during the cruise. I'm not big on swimming, so I'm fine not doing snorkelling activities, and she love animals and hikes (in the babypack) and is a great travellor. (Very mellow and flexible)

The Lindblad rep told my mom that it wasn't a problem having such a young one aboard ship. Does anyone have any first hand experience or tips.

We will be on the larger ship (not the Islander)

Oh, and one other question (I hate to spam such a low volume forum with too many questions)

Just how casual is this cruise? I'm not worried about being overdressed, but I am travelling with my formal averse husband and our 12 year old. Those two, left to their own devices, will interpret casual as t-shirt and jeans. Would you suggest we push it up a notch for meals? (I promise to make them shower, but I want guidance as to hour much further to push it!)

I'm leaving Friday for the islands on Endeavour (photo exp). I'm not packing anything formal. In fact I just went back and repacked as I was pushing the weight limit of 40#s. I will wear my hiking shoes on the plane, and packed my Tevas. That's it for shoes. I threw in 2 pairs of capris and 4 tees for dinner. From what I've read, no one is going to say anything if you wear something more than once. Plus, I will probably pick up a shirt or two in town.

My clothes for exploring are all sunblocking and quick drying (Columbia-long sleeve shirts with sleeves that roll up, and zip off pants), and only packed a few items. I plan on washing them in the sink/shower and hanging them to dry. Have to leave room in the luggage for souvenirs for the kiddos!

As for bringing a toddler-kudos for you. I would have loved to have brought my kids, but maturity and money were big issues (9 and 5.5 yrs). The 9 yr old could've done it, the 5 yr old would love it from the animal perspective. From photos I've seen of some of the hikes, you may have problems on a few as it looks like you have to climb over boulders of lava. Lava can be slippery and sharp, so do be careful. Also, from what my dad has told me (he's been there already), some of the landings can be tricky (slippery, rocky, crumbling landings).

When are you planning on going? Also keep in mind the sun is super strong and your little one might get overheated easily. I know they do offer family trips-might be more fun for your kids to have other kids along.

Hiking boots and Tevas or Keens are perfect. I wish I had taken hiking boots instead of Brooks.

T shirts/polos with shorts or pants/jeans rule the meals. The only 11 year old that a dad sent back to change had on a ragged sleeveless t.

Think adventure not cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Not until mid August.

Looks like our ship will be full of kids, though. Which should be great for our 12 year old. But no other kids below 5!

We just filled our our information packet for Lindblad, and they asked about mobility restrictions in event of emergency. I did check that the little one had trouble with stairs (reason being....toddler) I'm guessing they want us to be accurate!

Oh, and in case someone else reads this, can anyone who's been on this trip tell us if it will be practical to bring a carseat? I'd really love one for the plane, as she will sleep much better vs just harnessed into the seat. (Both of our flights go overnight) However, we'd either have to leave it at the hotel. And I don't think we go back to the hotel at the end of the trip. Or, store it on the ship (will there be room?)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from the Endeavour. Absolutely amazing all the way! You will love it! As for the car seat-the first night we stayed at the Hilton Colon in Guayaquil, and returned there for the last night. If this applies to you, then yes you can leave the car seat at the hotel. If you're not staying at the same hotel, then I would leave it at home. There isn't much room in the cabins to store a car seat (maybe in the closet, depending on how big/wide it is). I had a single cabin, but there really is no place to store large items. They won't be able to store it for you (double check by asking before you go). There is ample storage under the bed for suitcases though.

As for dress, a few people were dressed "smart casual" at dinner, but for the most part shorts, tees,polos, capris a few dresses. Some wore the same clothes they wore during the day. I brought 2 pairs of capris and 4 tess which I switched out. No one cares about what you are wearing since packing light is crucial. There is laundry service on board. I washed my clothes in the sink and they dried quickly (light weight wicking type material). I later discovered a dryer in the gym on the top deck. Some (including me) went barefoot (though usually not for dinner). The food was really good too-you won't starve. I was amazed I had lost weight on the trip. Shoes-I took a pair of Tevas which I used for wet landings, and a pair of Merrill low-hikers which I wore the most. Next time, I will throw in a pair of flip flops for on the ship since my Tevas were usually wet.

We had about 8 kids from 10 yrs -18 yrs. They were very well behaved and the staff provided activities for them like coloring, and their fav, learning to drive the pangas! All the kids sat together at dinner by the 2nd or 3rd night, and one of the naturalists would join them.

I plan to do a full review in the next few days, so look for that. The staff was wonderful and there was plenty to do. You will have a great time!

Archived