Good tour companies?

Liss

I'm sure the information is enbedded in many messages below but ... any recommendations for good tour companies to use on St. Kitts? ALso, do we need to make reservations before we arrive or is it easy to find a good tour?

Count our family as fans of Thenford as well. He is great. Very knowlegable about his island. We had a great time with him on New Years Day this year.

The Zombie Master

We were very happy with Thenford Grey. You can book in advance by email with no deposit, or hope to find him at the terminal when you get there. He has a nice, spacious van with air conditioning.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from St Kitts and used Ashton, he's the cousin of Royston from Royston Tours. What a great day, he will cater your tour to what you want to do. We did the entire island, with stops at Brimstone, Jefferson plantation as well as many others along the way.

He even got us lunch which we had at the beach and still had time to shop at the port for over an hour.

Ashton is a terrific guy and really loves his island you can tell. I would recommend him to anyone!

I joined up with someone who had booked with Rose and Jim. They promised us a customized tour for just the 4 of us. A week before we went we found out there would be 13. When we got to the dock there were 9 additional people who had reserved (but then never showed up) It's not Jim's fault but there was a very boisterous, partying group of 6 ladies in our van. They bought and consumed alcohol at every single stop.

By the time we got to S. Friars beach I had had enough noise - only to discover the most crowded beach I had ever been to. We walked way down to the end of the beach where there were no people, just construction noise from a new resort. We tried to order food at the Shipwreck bar but after waiting 50 minutes our nachos never came (how hard is it to throw cheese on chips) and the taxi was ready to go. Sorry, I don't go to a beach to waste nearly an hour sitting in a restaurant waiting for food. I really wish Jim had told us to either bring food or get it at one of the viewpoint stops because I was getting pretty crabby by the time we got back to the ship around 4pm

Mindthegap - see her post above - was in Rose's van the same day we were in Jim's and she had a completely different experience. I guess there's just no way to predict what you'll get.

We were very happy with Thenford Grey. You can book in advance by email with no deposit, or hope to find him at the terminal when you get there. He has a nice, spacious van with air conditioning.

We did a tour with Thenford in January this year and had a great day! We love learning about the islands we visit as well as seeing them, and Thenford does not disappoint. He loves his island and knows so much about the history, and beauty of St. Kitts. His tour takes you end to end of the island and you get to see so much, and yet, you don't feel like you've done 'too much'. His price is very reasonable, the bus is very clean and comfy, and he is really nice.

We did "The Tour" his web address is thenfordgrey . com (take out the spaces) Have fun!

Nancy

We used Greg's Safaris. Great tour of the island interior. It was the sugar plantation tour. Very good tour guide, he was very knowledgeable.

I second the vote for Greg's Safaris. I have booked his tours twice now and I will book again in April. His "Off the Beaten Track" sugar plantation tour takes you some really interesting historical places. You go to old sugar plantation estates, old sugar mills, and learn so much about the history of the island. He provides a little picnic of island drink, fruit, and baked goods. He takes you up into the bit of the rainforest and the views of the ship from there are spectacular.

He also offers hiking tours and rainforest tours. I have heard good reports about those tours. He really has a love of the island and is a wealth of knowledge.

• 3 weeks later...

We did a tour with Rosevelt Taylor last Oct and he made it easy to organize the tour. Each couple or person contacted him and gave him our name for the group. That way we did not have to handle any money. Everyone delt directly with him. He gave us a price that was not totally dependent on the number in our group. We organized a group of CC members on the cruise.

The tour was great.

Check the trips here...http://www.roseandjimstaxi.com/ourtours.htm

They offer tours at a great price. We didn't use them because they were full. Gordon offers the same tours for the same price. Rose referred us to Gordon... gordoncarey2010@hotmail.com or 869-762-2097. He was awesome...and provided a little "extra" because he is from St. Kitts. New van with A/C. He was great!! I would love to go back and do another tour with him!

I'm sure the information is enbedded in many messages below but ... any recommendations for good tour companies to use on St. Kitts? ALso, do we need to make reservations before we arrive or is it easy to find a good tour?

We just got back and used Rose and Jim's. Rose gave us the best tour we have had on any island. She is very personable, and gave us plenty of information on the island and it's people. If we are lucky enough to return to St. Kitts, we wouldn't hesitate to take another tour with her.

We recently took a tour with Rose and Jim's and it was one of the best tours we ever had. There were 8 of us in an A/C van and Rose provided us with a wonderful tour of St. Kitts. She was willing to stop anywhere for pictures and told us so much about the island. Highly recommend.:)

My husband and I recently went on an incredible volcano hike on the island of St. Kitts. If you are athletic, fit or enjoy hiking this is a great tour. Our guide was David and he was great! He carried homemade bread (made by his wife) and fresh orange juice all the way up the volcano for the whole group. During the hike he talked about the local plants and animals in the forest. There is a great photo op at the top of the volcano. We finished our hike early because our group was in pretty good shape so David offered to take us to a local beach. He was incredibly accomodating and really gave us our money's worth. $70/person for 6 hours. If you enjoy a good sweat in the lush environment of a rainforest, you'll enjoy this.

• 4 months later...

We did the Rainforest Tour with Greg Safaris in February 2011. First a quick stop at the Sugar Plantation, then a great hike in the Rain Forest near the Zip lines. Many animal sightings. Very knowledgeable guide. Had a nice lunch afterwards .

Sorry I never posted review but my head was still in cruiseland..........Javin, OMG the best tour we have ever taken in the Caribbean with exception to Bernard on St Martin.

Bernard on St Martin is our favorite and Javin is right up there in our rankings with him.

Professional, loves the Island, so much history, great drivers, safe, interesting and makes you feel so welcome! Can't wait to go back and join Javin again!

Also check out the reviews, we did and am so glad we made the right choice. We sailed with CC people that booked other companies, in no way did they have the great experience we did with Javin. They had a good tour but in no way was it so personalized.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147373-d1945883-r114824939-Myislands_Tours_by_Javin-St_Kitts_and_Nevis.html#REVIEWS

• 3 months later...

We had a great tour with Thenford Grey- here is a copy of my review:

Thenford Grey’s trip was probably the best shore excursion we have ever been on. Thenford was a complete gentleman and took the time to explain the island to us and was a wealth of information and was the complete opposite experience as we had in St Lucia (if you are booking in St Lucia please be sure to read my review of James Touring so you can avoid having the horrific experience we had.)

Upon our exit from the ship we found Thenford himself waiting for us. He introduced himself and explained what we were going to do for the day and that we were waiting for a couple other people. Once they arrived we got on the road and Thenford immediately began explaining the neighborhoods and interesting sites. He was very knowledgeable and if he didn’t know the answer he looked it up. The van was very nice and air conditioned but not too cold. We drove along the roads and then stopped at the place where there were petroglyphs- Thenford explained in a nice way (and not like we were stupid tourists,) that there would be people along our way with monkeys- if we wanted pictures it would be expected that we would pay for them. If not we could tell them no thank you.

I am not a fan of monkeys so I didn’t partake but there was a woman on our tour who did want to and Thenford let her borrow some ones because she didn’t have any small bills. This is what really sets him apart from other tour operators. He is a gentleman who cares about his clients, their comforts and desires. Never once did he seem annoyed by our questions or did he think they were stupid. After the petroglyphs we drove up to Romney mansion and the Batik store- Romney mansion is beautiful and Thenford offered to use our cameras to take photos of us- again a nice thing to do. The Batik store was beautiful and had a lot of nice gifts at decent prices. Thenford was also very knowledgeable about all the plants and flowers in the garden-knowing the names and background stories on all of them. After Romney manor we were taken to the Fort- it is beautiful and looks out over the sea. He drove very carefully unlike some other drivers we have had and explained the forts history on the way up.

He let us walk around as much as we wanted then took us to a lookout point where you can see where the Caribbean and Atlantic meet and then down to the beach at Shipwreck (I think that was what it was called,) beach. We did not take snorkel gear but understand there was some good snorkeling. We ate a good lunch there and then he took us back to the ship. At the amount he charges you get a very good deal for what you get. We had a marvelous time and can honestly say that this is one tour guide who deserves all the praise he receives.

• 4 weeks later...

We enjoyed Thenford Grey. I got a group together from our M&M thread. We had a fabulous time and he was very knowlegeable. No payment until the end of tour. You would be very happy if you want a good overall view of St. Kitts.

Archived